• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Help Writing An Outline

Rogue Robot

Bluelight Crew
Ok, if you can believe it, I have managed to not have to do this since I was in high school, and that was some time ago. I have to write an outline for a proposed paper in a class.

I know the basics as far as providing a topic, intro, etc., but how far in depth should I be getting? I haven't started the paper yet, obviously, but I'm having trouble with what exactly I should put in my outline.

This is supposed to only be a rough outline, but I obviously don't want to hand in a total piece of crap.

Any suggestions?

If it helps, this is for a graduate level geology course, if that's relevant.

Lacking the specifics, here's how I would do it.

The scientific articles I've read have a remarkably formal structure, for all the range of topics covered. They usually start with a statement of the problem, pass on to an overview of past research, then to the authors' own research vis-a-vis past study, and then conclude. I'd set up a framework like this before I even did any research, say like:

[Subject]
1.) Overview.
2) Past study / discussion.
3.) My discussion.
4.) Conclusion and/or remaining questions.

That in hand, I'd find topics to fit into each those slots, thereby giving some order to the occasionally chaotic process of gathering and printing notes.

Thank you. My outline is fairly barebones at this point, but I don't suspect my professor expects much as this is just a proposal outline, and we just started class last week. :)

I hate outlines. Are you required to submit one? I always wrote my college papers without them, but for freelancing I submit an outline for clients. When I make one, I usually have an idea of how I want to layout the book, and then I research each topic for the chapter and write down a shore point for each one.

My outlines look kinda like this:

Chapter I - title
a. point i
b. point ii
Chapter II - title
a. point i
b. point ii

in other words, I don't get too detailed with outlines.

Yeah, he wanted us to propose an outline of a research paper for our class that's due at the end of the term. He told us to select a topic somewhat covered in class or something that he is familiar with, make an outline to submit for him to add questions/comments, and turn it in. I seriously have not ever had to do this. It makes me feel dumb. :\

You should name your points or whatever. Evidence. Maybe direct quotes or facts you're going to be using. It's more about having everything on there and organized.

Outline:

1. Basic intro to the topic
2. Summary of research done on the topic already + gap analysis - as in what is the gap in knowledge that you are going to be filling with this research
3. What you plan to do - methodology/experimental set up etc, just a rough outline of what you plan to do and why.
4. Results and Discussion - although you won't need this for an outline...
5. Conclusions and future work.

Doneskis!!