• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Working Out On Xanax?

BatmanX

Bluelighter
What do you guys think? Plan to start working out tomorrow. Does anyone have any experience training on xanax? I don't get to sedated from 1mg but I feel like i would get really tired. What do you guys think?

It's pretty hard to do. In my experience, it flat out weakens you. It just makes you too relaxed to have an effective workout.

On the other hand, Adderall/Dexedrine is a surefire way to have a long and productive workout. You don't want to use it on a consistent basis, but it comes in handy, from time to time. GL

Yeah, I would save the Xanax for comedown time after your workout. Or better yet, at night before you go to sleep, to enhance your rest so you can have more energy for next day's workout.

I've been taking low-dose Xanax for several years for sleep. I have no complaints using it for that purpose. But after I take .5mg, I feel my muscles weaken and relax. Every action is an effort. Personally, I would never want to take it before a workout. It feels like it saps your strength. It gives me absolutely the opposite feeling that I'd want to have for a great workout. .02.

Ya, thats what I was kind of thinking, cuz I do feel really weak when on em.

be careful working out on any type of pills though, they all can be harmful to your lungs and heart beside other important body parts

working out on downers is pretty impossible from my experience. uppers work but be careful and monitor your heart rate, your body will get used to it though. i used to do four hour gymnastics training sessions tweaked out of my mind, but now i've paid a price and have a heart condition and can no longer compete.

Last edited:
benzos are muscle relaxants. by working out you are attempting to utilise your muscles until micro-atrophy occurs, and the new muscle fibres increase in diameter (NOT in number).
Anyway, the point is, your plan has no pros whatsoever. Stimulants would be best, but even then blood pressure is an issue. The only drugs which are great for muscle building are clenbuterol, sympathomimetics (ephedrine, caffeine, aspirin is a synergestic combo... i;d steer clear of strong shit like meth), and anabolic/androgenic steroids and growth factors such as IGF1 and somstatin (GH).

Larry David said:
be careful working out on any type of pills though, they all can be harmful to your lungs and heart beside other important body parts

How is taking 1mg of Xanax going to harm his lungs, heart or other body parts when he works out? Maybe if he was taking a large dose or mixing with other CNS depressants or injecting, otherwise it's safe just not a good idea as he will be too relaxed.

working out on valium is amazing

I can actually concentrate on working out instead of thinking about negative/paranoid things.

AMAZING stuff

^ Yes, working out on uppers can definitely cause cardiovascular issues. This is not the case with depressants, however they don't exactly work as performance enhancing drugs. The main safety issue is the fact that benzos can be impairing and you might fall or something like that.
The only benefits I can think of is that you might not care as much about the pain and your muscles will be more relaxed. I'm going to move this over to healthy living because I think it fits best there.

-> Healthy Living

I've worked out on a load of xanax and vicodin and what I have found is that you go a lot slower than you think you are and everyone around you can tell you are fucked up.

Well, that was on a lot of it, like I said. If you are just taking a normal dose I'm sure it's be fine, but still not the best idea. Kinda counter-productive.

I am actually working out on xanax as we speak. It doesn't really make you weaker, and i don't really have a tolerance either. I just feel more relaxed, just push your self and don't fall into the relaxing feelings. You can do it if you want to, i took 1mg btw and worked out 2 hours later and it was fine. I just don't want it to be counterproductive some how on my muscles, like will my muscle mass be effected by benzos and not able to grow as well? Occasional use of course

in the long run, benzos take away muscle.

codeine is popular among bodybuilders

depends why you're taking the xanax. for fun or for anxiety? can you just take it after you work out? I don't think it will hurt you, it might just be harder to stay motivated to do the workout.

depends why you're taking the xanax. for fun or for anxiety? can you just take it after you work out? I don't think it will hurt you, it might just be harder to stay motivated to do the workout.

It's not just motivation, which would account for the psychological effects of the drug. Xanax is a muscle relaxant and it will affect exercise physically. Don't know how, but it will.

Right, but he isn't taking a very large dose. He said his dose is 1mg and it's assumed he has built a tolerance to it since it doesn't sedate him.

OP, if you are taking xanax to the point of sedation, it's probably not a great idea to be exercising because of being dizzy/lightheaded and muscle relaxation. It would be counter-productive to work out while high on xanax. I personally use benzos intermittently for anxiety and I can work out while on them, but only if I took a pretty low dose.

If you *need* it to get yourself composed enough to go to the gym, then by all means take it. It will help you improve your physique.

If you're already training hard and are just now thinking about incorporating it into your pre-workout plan, I'd think twice. On a small dose, it's not going to really set you back much, but it also won't allow you to reach your potential. I'd only really say that you shouldn't do it if you're training really hard for something (bodybuilding, powerlifting, marathon, etc.)

For the average person just trying to stay in shape and be healthy, if Xanax helps you stay sane in your routine, I don't see it being a problem.