• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Extreme intense knee pain, frozen joints, Any ideas to help plz??

Sounds like you are not getting enough fats in your diet and are also dehydrated.

Help

I can't diagnose you from afar but I can tell you that this is certainly related to blood circulation. When you go to sleep blood circulation drops, so that when you awaken if there are any injured or debilitated parts of the body they will hurt a lot then.

You can make a simple linniment out of 1 cup vinnegar and 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper. Boil it for about 10 minutes, then remove from heat and let cool. Before you go to sleep you can rub some of the linniment onto your sore joints, wrap it with a non-breathable/non-absorbent bandage, and then apply heat so it absorbs. Cayenne increases circulation so it might keep the blood flow moving while you sleep, so that when you awaken there is less excruciating pain.

You should get to a medical professional who can do simple manual tests like the chondromalacia test, drawer test, etc. on your knees to make sure there is not anything out of alignment or structural damage. Pains like yours are often linked to degeneration of the cartilage under the patella, swelling of the bursae in the knee, or generalized arthritis. If those things can be ruled out, then you should look at your diet and exercise levels and over all body circulation.

Do you have cold hands and feet easily? Does your skin turn a shade darker in only the slightest bit of cool weather? Do you get numb legs from sitting too long? Do you have a very sedentary job? Any cardiovascular problems that you know of? Does anyone in your family have a history of venous thrombosis or other clotting disorders?

If structural problems can be ruled out then I would look at disorders of the blood and cardiovascular system, especially as it pertains to blood circulation. One simple thing you can do is look under your tongue in the mirror. If there are big purple veins going all the way to the tip of the tongue, then your blood circulation is poor. In people who do regular cardio, those veins are usually absent or very minimal.

I have everything that you asked, when it gets slightly cold out my feet and hands are freezing! My knees, elbows will lock up at night. My skin turns a different color when it's cold. I sit for work, and my legs will fall asleep sitting for long periods of time. Why is this? I cannot find an answer to my joint pain. You seem to know of something. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

I have everything that you asked, when it gets slightly cold out my feet and hands are freezing! My knees, elbows will lock up at night. My skin turns a different color when it's cold. I sit for work, and my legs will fall asleep sitting for long periods of time. Why is this? I cannot find an answer to my joint pain. You seem to know of something. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

1) More veggies in your diet, of all colours. If you aren't into salads then try juicing. Get at least 2-3 servings of diverse veggies a day. Make sure some of these veggies are bitter, like dandelion greens, arugula, and chard. (Bitter gets the digestion moving, and increases bile production.)
2) More exercise, especially cardio. Get your heart rate up and break a sweat every day for 20 minutes. Aerobics classes are good too.
3) Stretch every day, especially if you're sitting a lot. Lookup stretches on Google for legs, lower back, and hips. If you sit all day at work, get up once per hour and move around. If you aren't good at self-study then go take a yoga class. Stretching on its own may fix your numbness issues.
- if your legs get numb, tingly, or have shooting pains, this means you have lower back compression of the SI nerves, and you need to focus your attention on stretching your lower back the most. Over the years it could get worse and be difficult to walk if you don't start loosening up that area

Circulation issues boil down to lack of movement. In the organ system, it boils down to heart and liver. Lymph empties into the liver. Blood empties into the heart. If there's congestion in either then everything gets sluggish. The foods I mentioned get the liver flowing. Exercise gets the heart moving.

Those are the basics. No point in looking for a magic instant cure if you're not doing those things.

Hope that helps!

I see this thread is from 8 years ago.... So while it might not help me.. I think this post should be kept alive by ppl with the same pain. (It's pretty prominent when you Google "Pain in unbending joints"), so people are still seeing this readily enough.
My pain comes in these areas: neck, shoulders, elbows, hips, knees and sometimes ankles. It happens mostly waking....but can occur when, say a knee is bent and isn't moved for some time. (Around 15 mins minimum). Then it's "locked". Trying to bend it (them, in my case-- usually all the ones mentioned) is extremely painful. Look at it this way: i often avoid sleep, because i know how bad waking will be. By the time movement is restored (anywhere from 5-10 seconds To upwards of 5 (+)minutes. Then the residual pain lasts a few hours, sometimes a few days when it gets going.
Those of you who posit diet questions.... My diet is very repetitive. (I'd have noticed)! Those who suggest RA, no again. (My Dr was closer, saying ligament pain, though he hasn't yet figured out what's going on... An honest Dr?! Absolutely Rare!). And those who suggested blood circulation? Again, nope! I had tests run in that idea. My circulation is actually extremely healthy.
I'll continue my search for (1) What it is and (2) What needs to be done for it.

I wish one of the previous posters would come back to say how their pain is now, etc. I'll try to do that very thing.

Thanks Y'all!!
Z Z

I know the original post is old, but just in case it might help anybody: I had a similar type of pain in my knee when I was 16; it hurt so bad and got so stiff I couldn't even move it. It turned out to be an "osteochondral defect" and it required surgery and then physical therapy to be repaired.

Everyone I told about my knee pain doubted that it was anything serious, but it ended up requiring serious treatment, so if anyone is experiencing similar pain, please go see a doctor!!

So I just was checking out my old subscribed threads and this one popped up. I still get this pain but less often than I used to . these days thi my knees pop n lock like its 1982 and we breakin on the cardboard with the boombox smh lol. I know my knees are fucked , I got some cartilage damage in there but sadly 8 years later and I never really addressed it much other than a casual mention at my orthopedist (back pain mgmt Dr for disc problems n such) tha never really followed thru on.

This thread seeing my near decade of inaction and neglect of care RL my body has depressed me greatly lulz8)

I got a question that maybe some of the medical knowledgable ppl here can help me with. Lately sometimes when i go to sleep, but it happens more often when i pass out , i wake up and there is a extreme intense pain in my knee joints and it hurts so bad that I cant move. Literally I am frozen, the pain is so intense and extreme, that i am frozen to the spot, it is like someone put super glue in my joints and i cant move my legs at all. i end up staying in the position that i am in for a long time tryin to be able to move a little bit at a time. the pain, there aint no words for it, its excruciating. it feels like there is tendons in my knee that are just about to snap completely. Its hard to put into words, but just imagine a definite 10 on a 1-10 pain scale. Like i said, it makes me not be able to move.

The only ways i have got out of these positions so far, is to stay very very still for a half hour or so, and then slowly little by little , im talking like a half inch at a time, start slightly moving my lower leg with my hands, unbending it little by little, this takes a long time and hurts a lot but its the only way i can get out of bed or the pain is too intense. sometimes i got to stop doing this becz it hurts too much, and i just lay in bed for mad long. If i had someone else there maybe they could stretch it out for me or help me get outa bed. Its mad weird. I never had anything like that before. and this is from sleepin in a totaly normal position, laying on my side with my knees half way bent nothin crazy that would hurt me. It is only in my knees not hip or ankle joints.

does anybody know wat this might be? Like i said, imagine how it would feel, if someone took a needle and injected super glue into your knee joints and you were tryin to break the bond and its tearing the muscle and tendons apart and you want to scream from the pain cuz it feels like i dont even know wat. Agony. that is how it feels tryin to bend or unbend my knees when i wake up with this frozen pain. So If anyone got any ideas on wat this might be a sign of or anything i could do to make it better i would be mad grateful.
I have this problem I wake up in agony every morning and it feels as though my legs are set in concrete the pain to try and move is crippling it hurts so much I feel sick and it takes a good two hours for me to be able to free my legs enough to move I feel as though I'm going mad I can't discribe the pain it's so bad