Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Is Now The Time To Legalize Drugs?

ambient rhapsody

Bluelighter
Is Now The Time To Legalize Drugs?
Posted By: Cliff Mason
http://www.cnbc.com/id/28672671

This may be apocryphal, but when FDR was running for President for the first time in 1932, he said something along the lines of "What America needs now is a good, stiff drink."

Then he won and went on to help end prohibition.

Well, now we've got a new Democratic President coming into office, we're in similarly dire economic straits, and maybe what America needs is a nice toke?

It's time to legalize, or at least decriminalize, drugs. Admittedly this would be a blow to the flourishing prison industry at a time when we don't want to cause additional job losses.

But perhaps we could make up some of those lost prison-guard jobs by opening up new rehab clinics and filling them up with addicts who need treatment.

The voters are miles ahead of the politicians on this issue. Most national politicians would rather admit to using drugs than come out in favor of decriminalizing them. But in Massachusetts, a resolution decriminalizing the possession of small amounts of marijuana passed with the support of 65% of voters, despite opposition from the governor on down. The politicians seem to believe it's political suicide to favor a more rational drug policy, and even the massive popularity of measures like Question 2 in Massachusetts can't convince them otherwise.

Barack Obama won't admit that the war on drugs is a failure, but in his autobiography he admitted to doing cocaine in his youth. During the primaries the Clinton campaign tried to gin-up a scandal out of this fact. I think the real scandal is that the President Elect believes that other people should go to prison for something that he, and many others, get away with Scott free. The same goes for Bill Clinton, who smoked marijuana but "never inhaled."

The war on drugs does two things: it makes the business of drugs more profitable and more violent, and it sends lots and lots of people to prison.

Wouldn't it be better if we could bring this business out into the open, slap some taxes on it, and keep people from shooting each other? Of the 2.3 million people incarcerated in this country, more than half are in prison for drug-related offenses. That's unconscionable, and I believe future generations will see this fact, more than the pseudo-legalization of torture under the Bush Administration, as the great moral failing of our time. As the late, great Milton Friedman, an opponent of the War on Drugs from the very beginning when Nixon initiated hostilities, put it, "there is no light at the end of that tunnel. How many of our citizens do we want to turn into criminals before we yell "enough"?"

No one believes that illegal drugs are anything but harmful, but Americans, or at least our leaders, use that fact to stop any discussion of a rational policy to deal with the problem.

I hope the new guy will be different. For now my generation is much more progressive on this issue than older Americans. But I wonder what will happen to younger proponents of decriminalization as they grow up and have children. It's a fact that we can't prevent people from getting their hands on drugs in this country by locking up dealers and using F-16s to spray herbicides all over Colombia. We've tried for over 30 years, and the only thing the policy succeeds at is ruining lives.

What kills me is that nobody seems to care, not about the human cost, or even about the financial cost.

Caught my fancy because I've never seen anything so critical of the war on drugs in the mainstream media. Also found this on NBC, a gallery of top quality pot complete with prices:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/28561896/

"maybe what America needs is a nice toke?" made me lulz too.

I'm going to be a statistic as one of those incarcerated for drugs. So sad. :(

My condolences. I hope someday society realizes how wrong this all is. Best of luck to you.

Very good for mainstream media. There are a few shortcomings though:

TFA said:
It's time to legalize, or at least decriminalize, drugs. Admittedly this would be a blow to the flourishing prison industry at a time when we don't want to cause additional job losses.

But perhaps we could make up some of those lost prison-guard jobs by opening up new rehab clinics and filling them up with addicts who need treatment.

This fails to mention the incredible financial, ecological, and nutritional opportunity of hemp.

TFA said:
The war on drugs does two things: it makes the business of drugs more profitable and more violent, and it sends lots and lots of people to prison.

Both of these are correct. It does more than that though: it makes consumption of drugs more dangerous because consumers do not know what or how much they really are consuming.

TFA said:
No one believes that illegal drugs are anything but harmful, but Americans, or at least our leaders, use that fact to stop any discussion of a rational policy to deal with the problem.

Plenty of people here believe that many illegal drugs are beneficial.

Quite interesting how nothing has changed yet besides some states legalising pot.

It takes a long long time for things to change. A LOT of people are stubborn and refuse to change their mind. Those people we just gotta wait for them to die and newer, more open minded people take their place.

The war on drugs can only end one way. With drugs being tolerated and prohibition ending. The only question is how long it'll take. And it'll take a while. I'd expect another 30 years at least before it's truly over. But I take comfort that it's inevitable.

It takes a long long time for things to change. A LOT of people are stubborn and refuse to change their mind. Those people we just gotta wait for them to die and newer, more open minded people take their place.

The war on drugs can only end one way. With drugs being tolerated and prohibition ending. The only question is how long it'll take. And it'll take a while. I'd expect another 30 years at least before it's truly over. But I take comfort that it's inevitable.

I second this word-for-word.

Agreed, although I still feel like it’s going to still get worse before it gets better...

Quite interesting how nothing has changed yet besides some states legalising pot.

There have been some other very small local victories in terms of local politics (like prop 47 in LA), but yeah it’s basically the same in terms of prohibition and attitude generally. We have a hard time breaking away from ideologies of the late 19th century and early 20th century when it comes to drug use it seems.

It might. There will likely be many set backs. The world is full of people who exist for no other purpose but to make things difficult for other people.

But we will win, eventually.

I agree with that. Drug use is simply never going to go away. This whole things is just freaking nuts. Have you read Chasing the Scream Jess? You’d really enjoy that book :)

It's absurd how all drugs are illegal and how some people think it's acceptable to imprison the users which is what really ruins their life aside from a small percentage of overdose/addiction.
Are we this dumb as a society that we need authority figures to enforce what we can and can not put in our bodies? Can we not determine for ourselves what is safe to inject,smoke,plug and consume? Lets hurry up and put water and gasoline on schedule list before someone gets hurt;) since both can cause harm to body and death if abused!
The sad fact no-one talks about is: most of the problems associated with drugs are not caused by drugs its self. It's caused by lack of safety information about each substance that would be available if it was not illegal and if they where socially acceptable. Or it is caused by laws that rip family's apart if a human being decides to put what they choose into his/her own body, and somehow it's acceptable to throw them in jail and steal time and experience from them.
Or its caused by Pharmaceutical companies greed, the need for more money and to be the only ones who own said chemical/alkoloid the substance in question, and when we find a cure or solution to addiction/complication from a medicine they add it to a schedule list making it illegal for all citizens to consume, produce, grow, manufacture, synthesize but of course for the right price government, law enforcement, federal agencies and Big Pharma can do all of the above:
And that schedule list i mentioned which is just a glorified carbon copy of illegal drugs list(unauthorized persons go straight to jail) with stamp allowing them to profit off addiction(it's a big club and you are not invited)
Fact: nothing we do can eliminate death and danger/complications from substances. But removing social stigma against drugs and laws against people using them could eliminate upwards of 80% of all the problems associated with them. Rightfully assuming that removing the taboo surrounding them would logically open the door for common knowledge, safety information, and proper use of each substance instead of "JUST SAY NO" which should be the equivalent of " IGNORE problems and they go away" much like we deal with homeless people in America.

Last edited: