EMD Progressive house

Don't hate me... Tech House.

I used to do Tranced's head in with this when I bought his setup and started re-learning what the scene was like now.

He would always be like: Nass, that's tech house! When I swore it was something else.

I later tried defining why the difference was there. All good tunes in my opinion but with techno and tech house I decided that it is trying to imply some kind of musical 'situation' where as progressive house takes you on a musical 'journey'

Tranced was previously describing the difference as 'I dunno... It has... SOMETHING' so the above was the best I could come up with.

My definition would likely improve if I was an actual producer not just an amateur local DJ.

This one is a little before my time, but still proper in my opinion:

I would melt on a dancefloor if someone pumped this through a proper system!

Quoted from the wiki article I linked:

The progressive sound can be distinguished from the later dream trance and vocal trance. It tends to lack anthemic choruses, crescendos and drum rolling. Intensity is added by the regular addition and subtraction of layers of sound. Phrases are typically a power of two number of bars and often begin with a new or different melody or rhythm.

MrSuicideSheep on YouTube has some fantastic Progressive House mix's. His ' Taking You Higher' mix's are my favourite ones. I always have a good time listening to these.

Some of the best IMO.

Here is a link

Last edited by a moderator:
^^
What a great track!
I love the progressive sound of 98 - 00' (I wish i was 10 years older!)

Some other tunes i can't get enough of in the genre

What caused the scene to die? :? Did producers just stop making it altogether?

Beatport failed to create a new category for EDM or whatever cheesy bollocks that was called. As such none of the new generation knew was progressive house was; they just it was what they heard in the clubs.

Fair shout on your tune selection though:

"Underground will live forever, baby. We just like roaches: never dying, always living. And on that note, let's get back to the program."

Pretty much sums up prog. It's out there. It's just not hip. Still does the damange though.

I probably listened to more Progressive House and straight up Trance 15 or so years ago than I would like to admit nowadays.

<3

Why? I had a conversation with a girl the other day. It went like this:

Her: "Why do you still listen to prog and trance?"
Me: "Because the stuff I listen to is fucking lethal. Did you used to listen and like trance and prog?" (I knew the answer, we used to go to Foundation/Promise together back in the day).
Her: "Well yeah, I loved it"
Me: "And so errrr, like, do you still love it"?
Her: "No I wouldn't."
Me: "don't you think that if you formally loved music, then you should still love it now?"
Her: "Don't you think that maybe sometimes you should just get with the times?"
Me: "Do I really appear like that type of person to you? No I don't. Music is timeless. You either get it or you don't"

Fucking coke head hipster.

(Not aimed at you of course Noodle :) ).

looks like I was a hater

I can change my ways

really, I can

<3
=D

Tune.

=D

^(Lexicon Avenue = Scott Bradford, Newcastles long standing Shindig warmup DJ and oldschool prog house producer). Total legend.
^^ I had a hedonistic spiritual experience to that Depeche Mode Lexicon Avenue Remix the other month whilst flipping psychedelics in a pine forest in Scotland. Just went to post a 3 hour Shindig tribute set that I once found (Ironically, a few years ago today according to facebook earlier on; had totally forgot about it), and the first tune was...

https://www.mixcloud.com/dez643/dez-shindig-classics/

... you guessed it. Depeche Mode - Only When - You Lose Yourself (Lexicon Avenue Remix). It saved me from potentially losing it, and showed me how to dance and quite honestly own a dance floor. Trip report to follow. Very Special.

These lyrics saved me from hell. And it was the only point that I realised the music that was playing was progressive (when I got up to dance). Before that it was hell.

Lyrics:

It's only when I lose myself in someone else
That I find myself
I find myself
That I find myself
I find myself
Something beautiful is happening inside for me
Something sensual, it's full of fire and mystery
I feel hypnotized, I feel paralized
I have found heaven
There's a thousand reasons
Why I shouldn't spend my time with you
For every reason not to be here I can think of two
Keep me hanging on
Feeling nothing's wrong
Inside your heaven
That I find myself
I find myself
That I find myself
I find myself
I can feel the emptiness inside me fade and disappear
There's a feeling of contentment now that you are here
I feel satisfied
I belong inside
Your velvet heaven
Did I need to sell my soul
For pleasure like this
Did I have to lose control
To treasure your kiss
Did I need to place my heart
In the palm of your hand
Before I could even start
To understand
That I find myself
I find myself
That I find myself
I find myself

I can't beging to express how much these lyrics/this experience meant to me. But the trip report will.

Last edited:
Don't hate me... Tech House.

I used to do Tranced's head in with this when I bought his setup and started re-learning what the scene was like now.

He would always be like: Nass, that's tech house! When I swore it was something else.

I later tried defining why the difference was there. All good tunes in my opinion but with techno and tech house I decided that it is trying to imply some kind of musical 'situation' where as progressive house takes you on a musical 'journey'

Tranced was previously describing the difference as 'I dunno... It has... SOMETHING' so the above was the best I could come up with.

My definition would likely improve if I was an actual producer not just an amateur local DJ.

Bollocks, I can describe it perfectly and would have had a good go. =D The easiest way is to take some 2c-b/MDMA etc and see how it makes me feel/want to dance. Very distinctive effect on the mind, body & soul. =D

Hello btw. x

Moody & tribal as fuck:

(which pretty much sums up a lot of prog, incidently)

Röyksopp ‎– Poor Leno (Silicone Soul Hypno House Dub) Also <3