EMD Progressive house

I'm going to close this one as it's really not going anywhere.

Noodle is right, progressive house is dead. You really aren't going to find any fresh stuff in that genre

Whilst it certainly went stale for a long time and isn't anywhere near as well known anymore, I'd say it's a bit of a statement to claim that it's dead and you won't find any fresh stuff. There's certainly been a resurgence in the past few years.

Progressive house was never popular. I picked up a set on BBC Radio 1 with a back to back set of 'so called' Proggie House. It was all ego BS, the awards achieved; ego banter.
People will dance and take photographs after paying 40 quid upward to see a ticket for an idiot.
I can't adhere to the masses.
Progressive house rules, every genre rules. Don't suffer fools gladly, if it sounds lame; it be lame. Never ever force yourself to like a track.
Tranced, you can do much better than this. Please no more bog-stared tracks.
Pick it up a level.

Last edited:
Progressive house was never popular. I picked up a set on BBC Radio 1 with a back to back set of 'so called' Proggie House. It was all ego BS, the awards achieved; ego banter.
People will dance and take photographs after paying 40 quid upward to see a ticket for an idiot.
I can't adhere to the masses.
Progressive house rules, every genre rules. Don't suffer fools gladly, if it sounds lame; it be lame. Never ever force yourself to like a track.
Tranced, you can do much better than this. Please no more bog-stared tracks.
Pick it up a level.

I appreciate your faith, but I don't consider anything I posted bog standard at all.

Maybe you should pick it up a level? :)

Still to this day I cannot fathom why listening to music is a crime...
I can see all these choons getting cut off at the source before people have the option to buy them.
Who would spin a track leeched from y-choob?
Tis per shame.

Still to this day I cannot fathom why listening to music is a crime...
I can see all these choons getting cut off at the source before people have the option to buy them.
Who would spin a track leeched from y-choob?
Tis per shame.

I'll play devil's advocate here..

Perhaps some artists want their music to become a long lost forgotten rarity or perhaps they don't want it to live on at all :)

Either way, happy I snatched up all of the records I could throughout the 80's and 90's. I know I will still be able to enjoy it all in 50 years.

I'll leave you all with this gem. (goosebumps a little bit past 3 mins)

Last edited:
looks like I was a hater

I can change my ways

really, I can

<3
=D

I'm a friend of Tranced's and we both have shared an on-going appreciation of this genre in particular. I find it weird to land back on this forum after best part of a decade off it. The last time I was really into this corner of the internet was after Glade Festival 2007 where I met what felt like "everybody off Bluelight" and had ourselves a straight laced cocktail party.

Tranced and I got our heads together a few months ago and did a mix where we showed each other some cool tracks we had recently been finding. Since around that time my search has revealed there is actually a LOT of quality progressive house being released right now as we speak. I'm 30 years old now and did most of my clubbing age 16 to 22. ( 2002-2008 ) - and even then most of THAT clubbing was done 2003 and 2004 before I calmed it down and went far less frequently.

The reason I'm telling you those dates is that I can remember seeing amazing Prog warm ups being done for the first two or three hours before Trance DJs and occasionally I would go to an event like Shindig which was churning out a full night of Prog (or Lethal Prog as Tranced always calls it)

I'm sure Prog never fully died but when I show young people aged approx 20-24 this music today, people who are running local events or are DJs themselves, they absolutely love it and claim they've literally never heard the style before.

Some of them are calling it 'melodic techno' and think Progressive House is what you and I would likely call generic EDM (thanks to Beatport's terrible Genre Labelling system). The way beatport is labelled up now, you could land on an absolute barnstormer of a track and the next in line in that category is some shit fuckwit who throws cakes in peoples faces whilst DJing. Just a different culture all together.

I'm optimistic that it is making a nice comeback and I've started bedroom DJing and had some local gigs. I was/still am cutting my teeth trying to hone in on exactly what my style is. Inside the Prog genre there's all kinds of sub genres, feelings, moods and tempos. I don't want to be a DJ who just plays anything that sounds good - although theres nothing wrong with that if done properly like Tom Middleton might do. I want people to know that if I play, they know what my sound and my mood is. For example, you know roughly what a Sasha set would sound like these days, and always.

I'm glad you kept this thread open as I've been looking for corners of the internet to discuss this in - many of the clubbing forums of the past are dead or dying because of Facebook. Our generation generally isn't clubbing anymore as they marry, have kids and responsibilities. I'm finding it weird putting together music which is generally for a crowd which is younger than me.

I'm really grateful for all of your wicked contributions in this thread and I'm loving that much of it is current and not old (we could be here for a very long time if posting old stuff, and there are Facebook groups for that!)

This is the kind of music I'm personally loving playing:

More to follow... keep sending yours :)

PLUR x

Last edited: