Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

SSRI's and LSD

Toefur

Bluelighter
Ok... so I already asked this in PD but didn't get an answer so I thought I'd ask here.

I've just been prescribed SSRI's (Lexapro) but still want to continue LSD use. I've only been using the anti-depresants for about 4 days now. I've read the big thread on what anti-depressants can be mixed with Halucinagens and was wondering exactly how much SSRI's affect a trip?

If I'm after a 3 tab trip while on them should I double my dose?

Or because I've not been taking them for long can I stop taking them about a week before my trip and have it out of my system?

Thanks

I have a few mates on lexapro that dose LSD quite frequently and they say it has no effect on their trip and because it's an anti anxiety/anti depressant they're more fun to be around/dance alot more then they used to before taking the medication.

Back when i was in my teens i lost alot of friends to suicide within weeks of them having high dose LSD trips. It wasn't untill years later i learnt that they were all on Zoloft at the time...

I've never looked into it, maybe someone has info to share about zoloft?

I've seen anti depressants help alot of people but i have also seen them send mates into a wierd head space on many occasions.

So you think I should stay on my meds and still trip?

I was worried that it'd nullify the effects or send me into a fucked up trip.

I am not a doctor and can't/wont say what you should or shouldn't do to yourself

I have just seen many friends now on lexapro that dose weekly

It's been within months so i can't confirm any long term effects which may arrise from such behaviour

Ask your GP

From personal experience only I have found anti depressants to have very little effect on LSD strength. Completely ruins MDMA though.

HOWEVER if you're on anti depressants it's for a reason. You might not be in the right place mentally to be subjecting yourself to a trip. Yes there is potential for a bad trip that could worsen your depression, even lead to suicide as Psilo mentioned. It could also help? It's a huge gamble and you should not take it lightly. Give me a PM if you'd like?

Please take care. Do NOT double your dose.

Also remember that when starting on most anti-depressants you will feel like hell for the first week, then typically won't notice many benefits until a few weeks after that. Four days in is probably a dangerous time to be toying with the idea of LSD.

I'd say anti-depressants essentially potentiate MDMA, HOWEVER, it is extremely foolish to do so.

Serotonin Syndrome would be a terrible way to go.

I'd say anti-depressants essentially potentiate MDMA, HOWEVER, it is extremely foolish to do so.

Serotonin Syndrome would be a terrible way to go.

It depends on the anti depressant. We're talking about an SSRI here which would not potentiate it. Lexapro would kill most euphoria, probably cause anxiety, and leave physical symptoms akin to a huge amount of caffeine. After four days it wouldn't have much effect though. A MAOI would potentiate it maybe but then serotonin syndrome would be a real concern.

Edit: I've taken varying amounts of MDMA on varying amounts of lexapro, effexor & remeron over the last four years so can offer anecdotal accounts anyway.

Last edited:
Yeah, im not well studied on anti-depressants, i was referring to MAOI's.

p_d, you seem to know your stuff, can you shed any light on why SSRI's don't cause serotonin syndrome? I was of the understanding they both inhibited the uptake of serotonin, hence why they are an effective treatment for depression etc.

I've read around but i either get insufficient info or information i can't decipher.

p_d could give a better explanation than me, but I'll give it a crack. Essentially SSRIs will artificially increase the amount of serotonin floating around by inhibiting their re-uptake (over time of course). Thus when you take MDMA while on SSRIs the effect on serotonin is minimal, your system is already flooded with it. It's the change or sharp rise in serotonin that normally causes the euphoria. When on SSRIs this simply isn't there so you're left with the side effects and amphetamine-like effects.

Yeah, thats what i thought.

Essentially i think MAOI's, as their name states (Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors) inhibit the chemical that breaks down serotonin within the synapses themselves. I think this is what i heard somewhere.

Massive_ said:
p_d, you seem to know your stuff, can you shed any light on why SSRI's don't cause serotonin syndrome? I was of the understanding they both inhibited the uptake of serotonin, hence why they are an effective treatment for depression etc.

An SSRI binds to the transporters that remove serotonin from the synapse, and block them; serotonin builds up in the synapse and continues to bind to the receptors over and over again. This serotonin does eventually leave the synapse to be broken down, it just takes a lot longer. Serotonin levels rise, but slowly, and eventually your serotonin receptors down-regulate in response (i.e. tolerance), which is why discontinuing SSRIs can be nasty. Taking MDMA with an SSRI would be pointless, as MDMA cannot bind to the transporters and reverse them due to the SSRI blocking them.

An MAOI prevents monoamine neurotransmitters from being broken down, leading to higher levels in the brain. This is dangerous with MDMA as a lot of serotonin gets released and then is not broken down, leading to serotonin syndrome.

I hope that was easy to understand. :)

Toefur said:
I've read the big thread on what anti-depressants can be mixed with Halucinagens and was wondering exactly how much SSRI's affect a trip?

In my experience, dull it completely. Doubling the dose may work, but those I know who have been on SSRIs have either abstained from substance use completely whilst treating their depression/anxiety (highly recommended) or did not want to waste their money having to double their dose of psychedelics.

Interestingly, tricyclic anti-depressants potentiate many psychedelic drugs; I do not know why this is, as I thought TCAs worked in much the same way as SSRIs, but with a greater effect on the other neurotransmitters?

Well turns out that the SSRI's didn't affect my trip much.. although it did put me in a weird headspace which ended up with me having my first ever bad trip.

Well turns out that the SSRI's didn't affect my trip much.. although it did put me in a weird headspace which ended up with me having my first ever bad trip.

Damn, sorry to hear that buddy :(

Originally Posted by Massive_

Mr Blonde has got it. Most SSRI's preferentially bind to SERT.

I've been on a high dose of SSRI's for about three years now. It never made a difference when I took LSD. Unfortunately I wasted probibly about 10 good pills before I realised that SSRI's ruined the effect of MDMA.

its slightly off topic from your main question

but i've found combining 5htp to boost my serotonin levels the night before i use lsd, it seems to enhance the trip, i feel much more positive and paranoia is very rare while using 5htp

if i dose lsd without the 5htp. it's still enjoyable. i just seem to get tired quicker, and i can get into some strange (not necessarily bad... but sometimes uncomfortable) headspaces.
eg. imagine having a word... a made up word. that shits you to no end. repeating itself over and over while you're trying to close your eyes and enjoy the colourful minimalistic patterns.

but really an ssri is supposed to keep your serotonin levels up. i dont see how the meds could be a problem.
and on another note i've got a couple of mates who've used zoloft and then had cid. and thankfully they're still among the living.
but anti-d's can put you in a weird headspace at the best of times. nothing worse than that numb i dont give a fuck feeling.