• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

College Doctors/Nurse

Mystery Brew

Bluelighter
I had a couple anxiety attacks in the past 2 months, I had a bad one lately that glued me to the bed naked sweating like I was in the desert 8o. I want to go to the doctors/nurse at my school and talk to them about it. If I do go, would the doctor session be on the insurance mail? and would the prescription for whatever be on it to? What would they most likely prescribe me?

If you use insurance, you will be billed for it. As far as what it will say, that depends on your insurance provider.

There are a slew of medications that are used for anxiety, so there's no way to tell you which one in particular.

I have to ask, though, are you trying to keep this from your parents or something?

I would try to keep it from my parents too. They (well, my dad) tend to think depression, anxiety, and most other mental disorders are bullshit.

Depends on the college. Does it have a free clinic? If so, it's free, but prescriptions cost money. Call the information desk (or equivalent) of your school.

I'm assuming you are in the states, in that case, I can't say I have too much input on the matter. But I will say that your College doctors are there to help you, and are pretty good/cool people used to dealing with students. I got in a little shit for smoking weed on the University property, and they forced me to see an addictions counsellor, that was in October. I haven't smoked weed in 11 days with her help, and the help of people on here, and my own need to stop. I also am seeing a psychiatrist there who has been very understanding and NOTHING like this one I saw back in January, 2008, who said, you don't have a problem. Oh ya, thanks buddy, developing HPPD, PTSD, SAD, Depression.

The only gripe is that this one guy is all about the SSRIs, which won't really help my HPPD, which the PTSD stems from, and is now my biggest worry. Stopping weed has helped with SAD and Depression immensely. He's good though, he is waiting until I'm off all drugs for a month until he gives me any medication, and he is very reassuring and kind, and I was able to tell him about a lot of my drug use, and he still is considering benzos if SSRIs/sobriety do nothing for me.

Eh, sorry I'm way off topic and just talking about myself, but my point is the university/college doctors are really good and understanding, haha.

Thats why I like to read threads.

I think I might have SAD too. I am not sure if my campus have a psychiatrist but they have a psychologist. Im guess its gonna be a thearpy with medication. Would they prescribe SSRI and benzo?

That depends on your situation. Honestly, you're better off making an appointment with psychological services and letting them make the decisions as to whether or not to put you on medication.

Thats why I like to read threads.

I think I might have SAD too. I am not sure if my campus have a psychiatrist but they have a psychologist. Im guess its gonna be a thearpy with medication. Would they prescribe SSRI and benzo?

Psychologists can't prescribe medication, psychiatrists can. You have to decide whether you want an expensive quick-fix or a cheap/free non-chemical solution.

If I were you I'd go with the psychologist first. Cognitive therapy (talk therapy) has been shown to be just as effective as drug therapy alone. Cognitive therapy gets at the root of the emotional problem or issue. If you're finding cognitive therapy isn't working for you (try a few different therapists until you find one that works for you) then give the meds a shot.

When I was doing my undergrad we had to have insurance. If your parents had insurance you had the choice of opting out of the school's insurance. If not you paid a certain amount per semester for the school's insurance which covered anything any other insurance would have.

If u go to the doctor and use the insurance you have then of course they will cover the session and the meds. If u use your parent's insurance and they get bills for services then of course the visit will be shown on the bill. If u use school's insurance then the bills should come to your address and only u will see the service bill.

But very likely the bill will not specify the meds covered so if go to a general practitioner you can just tell yor parents u had a cold and got some antibiotics. The can't look into your medical records w/o or permission. If doc insists that you see a psychiatrist tell him/her you don't want your parents to know and that it will state psychiatrist service on the bill and they will have a problem with it. I know general practitioners can prescribe anxiety med, my mom gets them for me from her doc, cuz she has much better insurance w/ her federal job.

U can also cover it out of pocket and not have to worry about anyone knowing. But that will be expensive especially for a college student.

Some schools have a list of services that every student can get, regardless of insurance. Maybe psychologist services like therapy are covered in that service. I would try CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) before trying meds. OR get meds for anxiety attacks and then do therapy regularly so you won't need meds long term. CBT helped me immensely with my depression/anxiety, pretty much cured them completely. Just didn't help much w/ PTSD.

Hope this helped a little.

Last edited:
question related to this subject---
i have no medical insurance right now (my parents were paying for it previously but just stopped) but i think i need to go see a doctor (it's not an emergency, i don't think anyway so i don't really want to go to the ER and have to charge $1,000 to my credit card that i don't have) like in the next few days.
i went to the health center at my university today and found out that my parents made a payment when i first enrolled for me to be able to go see the doctors there, and as long as they don't give me a prescription for something there's not a charge. it's a bit underhanded but, i know as soon as i get in there they're going to take one look at me and listen to my heart and know i'm on drugs.
so, my question is-
if they test me and i'm postive, will i get kicked out of university?
i know i should just not use and go in (wouldn't that be the smart thing to do) but i want to go in the next day and take at least three days for these drugs to get out of me, and if i'm totally honest with myself, i just really can't go that long without them it's not going to happen. fuck. pathetic.

you would have to find out what your school's drug policies are, honestly. different schools have different ways of dealing with stuff like that.