• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Sublingual Klonopin

To the extent of my knowledge - being a clonazepam anxiety patient - clonazepam will not dissolve sub-lingually. This is a great property which a more water soluble molecule like lorazepam holds. However, since clonazepam requires and alcohol to form solution and cross a mucus membrane, the SL route is not of choice, since the drug has to reach the gastroentero system before producing active effects. The pH in the small intestine is very alkaline therefore it is able to transport the drug across the membrane into the circulatory system.

^ That said, clonazepam still works sublingually. High bioavailability and rather quick onset too.

dissolves quick as hell-minute or slightly more, ya sublingual is how i usually take it especially when its the first dose of the day it def works well

and remember, .25 to .5 mg of clonazepam will usually provide a greater anxiolytic effect than higher doses. try it, you'll see.

I have a hard time accepting this as true when one has a decent tolerance. You seem to have more knowledge on the subject than myself, so if you wouldn't mind.... why does it work that way?

Mmmmhhh yummy minty k-pin goodness...

Maybe tolerence is setting in? I don't know what else to add, but god damn minty k-pins are the most delicious drug evarrr.

yea why else would they make them minty
if they weren't made to be sucked on:)

Sublingual K pins would be okay because its the only benzo pill that Iv had that taste good, especialy the yellow .5s', putting xany bars or the like under your tounge is gross tasting ya know, holla....... 8).

A fellow BL user asked about environmental tolerance, so I'll post my reply here in hope it helps inform you all about this unique phenomenon:

Captain.Heroin said:
hey i saw one of your posts about k-pins
where you mentioned "environmental tolerance"
did you just make that up or is that a real thing?
does this mean like youll be better at handling
something, say in the comfort of your own home?
No, I didn't make that up.

I have studied pharmacology, and environmental tolerance is a phenomenon that has been correlated to many drugs (including but not limited to benzos such as clonazepam) within humans and animals.

This means when people typically take drugs, they build a ritual to the process of using. This pattern is associated within the environment in which the ritual takes place (whether it is smoking a joint, popping a pill, shooting dope, it all is effected by environmental tolerance over time), so that the things about you signal to your brain you're about to use. So, your brain sends signals to your body to counteract the drug it is about to receive, anticipating the tolerance you've already built to the drug.

It means you can handle something in the comfort of your own home better IF that's where you use the said drug. If you typically take drugs at a friend's place, or outside in the woods, or wherever you do - that is where you can handle the drug the best.

There was a study with heroin dependent rats which proved this - they got a whole bunch of rats, and administered heroin regularly to them. Then, they moved half to a new location, and gave both groups an intentional overdose. Most (if not all) of the rats in the "new location" group died, whereas about only half of the rats in the "same location" died (meaning, half lived). The control group (non-heroin dependent rats) died off entirely (due to the lack of actual drug tolerance).

This study showed that environmental tolerance is real, and it effects individuals differently as people associate a drug and its effects with the environment they are surrounded in differently from those around them.

Does this make sense to everyone? Any questions?

How long do you guys keep your kpin under your tongue for? Im thinking at least 30mins - 45mins..

not that long at all. i'd 5 minutes is plenty time

and also they make klonopin instant dissolve wafers for sublingual use....

sublingual is the only way i take any benzo. i've read that sublingual B/A is higher because the drug is not immediately introduced to the harsh environment of our digestive system. plus as stated above bypassing the first round of metabolism causes quicker on set.

if your pills are hard then just chew and hold under tongue. it still works.

Can you cite that study please, I can't seem to find it. Thanks

It was in a psych text book or within a lecture. I'm going to look around in my text books real quick.

I believe most of what I was referring to above was within a lecture that I will probably have notes on somewhere, but in my Abnormal Psychology book, it brings up the idea of the "expectancy effect":

What people expect to experience when they use drugs influences how they react to them (Goldman, Del Boca & Darkes, 1999). A person who expects to be less inhibited when she drinks alcohol will act less inhibited whether she drinks alcohol or a placebo she thinks is alcohol (Cooper, Russell, Skinner, Frone & Mudar, 1992; Wilson, 1987). This observation about the influence of how we think about drug use has been labeled an expectancy effect and has received considerable research attention.

I found some outline notes from a lecture for my pharmacology/toxicology class:

VII. TOLERANCE -- reduced effect of drug with repeated administration
A. Cellular ("direct" or "pharmacodynamic") -- cellular adaptation to presence of drug
B. Dispositional ("metabolic") -- altered handling of drug (e.g. enzyme induction)
C. Behavioral -- adapt behavior to appear unaffected
D. Tachyphylaxis (rapid tolerance) -- often related to fatigue of system or depletion of essential substance (transmitter, messenger)

I believe the study concerning the heroin dependent rats was within a lecture slide, and I believe I cannot find this information. I can keep trying to search for it and if I find more information I will post. In the outline notes of the lecture which held this information, I have a slide picture on my notes here that shows the effects of cellular tolerance of chronic heroin use on rats - chronic heroin use makes mu opioid receptors less sensitive to activation by heroin, the photos show diminished cyclic GMP activity in heroin dependent rat brains essentially. The next slide also shows the control group, which has normal functioning brains, and the notes say "chronic heroin use increases the number of mu opioid receptors available. Brain is trying to compensate for desensitization."

I also found more notes in another lecture for the overview of substance abuse.

Types of tolerance
Metabolic Tolerance - enzymes are induced which results in faster drug clearance
Functional tolerance - brain systems become adapted to the presence of high drug concentrations
Acute tolerance - tolerance to drug effects which occurs within a single "session" of use
Environmental-dependent (behavioral) tolerance - Acceleration of tolerance if drug is used repeatedly in the same behavioral setting
Learned tolerance (state dependent learning) - Acceleration of tolerance to the impairing effects of a drug if a task is practiced while under the effects of the drug

So, in essence, sorry, I do not have the specific study I was referring to cited in my notes. But I can assure you that it most certainly happened, because it was incorporated into one of my favorite college lectures of all time.

If I can manage to find information on the specific study concerning the heroin-dependent rats I was talking about, I will post it.

Last edited:
How long do you guys keep your kpin under your tongue for? Im thinking at least 30mins - 45mins..

I am about to sublingual a klonopin (2mg) pill, but im gonna crush it into a powder 1st then slide the powder under my tongue. That way it may absorb a little bit better/faster!

But Do you guys really think or know if klonopin pills (the minty ones) that are not made to be taken sublingually actually still work when taken sublingual?

Yeah bro they all can be dissolved under the tongue and they are ALL minty tasting, its klonopin itself thats minty and sweet not the binders or anything. There called Sweet Tarts round here. If it aint sweet it aint clonezepam Know your source if it aint a script. And they dissolved in like 1 min 2 min MAX.
It 45 minutes I could disolve a 5/500 apap Viccodin Lol 8)

Only to contridict myself, I have had crappy 2mg klonipins from hondurus that were equal to like 1mg of TEVA, SANDOZ or actual brand Klonopin and they were barely minty, they were dissolved way easier under the tongue tho I noticed and the pills seamed to absorb the saliva in my mouth and sorta "cloud"/ baloon up.

yea why else would they make them minty
if they weren't made to be sucked on:)

In case you have a panic attack and don't have any water, you can just suck on them or chew them up. I enjoy chewing them up with my front teeth and swallowing the powder.

I also have a hard time believing "less is more" is now the belief for benzos, too. LOL.

I also have a hard time believing "less is more" is now the belief for benzos, too. LOL.
IME...

I've been taking benzos for years, and for most of the time I was taking about 1.5 - 2mg alprazolam or clonazepam to get good effects. Eventually, I wasn't getting the same effects and decided to taper my dose down, and I couldn't believe how little of a dose I could actually take and get quite calm from. I currently take 0.5mg clonazepam and it knocks out anxiety very well.

I believe the problem with the larger doses is you have hit a point where you get aggravated because you aren't getting the desired effects, and even though you're sedated, you're enraged at the same time.

A fellow BL user asked about..... so I'll post my reply here in hope it helps inform you all about this unique phenomenon:
Does this make sense to everyone? Any questions?

I don't mean to derail the thread but what is it you study? I have always followed your posts and found them informative and seem to be factual. And if it happens to be at a college level where do you plan to go with this education? It is topics like this that interest me more than many other things in life and I would love to make it into a career of some sort.

If you don't feel like answering to the the public in this thread shoot me a pm, I'm very interested.