• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis Makes Me Freak Out

SpunkySkunk347

Bluelighter
Whenever I smoke weed, I usually end up getting incapacitated and start to trip out.
I start hearing voices and shit, sometimes cartoony noises, or music. I also get a TON of "looping thoughts" (when a thought/mental image reoccurs multiple times in a row).
My brain functions MUCH faster than normal (but then I can't hold a thought for more than 4 seconds, and I'm not exaggerating), I can process things I normally wouldn't be able to, and I figure out the weirdest shit like the meaning of life and stuff like that, only to realize when I'm sober that I can't remember what the hell I was thinking about. I start freaking out and get a panic attack (I have panic disorder), and also everything seems dreamlike and surreal.

Almost EVERY time this happens the fear pops in my mind "What if my weed was laced with something else and I'm overdosing right now?". Then I spend the next 4 hours laying down and trying to use music to distract myself, but that doesn't really work. Because my mind can't concentrate on the music and just goes off on a tangent of death and the meaning of life and God and shit.

Then, sometimes when I smoke weed I hardly get any mental effects at all, and just get a nice body high. I think this is because of two different strains of cannabis effecting me differently, although I'm not sure.

I DO have a family history of schizophrenia, and I have a lot of mental disorders. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Insomnia, General Anxiety, Panic Disorder, Clinical Depression, Trichotillomania, Depersonalization Disorder, and I sometimes get hypomanias/manias. All have been diagnosed by a psychiatrist. I actually just got out of a mental hospital in Wisconsin, where test results showed I had multiple signs of psychosis. The test results were difficult to determine, from what they told me. They said it could have been something schizo-related that I have, or just states of intense anxiety.

I really do enjoy the "nice body high" that I got from weed 1 out of 3 times, but 2 out of 3 times I just end up freaking out. But the feeling from that 1 out of 3 times is enough to make me try it again.
Some people tell me that I just smoke too much, and then smoke more before I wait for the effects to fully kick in from the first time. Which could very well be true. Often times when I smoke weed, I am drunk, and really don't control how much I am smoking. I might end up smoking 2-3 joints by myself, or an unknown amount of bowls.

A lot of times I get "shivers" too. I get a really cold feeling, start shaking, and my skin feels like its turning to ice, but also it feels like I'm melting/freezing over and over again.

I am inspired by cannabis to write. Writing is really my one true passion in life, and a lot of the times the stuff I write while stoned is simply beautiful. It is a shame that I have to go through a panic attack to write it though.

Its probably worth noting that I tend to freak out more on high quality weed, and I actually prefer shwag because it tends to give me that "body high" I love.

My psychedelic/hallucinogenic experience is not extensive, but certainly I wouldn't consider myself unexperienced with psychedelics. I have been on AMT, plenty of Salvia break-through experiences, LSA, 3rd plateau doses of DXM, and more I can't think of right now. In all honesty, weed has taken my mind to depths that no other drug has taken me. It is the most powerful change in cognition I have ever experienced from a drug.

Last edited:
that happens to me sometimes, rarely though. you just gotta keep this in your head before you take that first hit "weed does not hurt people and it wont hurt me"

weed causes anxiety for lots of people at least some of the time. it seems likely that people already prone to anxiety and panic attacks would experience it even more when smoking..

the one thing i can tell you, though, is you really don't have to stress about people lacing the weed. i don't think any dealer would want to waste their drugs like that.. weed is pretty cheap compared to most of the stuff it could be laced with.. so yea, that seems very unlikely..

With your mental health record you REALLY should not be smoking marijuana, because it has the ability to bring psychological problems to surface.

I already have sought medical help. The general consensus among doctors is that I'm fucked up.

And I don't plan to stop smoking weed. I don't do it often, several times a month at most.
It is just such an intense experience for me, more than what other people experience.

To clear things up a bit, you do not get higher than anyone else with your same tolerance. You may have more of an intense thought process because of your mental conditions, though. Being someone who only smokes occasionally, you should really work your way up starting with low grade weed in small amounts. Trust me, this will not build up your tolerance fast (tolerance is a shitty thing, enjoy having none while you can...responsibly) and will not produce such an intense mindfuck. My boyfriend is bipolar form 2 with psychotic features/ borderline schizophrenia. He has a very high tolerance, almost as high as mine (we've both been heavy smokers for many years) and even still in his case, getting high can completely send him into a fit of paranoia and complete disassociaton sometimes. Be very careful. Weed is proven to intensify mental health problems very very much.

Also, regaurding your paranoia, if is helps at all remember that your weed is NOT laced. Unless it has a chemical smell or feels gritty or sandy to the touch, it is NOT laced. Contrary to popular belief not many people lace their weed with any other drug because that's not worth their money, but sometimes people do spray their bud with chemicals or bug spray etc. To produce a stronger "high" when it in-fact only makes you sick to your stomach with an intense migraine. If your weed was "laced" the worst that would happen to you is you would probably feel slightly sick instantly after smoking it. Set that paranoid thought aside while you smoke, weed is a lot stronger than you estimate sometimes!

The best advice I could offer you is to be on medication for your mental health problems and do not, I repeat, do not take any hard drugs what-so-ever. I'd advise you not to smoke weed, but since you stated that you wouldn't do that, I'd say try to keep the bud to a minimum. It really does fuck your brain up even more, trust me. And take it easy, dude! No use in getting TOO high, it stops feeling calm. Take a puff or two and then wait until you feel the effects and measure it from there. Good luck

I am on Adderall 30mg XR twice daily, which ironically did not worsen my anxiety but actually alleviated it. Doctors guessed this is because anxiety is rooted in my depression which adderall helped with quite a bit. I also have ADD.
I am also on Zoloft 200mg a day.

I have gotten high while not being drunk, and I freak out just as much. Its just usually if I'm drunk with friends, there is going to be weed around as well.

I am on Adderall 30mg XR twice daily, which ironically did not worsen my anxiety but actually alleviated it. Doctors guessed this is because anxiety is rooted in my depression which adderall helped with quite a bit. I also have ADD.

I have gotten high while not being drunk, and I freak out just as much. Its just usually if I'm drunk with friends, there is going to be weed around as well.

Meds+weed=no no, if you want the medicine to actually work. You should honestly be on some sort of anti-psychotic or mood stabilizer because of all of your conditions, and you really should not smoke. SHOULD not, but you can if you absolutely have to. Just be easy please

although 'your' weed use is very much controversial considering your mental conditions and general experience, maybe it can be done..

if you know who you are getting it from and it is high quality shit then you won't have paranoid thoughts, i think..have faith in your connects basically haha

and smoke a lot less too per session..and keep writing too man

it's common for anxiety to be rooted in depression, but not usual for pharmamphetamines to actually be a cure for that. i agree with others that weed is not the right thing for you. i mean, drugs are supposed to elevate mood, not demolish it. there have been lots of drugs i love but don't do because they put me through hell getting to or coming off the high. adding it all together, it doesn't seem worth it.

i'd be even more concerned if there were a history of schizophrenia in the family. thanks to modern medicine, it can be treated to the point where a chronic sufferer can live a pretty normal life. why would you want to sacrifice a potentially bright future by abusing your mind to it's breaking point?

i'm fond of writing too, but it's honestly quite hard to keep track of ideas with a racing mind. yours seems to race even harder than of most pot smokers, so i wouldn't be quick to jump the gun and say you write the most brilliant shit stoned unless/until your critics start saying that about you. i.e. a writer's perspective on their own work is rather limited.

besides, inspiration comes from many sources. true creativity rarely stems from drug abuse; a tough notion for many bluelighters to swallow. i find a lot of drugged writers that i know think they're hot shit for scribbling a bunch of esoteric nonsense. they could have used their literary skills writing a story actually half decent, had they only the sense to go for a walk and take in the world as a whole instead of getting fucked off drugs and gravitating around pretty objects and ugly ideas.

not that i'm trying to generalize you into that category, just something to think about. bottom line is how can you justify abusing your health chasing a high?

I guarantee this has something to do with your amphetamine medication (And your mindset at the moment).

Whenever I used to take speed + smoke, I tripped out really bad/got paranoid/had weird delusions.

I do not agree with people being scripted amphetamines. Daily amphet use and weed smoking will not agree...and will make you anxious.

Stop smoking weed if you are going to continue the meds. Maybe in the future when you have cleared up some of your problems and are not taking Adderall daily, you could try to smoke marijuana again.

Good luck.

on second thought, you probably shouldn't, it's no good with the meds
i didn't notice the adderall bit..

just put it away for a while, straighten yourself out a bit, and then resume as planned

Wow. It makes me feel more 'normal' to know that more than one other person experiences things like this. I started smoking when I was 14, now 20. I never had one problem (cept memory loss, Bad memory loss, goldfish style bro 8)) caused by weed. My parents put me through a whole lot of emotional shit which I dont even think they can believe they put me through but due2 that I'm kinda bipolar few hypos/manias here and there, few skitz at them.. a day. so as the story goes, if anyone is gonna have skitzOFU it'll be me. right now. in this sleep deprived, half high, half bennyed, state of emotional numbness.

something you may be a little more interested in hearing though, is that just recently i decided it was 'the time' the educate myself on dopamine, the last loney brain chemical i had left out of comprehension. i have made some grave discoverys over the past few days:

since stepping up a notch into the field of the hard and powdered i havnt been able to smoke weed. bullshit? if you were here i would have shown you the bullshit my friend. wanna know why? cause no1 shits like papa bull here my friend.. 8o anyway, so you wanna know why? yeah hang on. cause every reason i smoked weed after takin X + ? was the feeling that release of dopamine through my veins. im not even kidding. the satisfaction of ripping a big fat cone BEFORE IT'S EVEN HIT MY LUNGS, dopamine. the sweet smell of the sticky icky, dopamine. chopping, dopamine. the stone, completely undesirable. every time. until now. the last few nights were the first time in more then a year that i have enjoyed nothing but the high. guess what though, was kinda shit! realised my tolerance is through the roof and getting high is as shit as some of the first (or should i say last) times i smoked- ya know when ya tolerance is high as fuck and you couldnt get stoned long enough to crack a fat. yeah, damn ay. self administered cognitive information injections directly into my eyes saved me from the dopamine prison that i have called home sw..sw..tt..nice home, for the last year or so.

haha i was trippin the fuk out last night driving into town, it's like, mannn you know what i could do right now? wind the windows up and CRANK THE AIR CON! wait wait window slowly going up, yes i can feel it up up, air con button CLICK arhhh and fan speed MAX! arrrrrrrrrrrrrgghhhhhhhhh dopamine *fiendish laughter*

tru story happened to me. no shit. but tonight, tonight it was amazing. i walk over to the radio prior to chopping and turn the switch on at the wall. imediatly arrrrrgggggggghhh good song yeeeahAAAA.

kinda scary but so arggh. OPer: get some picracetam + lecathin and tae on alternate days.

peace out

dont forget

get shakey! aftA school

I can almost guarantee that every smoker here has been through similar to what you are experiencing. It usually comes from 2 sources:

1. smoking more than you can handle
2. overthinking the situation

I used to feel this way about weed until I tapered down my use, started using more alone in a controlled setting and happened to go to Amsterdam during a Europe trip =D...

The sooner you realise that the weed is not out to get you and just roll with it, the better..

Good thread. I'm not that experienced with weed smoked probably about 70 times. I mean, I can tell good weed from bad But whenever I smoke I get extremely high and love the feeling. But my friends cousin gave us this deal on weed and it was like a whole sandwich bag full and it was all crushed up, almost like powder but not that fine. It smelled really odd, not like the usual herb smell i like. Kinda like dog shit with a faint hint of weed smell. Anyways I try it anyways and it is soooooooo strong like you wouldn't believe and no matter what I always get fucking baked from it and start hearing things and thinking really weird stuff which usually doesnt happen this bad. And while I'm tripping hella fucking hard all I can think about is if my weed is laced and that it isn't weed, but then I'm good when I think that no one has ever died on weed in the thousands of years of people smoking it and I''m sure people have been waaay higher than this and are still fine. And I trip supppper hard, can anyone explain why?

Wow. It makes me feel more 'normal' to know that more than one other person experiences things like this. I started smoking when I was 14, now 20. I never had one problem (cept memory loss, Bad memory loss, goldfish style bro 8)) caused by weed. My parents put me through a whole lot of emotional shit which I dont even think they can believe they put me through but due2 that I'm kinda bipolar few hypos/manias here and there, few skitz at them.. a day. so as the story goes, if anyone is gonna have skitzOFU it'll be me. right now. in this sleep deprived, half high, half bennyed, state of emotional numbness.

something you may be a little more interested in hearing though, is that just recently i decided it was 'the time' the educate myself on dopamine, the last loney brain chemical i had left out of comprehension. i have made some grave discoverys over the past few days:

since stepping up a notch into the field of the hard and powdered i havnt been able to smoke weed. bullshit? if you were here i would have shown you the bullshit my friend. wanna know why? cause no1 shits like papa bull here my friend.. 8o anyway, so you wanna know why? yeah hang on. cause every reason i smoked weed after takin X + ? was the feeling that release of dopamine through my veins. im not even kidding. the satisfaction of ripping a big fat cone BEFORE IT'S EVEN HIT MY LUNGS, dopamine. the sweet smell of the sticky icky, dopamine. chopping, dopamine. the stone, completely undesirable. every time. until now. the last few nights were the first time in more then a year that i have enjoyed nothing but the high. guess what though, was kinda shit! realised my tolerance is through the roof and getting high is as shit as some of the first (or should i say last) times i smoked- ya know when ya tolerance is high as fuck and you couldnt get stoned long enough to crack a fat. yeah, damn ay. self administered cognitive information injections directly into my eyes saved me from the dopamine prison that i have called home sw..sw..tt..nice home, for the last year or so.

haha i was trippin the fuk out last night driving into town, it's like, mannn you know what i could do right now? wind the windows up and CRANK THE AIR CON! wait wait window slowly going up, yes i can feel it up up, air con button CLICK arhhh and fan speed MAX! arrrrrrrrrrrrrgghhhhhhhhh dopamine *fiendish laughter*

tru story happened to me. no shit. but tonight, tonight it was amazing. i walk over to the radio prior to chopping and turn the switch on at the wall. imediatly arrrrrgggggggghhh good song yeeeahAAAA.

kinda scary but so arggh. OPer: get some picracetam + lecathin and tae on alternate days.

peace out

dont forget

get shakey! aftA school

I have taken classes on neurochemistry and have extensively studied the neurotransmitters dopamine, 5-HT, and norepinephrine, as well as how drugs elevate/lower neurotransmitter function in the synapse of neurons. And there shouldnt be "Dopamine in your veins", and even if it were in your veins, it would not cross the blood brain barrier and would have no effects. Dopamine is found nearly exclusively in nerve tissue.
I find that the more knowledge I have of neuroscience, the more understanding I have of my own cognitive processes. Marijuana magnifies the insight I have into my own cognitive processes, making me feel more in-touch with my cognition. This may sound absurd, but some times it even seems as if I can differentiate aspects of my cognition and attribute them to a certain hemisphere.