• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Courier-Mail - 5/01/09 'Baby in intensive care after suspected Ecstasy dose'

Ecstasy overdose baby parents bailed in Cairns court
Article from: Herald Sun
Damon Guppy, Cairns Post
January 06, 2009 12:08pm

A YOUNG Victorian couple has been bailed after being charged with overdosing their baby with an ecstasy tablet.

The pair appeared in Cairns Magistrates' Court this morning charged with grievous bodily harm after their baby almost died after swallowing a drug, believed to be ecstasy, in Cairns on the weekend.

The pair, from Victoria, declined to speak to waiting media after their brief court appearance and left the court house together in a waiting taxi, the Cairns Post reports.

Their baby was today in a serious but stable condition in Cairns Base Hospital after going into cardiac arrest and being placed in an induced coma on Sunday.

Police allege she ingested half an ecstasy pill, a street drug that can produce serious symptoms.

Her condition has since improved and she has been transferred from the intensive care unit to the pediatrics ward.

Paramedics rushed to a unit at Behan St, Manunda, about 10.30am on Sunday, about 90 minutes after the baby suffered a seizure.

Detectives from the Child Protection and Investigation Unit and Cairns CIB searched the unit and questioned the father, 24, and mother, 22, for several hours on Sunday.

The pair, from Victoria, were yesterday charged with grievous bodily harm and possession of a dangerous drug.

They have been released on watch-house bail and are believed to be keeping a bedside vigil at the hospital as their daughter recovers.

She is expected to make a full recovery.

The couple will appear in court this morning.

The baby remains in their care but the Department of Child Safety is investigating the matter.

Police are not alleging the couple deliberately administered the drug to the toddler.

Police said the couple and their daughter were holidaying in Cairns over the Christmas and New Year period.

But a resident at the unit complex said they had moved to the city and the father had recently taken up a job.

Medical experts say the drug can cause brain damage and organ failure.

The baby, was put into an induced coma after suffered fits and convulsions after swallowing half a tablet.

Ecstasy, which has been linked to deaths in adults, affects breathing, heart rate and blood pressure.

Medical experts said half an ecstasy tablet for a two-month-old baby would be the equivalent of up to 10 tablets for an adult.

Royal Children's Hospital director of pharmacology associate Prof Noel Cranswick said the drug could cause serious effects.

"In young children in large doses it can be quite severe," Prof Cranswick said.

"They certainly can have seizures, become unconscious, and in lower doses become quite confused and act inappropriately.

"It can also affect the muscles and make them very hot, so hot you have to physically cool the person down and it can cause damage to pretty much any organ in the body.

"If a child had a stroke or an organ was damaged then that would cause ongoing damage, but once the drug is out of the system you would not expect ongoing damage from the, drug but whatever damage there is would have long-term consequences, like brain damage from a prolonged seizure."

Medical experts yesterday said most two-month-old babies did not have the co-ordination to pick up small objects such as a tablet, let alone the swallowing mechanism to consume such an item.

Doctors said cases of parents giving their children illegal drugs were rare.

An analysis of 165 NSW child deaths between 1991 and 2005, published in the latest Medical Journal of Australia, found five involved children being given methadone.

Psychiatrist Olav Nielssen said in most cases, parents had given their children methadone intending to sedate them, rather than kill.

"The findings of this study suggest that takeaway methadone should not be given to addicts with children in their care," Dr Nielssen said.

With Janelle Miles and Peter Michael

Herald Sun

Ecstasy baby accused walk free
Staff reporters
January 6, 2009 - 10:23AM

Two Victorians charged after their baby daughter allegedly swallowed ecstasy are free on bail after a court appearance in north Queensland this morning.

The couple, who cannot be identified under Queensland child protection laws, showed no emotion as they appeared in Cairns Magistrates Court charged with grievous bodily harm and possessing a dangerous drug.

The man, 24, had short, brown hair, a tattooed right wrist and wore jeans and a white buttoned shirt. The woman, 22, had dark, bobbed hair and wore three-quarter-length jeans, a loose green top and thongs.

Neither was required to plead and they said nothing as Magistrate Robert Spencer released them on bail and set a committal mention hearing for February 3, excusing them from appearing. They will be represented by a lawyer.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Mark White did not give the court details of the charges, including what drug the child allegedly ingested.

A Queensland Police spokesman said after the hearing police would allege the child had ingested the drug as a result of negligence.

"Police will allege it was a negligent act resulting in the child ingesting the ecstasy, not a deliberate act," he said.

The spokesman said police believed the negligence arose from where the ecstacy was stored.

The couple, from the Gippsland area, emerged from court arm in arm and refused to answer media questions, running to a waiting taxi organised by another couple, who had a child in a stroller.

The accused man was seen through the taxi's tinted windows comforting the accused woman.

Their 10-week-old daughter is now in a stable condition at Cairns Base Hospital after emerging from an induced coma yesterday. She has been moved from the intensive care unit into a pediatric ward.

Detectives from the Cairns child protection and investigation unit have said the couple was holidaying in Cairns over the Christmas and new year period.

This morning, a resident at the units where the couple was staying in Manunda, on the outskirts of Cairns, said the pair arrived about a month ago.

"They just got here, probably a month ago with a newborn baby and another young couple and another child with them," the neighbour, who did not want to be identified, said.

"They've been really friendly every time I've seen them. I used to see them go fishing and go walking in the park. They just seemed like really quiet people."

The Age

Disgusting thing to do.

Honestly, those people don't deserve kids.

I got nothing against people who are older than me. I prefer them over people my age. More life experience and less fucked upness.

Heh, me too actually. I mean, there's a fair share of fucked up people over the age of 30 or whatever, but I just tend to have more in common with people who have been around a bit.

I just cant believe that the Baby is still in 'custody' of the parents? I would have thought they would have gone immidiately into police custody?

Drug related news articles: That pinch of salt is getting bigger every day...

I just cant believe that the Baby is still in 'custody' of the parents? I would have thought they would have gone immidiately into police custody?

Upon reading the above news story, like others, I had some reservations about just how the child actually consumed the 1/2 pill. Sure, no parent should leave drugs lying around near children, I don't think anyone disagrees with that, and rec drugs should never be kept near or around regular pharmaceuticals that might be given to children. However, something about the initial article didn't sit right to me; parents intentionally giving a baby that young MDMA? Or any such drug for that matter.

Still, similar things have happened before so it couldn't be ruled out completely until something more surfaced. Now that the child has been returned to the parents, it would appear their actions weren't considered serious enough to further endanger the wellbeing of the child. If so, then I would suspect an accident, viewed by authorities as being more unfortunate than due to any casual carelessness, and not necessarily reflective of the couple's parenting skills in general.

I could well be wrong here though, so I hope we eventually get to hear what really happened.

I'm still reeling that the child has been released back into the custody of the parents, after they had been charged.

Any trust I had in the Queensland legal system is gone.

Anyone that intentionally gave their child excasty, or any other recreational drug at that age does not deserve to have a child..

This has been the hot topic of conversation at work today, and we're all shocked that the child was in custody of the charged couple..

I find it very hard to sit in judgement here - it's extremely unlikely that anyone would deliberately give their own baby ecstasy; it sounds more like a ghastly 1-in-a-million accident. The couple will no doubt be hating on themselves more than any of us could - punishment enough I feel.

They reported last night that the couple were hiding there biccies in one of the babies medication jars, an e was taken out and given to the baby in error instead of the proper pill.

Big fuck up, but no malice.

Well, I wasn't too far off the mark with the comment about not keeping illicit drugs with baby’s medications.

I'm absolutely amazed how judgmental people have been on this without knowing any of the real facts. It seems some people are ready to condemn the moment something surfaces as a news headline. Sensationalist Suckers; you all disgust me...:p

For those who feel the overwhelming urge to scorn and attack these people, I suggest in future you take a pinch of salt with every such headline, and try checking the news again over the following days before you rush to denounce
13.gif

edit > ^ was unaware of the two posters above me had already beaten me to the punch

I watched this in unbelief on TV this arvo I was so angry at these so called parents if I was their next door neighbour I would of gone to their front door knocked on it and been like, Oh so I see you gave your baby an XTC tablet your the maddest cunts I've ever met in fact your so fucking cool I think I might bash your heads in with this baseball bat * Mushi cracks open their skulls* Ahhh that's better now I think feel you are in the same realm to speak with humans.

Sorry just had to vent that, these people should be locked away for life and their child, if survives, should have the choice in whether to visit them or not.

God people like this make me sick, why can people like this be able to have children when other are not even blessed with being able to conceive...

People like that sicken me.
Lock them up, and throw away the key...

what's with the judgemental bullshit?

When the media talk about drugs one usually reads a rush of posts demonising the very same media that has written this story.

The facts are these. The parents did not give the child MDMA on purpose.

Secondly anyone here who has child can attest about how babies pop anything in their mouths. My little girl has eaten like 100 leaves and god knows how much bark and paper.

Clearly it was an accident and this "oh won't somebody save the children" outcry will do nothing to effective a constructive outcome in this case.

Give everyone a chance and try imagine, especially those who don't have kids, how many drugs and shit you leave around after a night out

Ecstasy parents bailed
Wednesday, January 7, 2009
© The Cairns Post

THE parents of a baby who almost died from ingesting a drug, believed to be ecstasy, walked free from Cairns Magistrates' Court on bail yesterday to be reunited with their child.

The baby girl was released from hospital back into her parents' care early yesterday afternoon, having made a full recovery.

The 24-year-old man and 22-year-old woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, were bailed to appear for a committal mention on February 3 on charges of grievous bodily harm and possession of a dangerous drug.

Police have not said the drug was deliberately given to the tot, but say the baby girl's cardiac arrest on Sunday happened when she ingested half an ecstasy pill.

It is understood the parents may have given the girl the pill believing it was a headache tablet.

The couple, originally from near Melbourne, declined to speak to the media yesterday, leaving in a taxi after facing court.

The charges followed several hours of questioning by police Child Protection and Investigation Unit officers on Sunday.

While the baby has been returned to her parents' care, the Queensland Department of Child Safety has said it is investigating the matter.

Department of Child Safety director-general Norelle Deeth said child protection laws prevented her from discussing specific cases.

"The department will work closely with other relevant agencies to ensure the safety of the child and will provide support to the family," she said.

The couple's lawyer, Phil, said his clients had been through a traumatic experience.

"The parents are distraught," he said.

"This has been a terrible accident. The baby is safe and out of hospital."

Some reports have said the couple was holidaying in the Far North, but The Cairns Post understands they are now living in Cairns.

Neighbours said the couple had been quiet and kept to themselves since arriving.

"They were quiet but friendly and always said hello," one neighbour said.

"They also like going fishing."

Cairns Post

What what the toxicology report? Take care people pure irresponsibility CHILDREN THE MUST COME FIRST SOME EXPLAINS SOME ARE MAKING AND EXPLAIN TO THE CHILD IF IT LIVES WHAT HAPPENED TO IT.

Secondly anyone here who has child can attest about how babies pop anything in their mouths. My little girl has eaten like 100 leaves and god knows how much bark and paper.

Clearly it was an accident and this "oh won't somebody save the children" outcry will do nothing to effective a constructive outcome in this case.

Give everyone a chance and try imagine, especially those who don't have kids, how many drugs and shit you leave around after a night out

The same with people smoking weed in front of their children, ive had to 'educate' a few of my mates over this - come on theres other rooms in the house + outside...

I've seen the most responsible parents slip up from time to time. It happens. At some stage in a kid's first few years it's more than likely he/she will eat some poisonous thing. It can happen at any age. Most parents do their best, but everyone has their own methods. In this case, IMO legality of the drug and fear of being caught meant this couple did something foolish. Without that fear, sensibility would have likely prevailed and the pills stashed somewhere safer.

Of course it should be the norm that no poisons are in reach of kids, but to keep things in perspective, a swallowed mouthful of detergent, perfume or even soap can be nasty. Not to mention some of the other more toxic chemicals found in most homes. It's normally never the intention of parents for a baby to eat such things, but the point here is that many household things, if swallowed, can endanger the life of a baby.

Look, don't get me wrong. I'm not defending bad parenting where children are at risk or suffer in any way. I, like others who have been on the fence with this - until more info was forthcoming - see it as unfortunate incident, with thankfully, a fortunate outcome. The biggest relief for everyone came from doctors reports, which have said baby isn't likely to suffer any lasting damage. So, we should now look at the good that can come from this. In relation to drugs and kids, the parents will have become very aware of what is, and what isn't good childcare. Their experiences will no-doubt also have impact on others, both directly through friends and associates, and indirectly through media coverage on this story.

As chugs indicated; if you don't have kids or haven't looked after babies 24/7, then you really don't know what sort of parent you'll make. (edit) . Maybe, as I've seen many times, it's best for some people to avoid this 20 year learning phase and instead stick with xenophobia, prejudice and cynicism - they might end up arseholes, alone in old age, but for the most of it, it's definitely an easier road than parenting.

edit madmick19)

Last edited by a moderator:
Medical experts yesterday said most two-month-old babies did not have the co-ordination to pick up small objects such as a tablet, let alone the swallowing mechanism to consume such an item.

this is pretty much what a mate and myself were discussing. the baby would be flat out trying to crawl and their eye-sight is very minimal to an adult. but despite that when a baby gets something in its hand it's like an automatic signal to put it in its mouth.

and for the parents to be claiming that it was a headache tablet? something sounds a little fishy about that.

i'm sure the parents wouldn't have given them the ecstasy well knowing what it was. one would hope so anyway:\ it will be interesting to find out what actually happened minus all the allegations.

NEWS : 3.12.09 - Parents of baby given ecstacy sentenced

[EDIT: Threads merged. hoptis]

Parents of baby given ecstacy sentenced

r163734_603804.jpg

By Jessica Mawer

Posted 2 hours 35 minutes ago
Updated 53 minutes ago

A Victorian couple has escaped jail time after accidentally giving their 10-week-old daughter the drug ecstasy.

The Cairns Supreme Court heard the couple stored an ecstasy tablet in their daughter's medication for their own intended use, but accidentally administered it to the child in January.

The baby was hospitalised for two days after suffering seizures but has since made a full recovery.

Justice Stanley Jones sentenced the couple to six months jail but suspended the sentence immediately, taking into account the pain and anguish they have suffered.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/12/03/2760977.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad story, but isn't it weird that the press always seems to be the Mitsubishi Logo in any of these "related story's" that come out..? Coincidence?