• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

New Years Resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha, very good point! touche.

My trouble radar is finely tuned by this point in life. I met two girls through class the other day. One I can see myself getting interested in (she seems like less trouble though I hardly know her, she's pretty, smart, outgoing, well travelled, great style), and then there's the other one (which is her friend) who I fear may be interested in me but who I'm not interested in (she seems more like trouble, not my taste physically).

I have no intention of getting involved with the more troublesome of the two but I fear that she may intercede if I express interest in her friend. It's very much proceed with caution and pull the rip cord at the first sign of danger. But then again given my luck it won't get off the ground anyway.

Subconsciously I attract certain types and repel others I think. Weird, must be something about me.

Revised resolutions:

1. get laid by someone sane
2. put on 30 pounds of muscle, this will take all year
3. DON"T BE A MASOCHIST!!!
4. don't be such a jerk, so far so good

Yeah, I've definitely been doing that. My current philosophy is that no matter how bad something may seem as long as you're able to learn something from it then it's not a waste.

"Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" words to live by

Yeah. I think it is wasted time to repeat negative behaviours or thoughts. This is not directed to you personally. It is what I have learned. Just seems that the themes/vibe of your posts repeat themselves *shrugs*

Yeah. I think it is wasted time to repeat negative behaviours or thoughts. This is not directed to you personally. It is what I have learned. Just seems that the themes/vibe of your posts repeat themselves *shrugs*

Oh, I totally agree on all points. I'm a 'school of hard knocks' kind of person. But I also find that retreading old ground sometimes helps stir up new and insightful dirt. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that alot of my problems that seem to arise (90% of the time I'm fine and A-ok) basically all stem from a handfull of core issues that are often difficult to crack completely. The tone of my posts are pretty distinct if I'm having a bad day/series of days.

But I should stop hogging this thread.

Lets hear some other resolutions people!

I'm just wondering, has anybody in the history of mankind ever kept their New Year's resolution for more than a week after New Year's? The way I see it, if someone is serious about making a change in their life then they don't need to wait until next year to do it.

IME resolutions don't work. They're huge, usually vaguely defined goals with no specific short-term components. For most people successful behaviour changes happen with gradual but steady changes. Setting week-by week, very specific goals, with defined rewards works best for me.

That said, by the end of the year I would like to be at least 80% vegan.

^ i disagree

having a vision for the change you want to create in your life can set the tone for the short term goals ~ though you are spot on that by setting short-term more specific goals with an action based component will yeild better results

its true that if you're goals are loosely defined, there most likely won't be any ACTION on manifesting them

it can be a problem when you set goals and realize your not doing any of them and then just feel depressed because your not actually working towards actualizing them

so far, i've stuck true to my intention to meditate, quit drugs/alochol and writei my diary once a day

it feels like this is a new wave... and if i happen to fall off, i'll just get back on again ~

"great spirit, help me to overcome the greatest of all enemies, myself"

soooo, does anyone have good techniques on goals settings/manifesting your dreams ?

NLP sounds pretty interesting, they say you should set your goals in teh present (coz your unconscious mind isn't aware of time, so when you say "I want to eventually quit pot" your mind thinks "okay, so eventually i want to quit pot" and it never happens, there is NO conscoius shift... 'tomorrow never comes'

where as ... if you set a date "its the 15th of january 2009, i've quit pot and its challenging but i know this is for the good of my clarity" or whatever..

any thoughtso on this ?

The trick to any major life change is to set multiple small achievable goals that build on each other. This way they don't seem so daunting and you can feel good about achieving each milestone (small goal) on the way to a major life change.

kung fu.

i personally love exercise, weightlifting, and nutrition science, so no need for resolutions there.

i guess all i could toss in is drink less alcohol.

Which kind? I've heard good things about Wing Chun, but very little about other styles.

Status
Not open for further replies.