• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

LSAT prep recommendations ?

EnYAY

Bluelighter
Whats up BL

Im currently attending Cal state LA and graduating in june =D

My GPA is descent, but i want to knock the LSAT'S out of the park to get accepted into a proper school.

My sister used Test Masters and did fairly well, I also know about kaplan and some others.

Do any of you have some other recommendations for me?

I have heard good things about private tutoring for the LSAT, can anyone contest to this?

what are your tips? advice?

Well I haven't yet sat the LSAT, but I've read a ton about it over the last three or four weeks (because I'll be applying for law school in 2010) so I think I can help.

* Read, and read widely. The New Yorker, the Times, Scientific American, The Wall Street Journal, stuff like that. Read things that are verbose and technical, with dense sentences that force you to work to understand them. This will help with the reading comprehension parts of the test. If you don't already, get reading - it's obviously not something that can be crammed the night before the test.

* Powerscore is the test that I've heard mentioned most. It uses only real (old) LSAT exams to take its practice questions from. Seems pretty cut and dried to me. Everything I've heard about Kaplan can be lumped into one of two categories: a) I thought it was pretty good, but it was all that I used; and b) It sucked. Use something else.

* So - practice practice practice.

* More specifically, go through the tests religiously. Don't just figure out which sections you're good at or bad it, but WHY. Look for patterns. Are you consistently getting a particular kind of logic game wrong? Keep working at it. Look at the questions you've gotten wrong and try to understand *why* the right answer is in fact the right answer.

* Don't be afraid to utilise the forums on the web created directly for this purpose - Lawschooldiscussion (.org I think) is probably the main one, and there's a heap of very useful information there, but TLS (the top law schools one) is also great. The people are horribly pretentious, but that's not really important - these people are all 170+ LSAT scorers studying at Ivies and T14s. Take advantage of the resource and their knowledge.

* I'm sceptical about private tutoring. It's a huge cost, and personally I tend to believe that if you can't motivate yourself to study for a few months just to pass a fairly straightforward, standardised test, you're probably gonna be screwed once you hit law school anyway. Unless you're completely shitting yourself and just don't think you're going to get a good result any other way, I wouldn't touch a tutor with a ten foot pole. Completely IMNSHO though.

Of course there are a ton of other things, but these are the most important that I can think of off the top of my head. I'll add some more later as I think of them, but honestly, if you read through the advice on those forums and study your arse off, you'll be fine.

Oh and a little bird told me there are some LSAT related torrents floating around. You know, if you're into that sort of thing.

The people are horribly pretentious, but that's not really important - these people are all 170+ LSAT scorers studying at Ivies and T14s. Take advantage of the resource and their knowledge.

Great all-around advice 1234. This bit was hilarious though. =D

WOW man that is some good advice. I appreciate you taking the time to write that out for me.

I would have never thought of reading publications like the ones you mentioned to help me on the LSAT. but now that i think of it, it really can. Specifically because sometimes i have a hard time decoding heavily worded paragraphs that have deep technical meaning.

that was some sound advice. And to be honest, i have no idea how to use ANY torrent. I keep hearing about it but i have yet to try them out.

I think what scares me the most is the hard logic games. Although i have not really put time into understanding how these work, i have tried to solve some and lets just say the results were not satisfactory lol Im sure If i get a costumed to the methods to solving them, then i will do much better.

I mentioned private tutoring because i had heard good things about it in previous posts here in BL. Im sure as the thread matures there will be some other positive/negative reviews for it.

thanks for the good info man.

^ REALLY work on those logic puzzles. It's (IME) the easiest section to get loads better at with practice. It's difficult at first but you start to learn patterns and, really, the only way to learn these is through doing them over and over again. Good luck.