Bluelight

Thread: BUZZ in DC is over

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    BUZZ in DC is over 
    Unhappy
    Our website will remain open, as will our messageboard.
    We’ll continue the Buzzlife membership policy for future Buzzlife events. Be certain to renew your membership for FREE.
    For more info: www.buzzlife.com
    = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: FOR MORE INFORMATION:
    September 18, 2002 Amanda Huie, [email protected]
    BUZZ ENDS ITS NINE YEAR RUN IN WASHINGTON, DC
    On Wednesday, September 18th, after increased pressure from the DC Government, the United States Military and the United States Federal Government, Buzzlife Productions announces that it’s weekly event, Buzz will no longer take place in Washington, DC, effective immediately.
    A two and a half year investigation of DC nightclubs was launched by the military to supervise the off-duty hours of their local personnel. Unfortunately, the irresponsible behavior of a few triggered a large-scale clampdown on all military nightlife activities. In early September Nation nightclub was declared off-limits to all servicemen. However, the “witch-hunt” was not over.
    In an unprecedented move, the United States Military and the DC Police Department joined forces to share information and resources targeting both the Friday night event Buzz and the nightclub Nation. Innocent patrons were harassed and Nation management was threatened with legal action that could result in the loss of their liquor license.
    “It is unfortunate that events that cater to the youth of America historically become targets of government agencies,” comments Amanda Huie, Buzzlife Director of PR and Marketing. “As leaders in this industry, we will not allow Buzz to become a scapegoat, and in essence, tarnish all electronic dance music events.”
    Buzzlife, in July of 2002, exposed the injustice of The RAVE Act. This act, being pushed through the Senate, is a clear violation of civil liberties, a person’s right to choose the music they listen to, and an innocent businessman’s right to provide a venue for the music their patrons’ request. Buzzlife’s leadership resulted in national media coverage, protests around the country and the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Senator Leahy’s decision to remove himself as a sponsor of the bill.
    Buzzlife Productions is America’s leader in electronic dance music marketing and event promotion. First created in 1993 after a series of successful weekly and one-off events, the company rose to become the #1 Mega-Club in America, as voted by URB Magazine for the past four years.
    “We are looking to the future,” says Scott Henry, President of Buzzlife Productions. “With a love of electronic dance music and the people in this scene, Buzzlife will continue to bring the best music to the United States.”
    Log on to www.buzzlife.com to find out what will happen next!

2. Collapse Details

Angry
    When I replied to see if it was really true this is what they said:
    Effective immediately.
    No events this Friday or serious legal action will be taken...
    Much respect,
    The Buzz Crew
    Buzzlife Productions
    3207 M Street NW
    Washington, DC 20007
    OOOOHHHH MY FUCKING GOD! I FEEL LIKE SOMEONE CLOSE TO ME HAS JUST DIED AND I'M SHAKING ON THE INSIDE.

3. Collapse Details

Heart
    FUCK THAT! grrr i just got a call from people...wtf i swear...grrrrrrrr the "scene" has goen to shit ...im out

4. Collapse Details

I live in Richmond and drove just about every Friday because there is nothing to do here. Where the hell will I go to now.

5. Collapse Details

Question
    A DAMN SHAME, I just got a call about this and confirmed by checking thier website. I mean WTF, no more MD/DC scene
    Hopefully things are still all good with SONAR being expanded and opening up soon. And I guess if I have to I'll suck-it-up and party @ the Edge

6. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Angry
    The government has gone too fucking far. I was planning on going to Buzz for my first time on Oct 25 to see Tiesto. I really am honestly sad, It seemed like such a great place for everyone to get together and have a good time.

7. Collapse Details

Red face
    THAT SUCKS MAN. ALOT OF MEMORIES WERE TAKEN PLACE THERE....WHAT A SHAME

8. Collapse Details

Unhappy
    I am at a loss for words. Buzz was my home away from home, and now it's no more. That is a damn shame.

9. Collapse Details

Heart
    yea this really blows...i was there every friday
    good line up or not...So many people i have met there and so many memories...
    To all of you guys who went and share the same feeling, Please Visit www.buzzlife.com
    And Post on the message board and show yuor support...Not only are we going to miss buzz...
    But think of Scott Henry and John Tab and the many other people who have spent so much of their time, within the past 9 years...So post, and show some support and share some thanks

10. Collapse Details

Peace
    [quote]Originally posted by Rue:
    I FEEL LIKE SOMEONE CLOSE TO ME HAS JUST DIED AND I'M SHAKING ON THE INSIDE.
    Damn! */shakes head
    Rue, I know this feeling all too well. I felt the SAME exact way when my favorite hangout closed it's doors. I feel your pain.
    To all the DC/MD peeps.... I'm SO sorry!!
    -Teddy

11. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Record
    as far as i'm concerned buzz DC had the best scene and vibe on the east coast...now that's gone? wtf! this is such bullshit i cannot take it anymore.

12. Collapse Details

Why does our government hate our culture so much?? This is absolutely ridiculous... First my favorite hangout in Hartford (Same one Speekah is talking about) was shutdown, and now Buzz. I only got to go to Buzz about once every 2 months, but I still have a lot of memories from there...This truly is horrible. I believe it got shut down because they organized the anti RAVE act rally in DC a few weeks back. Ridiculous.

13. Collapse Details

Unhappy
    Sorry, y'all. I just heard about your loss.

14. Collapse Details

Unhappy
    I guess all that trouble with the demonstration did a whole helluva lot of good.
    This is rediculous. Our nations capitol, land of the free, home of the brave... what a fucking joke.
    Enjoy what you can get now kidz, becuase I predict that it's ALL going to end within the next 2 years.

15. Collapse Details

Heart
    Buzz was by far the BEST club in DC. So many good memories there. *sighes* I will definitely miss it.
    But, I believe that it will be coming back - just maybe in a different location. I, for one, will be there when it does.
    [ 24 September 2002: Message edited by: honEbee ]

16. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Unhappy
    r.i.p. buzz.
    all good things need to come to an end i guess. buzz was a good thing but there were allot of ugly things there too. maybe when they resurface they'll be able to do away with all the scetchy, red-neck drug people who flocked there.
    it's too bad they didn't have the rave act protest this friday - maybe more than, like, 10 people would've showed up this time.

17. Collapse Details

no good. i only been there once but i had the most amasing time of my life and got to meet some awsome people. ( just isn't rite

18. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Lightbulb
    I don't know about you guys, but it ain't over. They won't take me away unless I'm kicking and screaming. They can shut down Buzz, but they're not gonna take away my right to party. Buzz was an amazing place, but from what I hear, a lot of people are talking about slowly building up a scene at Velvet, eventually getting the big names there if Buzz doesn't come back. I'm gonna be there this Saturday, I'm all for fighting the good fight. We can all unite against the powers that be.

19. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Unhappy
    when i woke up this morning and heard the news i was in utter shock... hell, i'm still in shock (maybe that explains why i'm posting on bl after such a long absence )
    i haven't even been to buzz in months and the funny thing is that i was considering making my return this weekend - not anymore....
    buzz has always been much more than a club to me. i've had some of the best moments of my life in that place, and of course some not so good ones too. buzz is where i met the love of my life and countless numbers of friends. buzz is what helped to introduce me to the scene and was my home away from home for many years. i have so many memories tied up under that roof that it seems impossible that this is happening.
    i guess i should mention the edge too... only 2 more weeks (of stereo) and then they're done. apparently they don't want to hold any "rave-like events" either
    i don't really know what else to say. this is a crushing blow to our scene and although i know that things will recover, buzz will certainly be missed.
    but then again, you never know, something tells me this really might not be the end of buzz ...

20. Collapse Details

And seriously, this closing of Buzz should come as no surprise. I've never been there but every single one of my friends who went there said it was the biggest fucking crackden they have ever been to. All I know is that there was a lot of blatant drug abuse out in the open, a lot of YOUNG kids with fake id's and basically a total disregard for any type of responsible drug use... That's why it got shutdown and it ruins things for those who like to party sober or responsbily moderate their drug use.

Sean, call me naive, but I saw little of these things you've described. Of course there will always be half dozen or so crackhead kidz floating around... but what club/event/party have you ever been to that didn't have that element? Sure, A LOT of the people that partied at Buzz were high... but that really isn't the point. What is the point you ask? I'm not so sure anymore myself, so why am I telling you what's NOT the point...
    Web, stupified...

21. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Unhappy
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhh tell me why.... what to do now, what to do... and such a wonderful night we were all looking forward to tomorrow.. damn it all to hell

22. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    ok, and let me just say one more thing... i heard the news last night and i swear i wanted to cry. buzz was like a second home to me, a place we could always go... i can't even stand to think that place is gone, it doesn't seem real... so many times there, and my god, i met the love of my life there just a little over a month ago.. this is truly the end of an era.

23. Collapse Details

Star
    i found out early this morning, too early to call friends and share the news. i was shocked. i mean...with all this RAVE act sh*t, i figured the end MAY come sooner or later...but i wasn't thinking NOW obviously, buzz was in some serious trouble, or they would have given MORE notice to their end.
    scott henry and john tab have done an absolutely amazing job with that place. EVERYONE involved has. we drew in the BEST talent week after week. clearly, they had NO CHOICE but to shut down. b/c this came as such a shock to so many people. and john tab is an awesome and down-to-earth guy who really CARES about buzz's patrons. if he was able to--he would have given us more notice of the close. i haven't heard the full story of last week...but apparently there was a huge raid. nobody that i know personally was there, but they have talked to people who were. its a shame the gov't has nothin better to do than take away something *harmless* that is an important part of people's lives. not just those of us that attend--but many people's careers (djs) are at stake. might sound dramatic...but its true.
    i'm very disappointed. first ultraworld announces they no longer have use of the DC armory, and therefore will not be throwing any more massives. props to ultraworld for starting up SONAR in baltimore as a weekly club event. at least they are trying.
    we've had such a great scene in this area. the past 2 yrs that i have been going to parties, i have always known how lucky i have been to be right between baltimore and dc. now, our scene is dying.
    i have so many GREAT memories at buzz. last year in the summer, held most of my fondest memories to this date. i have met some incredible people, discovered incredible new sounds and djs, and had some incredible experiences at buzz. i am thankful that i went a couple weeks ago to buzz, and had such a great time. i haven't gone as much this year as i did last year, but at least i got "one last hurray" in b4 the close. but DAMN i wanted to see feelgood tomorrow night
    imo, and from a few others i have talked to, this may very well be *the beginning to the end* if the gov't is gonna start cracking down on parties and any event with electronic music...dc is an (unfortunetly) logical place to start. this is just my opinion, and i hope i am wrong.
    thanks for all the fantastic memories buzz! the partie may be gone, but my memories will last. sorry for the insanely long post...but i just can't believe buzz is over. a lot of my best memories and best friends have all come from that place
    ~kristen

24. Collapse Details

Arrow
    Wish I could check it out but I don't get WHFS in Richmond, VA.
    LIVE ON WHFS 99.1 FM
    FRIDAY, SEPT. 20, 2002
    12 midnight – 3 a.m. (the time Buzz normally would be broadcast live on WHFS)
    Join Scott Henry, John Tab and the rest of the Buzzlife crew as we drop classic tunes that defined Buzz over its 9 years.
    Our plan is to take callers with questions, comments or hear from those that want to share a Buzz memory with the rest of us.
    Of course it seems devestating at first and I was so looking forward to seeing Deep Dish at the end of this month but who knows, maybe things will work out. My first "rave" experience was at BUZZ and I've been going for about five years now and the memories will stay fresh. It was the one place I felt totally content at. To everyone I met and either lost your number or just never called for one reason or another, thanks for the great times and like Tupac said, "Keep ya head up". Look forward to meeting all of you at some future event. Special thanks to Scott Henry, John Tab, the BUZZ crew and every DJ who just made me come out of my skin.
    I heard that Don Mclean song today and it got me knda misty:
    A long long time ago
    I can still remember how that music used to make me smile
    And I knew if I had my chance
    That I could make those people dance
    But February made me shiver
    With every paper I'd deliver
    Bad news on the doorstep
    I couldn't take one more step
    I can't remember if I cried
    When I read about his widowed bride
    But something touched me deep inside
    The day the music died

25. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Heart
    I am from australia but the few times ive been to DC i went to Buzz and had a GREAT time. this closure is really really really SHIT i was looking forward to going there again. I can't believe the US government. Taking away the venues will not stop the drug use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast