• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Are barbiturates recreational?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blotterfan88

Greenlighter
What are some common ones (If I'm aloud to ask that on here) If not then just answer the first question

Secobarbital is supposed to be the best one. I personally don't find them recreational, but many find it has abuse potential like benzo's and other GABAergic drugs.

Does the pope wear a funny hat?

All of them have recreational potential.

The most common ones around today are Butalbital (Fioricet, Fiorinal), Phenobarbital (Luminal). Historically the most abused were/are Pentobarbital (Nembutal), Secobarbital (Seconal), Amobarbital (Amytal), etc.

They were all but replaced by the Benzodiazepines. Barbiturates have a track record of death. The dose response curve is steep. The recreational dose isn't too far from the coma/death dose.

Tchortik...some people get nauseous from barbiturates.

barbiturates are more like that graduate drugs. after youve been a junkie, you go all out and in elizabeth taylor fashion, sprinkle some seconal into your gin.

mephobarbital is schedule IV...and its actually in wide use in psychiatry today, as opposed to amytal....which has the same association as does rohypnol and quaalude....i find mephobarbital [Mebaral[ excellent for sleep, but get no euphoria from it. or else, the euphoria, say, from pentobarbital, is short lived and tumultuous and then quickly fades into dysphoria. these are not fun drugs, but SO addictive, you cant stop even though you dont like them and they make you feel like shit. keep away. they should be banned.....

What barbiturates are still prescribed today? I know technically they all can be. But whats actually prescribed and for what condition?

spec. the united states.

most common RX'd one IIRC would be phenobarbital.

pentobarbital is very common still, but you wont get typically as an out patient...its surgical sedation/ICU intubated sedation and vetrinary euthenasia as its main uses.

I know seconal is still prescribed. Thers Pentosol and Sopental. I'm not 100% if they're american.

They are more "recreational" than benzodiazepines. Phenobarbital has a more intoxicating and mildly euphroic effect, which benzodiazepines lack. It is more similar to alcohol in this fashion.

They certainly are/were recreational. After the meth freak outbreak of 1968 at Haight-Ashbury and the subsequent dry up of supplies of liquid Methedrine that was shot up, people turned to booting up Barbs: Seconal powder, and instead of wandering around paranoid, wired, psychotics, they were stumbleing barb drunks.

The main potent ones were:
-Seconal
-Amytal
-Tuinal (Sec+Amy)
-Nembutal-the most potent band potentialy lethal (ceased dist in the US, 04')

I know a dude who was given Nembutal a few times afew years ago, and he said they gave the deepest best sleep he ever had.

Here in New Zealand these barbs were dropped for out-patient scripting in 1990, Nembutal long before that.

I met a 50yo guy 5 years ago who said the Tuinals he had tried during the daytime many years before made him have to close one eye to focus/see straight.

I met a 50yo guy 5 years ago who said the Tuinals he had tried during the daytime many years before made him have to close one eye to focus/see straight.

i tried Tuinal in Russia a few years back...

and im not a fan of barbs...and im opposed to them cause theyre dangerous yada yada..but.

it was like insane tranquility, a dream that kept on going. waking, sleeping, dreaming, hallucinating, and during all this, a pleasant buzz which felt like something that i can only describe like a combination of dilaudid and rohypnol with a valium twist and a few cubes of librium....

however, i had to be roused from sleep rather violently. apparently i almost went into respiratory arrest from a 'normal dose'.

they sell this shit otc in that country. well..everything is otc if you have money and can sweet-talk the hag behind the counter.

but to think...like 'back in the day' people were walking around on this crap....must have been horrible. to have nothing else for anxiety or insomnia but some heavy duty suicide waiting to happen barbiturate lying around......its either hell or heaven, i can't tell which.

What barbiturates are still prescribed today? I know technically they all can be. But whats actually prescribed and for what condition?

spec. the united states.

seconal is in full swing ,,,so is nembutal....well at least in the east coast in inpatient psych wards and in nonpsych settings where its necessary. commonly, a patient with a very very complicated set of features has been using the barbiturate in question for many years on and off, and instead of trying something new, they'll continue with the proven method.

the only barbiturate used today in psychiatry in an outpatient setting is Mebaral. Second to that, Luminal but even that is exceptionally rare, and typically, reserved for epilepsy or spasms of the GI tract, as in preps such as Donnatal. Third place is Seconal which is still prescribed by some psychs after youve done the sleep study and its proven that theres no hope for you otherwise, and youve gone through megadoses of chloral, placidyl, doriden, miltown and all the other Lucille Ball concoctions....then theyll suggest secobarb, however most pharmacies do not carry the tablet version...only injection, which is not for sleepytime use but for more serious matters.

so dont count on it. either go to russia where they'll sell you the child out of their womb for a discount....or stick to good old ambien. The Nembutal of our Times. Ambien.

pathetic.

Alot of people find butalbital recreational.

I recently tried Butalbital (fioricet) and found it worthless. I started small and ended up taking alot. I felt almost nothing. I felt the caffiene more than anything. For some reason, both nights I did them, I awoke very grumpy almost hostile. I don't like them.

Short acting barbiturates (meaning they're still for at least a day in the system...) can be considered recreational. Despite long half-life drugs such as secobarbital or pentobarbital don't leave me with a hang-over the following day. They're good for problems with sleeping and I'm already prescribed clonazepam for my benzodiazepine addiction so I still get even 3 nights a week sleepless, clonazepam do nothing about it nor do buprenorphine I take as a substitute... Yeah, like they call it - politoxicomania - it sucks. Anyway, long acting and more lipophilic barbiturates like phenobarbital leave a marked hang-over the following day and it's the only one available in my country at pharmacies for prescription. There's a compound medicine with allobarbital and aminophenazone (meant for light pain control) and this one is OTC but I never took it (it contains 30mg of allobarbital and 220mg of aminophenazone). Allobarbital doesn't seem to be interesting in any aspect for me so I'll pass on getting it in pure salt. A table with used barbiturates with their T1/2 would be useful (well, their potency is about the same). Other possible recreational short-acting ones would be butobarbital and quinalobarbital.

phenobarbital (the onnly barb i tried) is not very recreational... it knocked me out cold for 2 hours (i was in a jail cell) then when i woke up i just felt really chilled and relaxed, even though i had some serious explaining to do to the cops..... i'd also taken diazepam and cyamemazine

I enjoy butalbital and secobarbital of occasion. Barbiturates are not my DOC, but some people dig them.

They are inducers of many cytochrome P450 pathways and it seems it's clinically important. I had problems dosing methadone once a day, I have problems dosing buprenorphine once a day, that's another story and not connected to barbiturates. Anyway, that's worth noting. Well, it's worth noting that probably the only barbiturate left on markets is phenobarbital and dosing it daily may produce a serious build-up of this in blood as its clearance is very slow.

From what I've tried:

Pentobarbital/secobarbital = yes, with pento being the better of the two
Phenobarbital/butalbital = no

Would love to try amobarbital, preferably in combination with seco; Tuinal was supposed to be absolutely great.

Status
Not open for further replies.