Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Lap Bands and drug use

bortnib

Greenlighter
I'm not sure if anyone here will have the answer but i figured asking about lap bands and drugs here would be better than asking a forum of lap band people

Im currently deciding whether or not im going to go ahead with the operation and i have been able to find answers to pretty much everything i wanted to know and i understand the whole changing your lifestyle thing as well. but with all the info out there couldnt find anything about the risks associated with using drug with a lap band

atm we'll use about once a week and use pills, speed, ice or acid (not all at the same time) average amount is 6+pills or a halfa minimum for ice and speed or anywhere up to about 6 tabs/sugar cubes.

i know another girl who has a lap band, but she hardly uses and only will have 1-2 pills, so havent been able to get much help there

obviously if i bring it up with the doctor will just get a 'dont do it at all no matter what' type of response. And im perfectly happy to cut down my use but yeah was really wanting to know if anyone out there can offer any advice about the risks or lack of from using drugs with a lap band

While I can't speak with any authority on this, looking at the surgical procedures and where the gastric band is normally placed, I wouldn't think it would interfere with the absorption of most drugs. I've known 2 people who have had these fitted, and neither ever complained about problems with medications.

Many drugs (including MDMA) are absorbed mostly in the duodenum, so shouldn't be affected at all. LSD though is absorbed in the fundus of the stomach, so might be slightly affected, but probably not noticeably.

Lap band surgery is contraindicated for people with drug and alcohol dependence but this probably has more to do with nutrition.

Don't know if this is worth mentioning, but as said, I've known two people who had this surgery. One had lasting success; the other had initial success, but began to gain weight after a year or so. She then decided to have a gastric bypass and kept her weight down from there on.

obviously if i bring it up with the doctor will just get a 'dont do it at all no matter what' type of response.

umm, depending upon your age, I'd say either he/she needs some real world education, or you need to consult another doctor. You could always approach it from a different angle. Try asking him if there are any pharmaceuticals that need to be avoided following surgery.

Thanks for the answer phase_dancer. Interesting subject.

I doubt small amounts that are required for drug effects would be such a worry with lap band surgery. Particularly on an empty stomach the size of the stomach is usually halved(?) so I'd expect unless something had a gel coating that required a time release you should still expect absorption to occur.

The main concern are the psycological effects of the surgery. I understand depression and other mood swings are common and councilling is recommended before and after surgery. I wouldn't expect illicit drug use to be helpful.

I sent the OP a pm, but I'll make it public for anyone searching in the future.

A girl I know got this... she dropped a huuuuuuuuuuuuge quantity of weight. She is an utter drug fiend when money and availability synch up... all uppers. No impact after the band whatsoever.

The only things to steer clear of are benzos. Whether its the fact they relax everything or they create a 'pouch' above the band is open to conjecture, but she can certainly put away a whole lotta food when she loads up on Xanax.