Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Shadow People The Visual Noise Theory

DemonSeed

Bluelighter
Hello there,

I read a bit about the Shadow People and theories around this phenonema (wiki has a good article on the subject)... I told good friends about my ideas about it, my own theory, and everyone agreed it made sense so am sharing it. I had to take a shift in my mindset when I was confronted to the vision... throwed away the hyperdimensional entities theories and tried to stay grounded on earth.

Shadow People

The Visual Noise Theory

I have saw and contemplated the Shadow People more than a few times. It’s something I would have rather preferred to avoid, but since I found myself in such presences, I got to think a lot about them. At first, I thought they were some kind of entities that became perceivable when mental shields got off, after abusing amphetamines for example. I came to elaborate a new theory regarding those apparitions. I called it the Visual Noise Theory. What is the Visual Noise? Everyone can see it, many just don’t pay attention, it is the little coloured dots you can see in your visual field. I think they are probably a result of the continual visual processing of what we see made by the brain, some kind of residues like we see on old television.

Some drugs will make this visual noise more noticeable, pass the point you just can’t avoid it. Regarding stimulants abuse, it appears when you push yourself too far on the mental level. I only see Shadow People if I stay focused on various tasks for many hours, not when I’m just chilling with friends. The walls may even start breathing sometimes before the Visual Noise goes crazy. It all happens at night. I noticed it starts around midnight, with the walls breathing sometimes. I think I get hypnotized by the computer screen for so long that once I turn it off, I enter this altered state. Once the day is back, unless major drugs abuse, the visuals fade mostly.

The drugs, draining my energy, sleep deprivation… add the neurotransmitters your brain secretes at night, such as melatonin or even dimethyltryptamine, may cause those hallucinations, a particular fucked up altered state. When you start seeing Shadow People or Creatures, you are being paranoiac. The brain is going crazy, try to see the object around you, and along with our natural dreaming drugs, the brain imagination dominates and so appears the Shadow People. Basically, I see them as projections from my brain like some symbolic characters in my dreams, a manifestation of my unconscious.

The Shadow People always have smiles, almost laugh and act all funny, but at the same time, their actions and intentions and strictly to mess up with you and trap you into paranoia and fear. There’s nothing more paranoid to me than that! Which make me thinks the Shadow People are paranoia itself, turned into a visual process that takes form into the Visual Noise. It’s the unconscious screaming at you, being mad for what you did to yourself, a lesson to take into consideration the next time.

Now if you consider the characters projected by the unconscious as a manifestation of your deep self… I have to say they are still entities as they are manifestations of my true nature, something that have no shape or form but that is undoubtedly alive like a spirit.

Interesting theory and well written. I like the more internal focus. When alot of people talk about shadow people it tends to have more spiritual connotations. Being spiritual myself I tend to hold some of these beliefs but what you have to say is very interesting. I like that you pull visual noise into it. It seems like alot of people don't tend to put much thought on the way visual noise can act when hallucinating.

I saw some very benevolent shadow people and had a surpassing awareness of their presence on Ambien all the time before Ms. Valium and I hooked up. I have a girl on the side named Klonopin, so, no more imaginary guests since Ambien's hallucinogenic effects are completely eradicated when I am dependent on benzos. But I only ever used Ambien recreationally and I use benzos medicinally, so what're you gonna do...

Do yous ever get aural shadow effects - such as shadow radio ?

What's this got to do with psychedelics DemonSeed ?

However it's vaguely interesting so it can stay for a while

hmm, i've only ever had this off speed binges, like 2+ days. Once you hit the third night it's so bad you just don't wanna carry on, probably why i've never been a big speed user.

Although i've never had them laugh or act strange, i'll just be walking somewhere and see someone stood in the street but they dissapear when I get close..pretty freaky.

Good theory though hah.

Interesting ideas. But any reason why you picked Psychedelic Drug Discussion for this topic as opposed to Other Drugs?

Because such experiences are mind-manifesting, psychedelics in many ways, not that it is a trip worth it at all, it's sure ain't. It's still fascinating and may bring light on some common psychedelics phenomena, like DMT entities and such. My smelling and earring capacity are much heightened by amphetamines... I can hear my family breathing in their slumber at night and every little possible noise around... the world sometimes appears so different. Many times at night I have heard what would be the echoes of hell if there is such a thing... not as beautiful as a brook or river singing on 2C-E, but still fascinating. It mostly become psychedelic at night, not necessarly after abuse... I have never saw the walls breathing so much and watched at some very interesting visuals moving like patterns. Since I went there in insanity, just thought of sharing my 2-cents.

Although i've never had them laugh or act strange, i'll just be walking somewhere and see someone stood in the street but they dissapear when I get close..pretty freaky.

This isn't a Shadow People. They are many kind of apparitions appearing as shadow-like wannabe spirits... they are not made of the visual noise. Shadow People acts like they are friendly, but they keep trying to scare you. The other shadow beings are just different. Once, instead of crashing, I got into a contemplation with shadows flying all around my room; it was amazing. Some other time, I focused on staying rational and could make them go away.

I think they are probably a result of the continual visual processing of what we see made by the brain, some kind of residues like we see on old television.

... Basically, I see them as projections from my brain like some symbolic characters in my dreams, a manifestation of my unconscious.
It's quite common to see things in the periphery of vision because so much of what appears there is a perceptual extrapolation of spotty retinal sensory data points. Drugs and sleep deprivation weaken and distort the integrity of that perceptual field, and as a result all kinds of usually subconscious imagery leaks through the cracks.

I started a thread in philosophy and spirituality that didn't get far a while back where I asked if TV static could function as a projection screen for subconscious imagery and act as a biofeedback tool during meditation. Images of people are very common in the static for, I think, two major reasons: (1) we have numerous sensory memories of people that are always floating around our subconscious; (2) our perceptual systems are hard wired to analyze human features. So, whether the integrity of the perceptual field is made weak by drugs or by a highly unstable sensory image like TV static, the subconscious projections that appear naturally gravitate towards anthropomorphized (human-like) forms. Our perceptual systems are habituated to such forms, both in memory and in mold. The behaviors the forms engage in is largely shaped by concurrent emotional states, whatever those may be (including paranoia.)

You put it really well with words. Just as a plus... I saw another kind of apparition. Entities floating in the air, self-transforming and made of the visual noise. They were not hostile... but sleeping in my bed or close to me in the air, barely noticeable. I was reading about entities vampirizing other entities energy during that time... I wasn't accepting or refusing what I read, just stayed open-minded, but subjectively I allowed myself to be tempted to believe... Those air entities were often on me... and I saw yellow, white and blue flashy lightings going through my whole arms. That was quite amazing... after shaking my head and getting more logic, I now know it was just a delirious hallucination my subconscious and I rendered with my imagination.

I saw a lot of cats... I thought at first they could be entities, thought about cats having nine lifes, being worshiped by egyptians, slaughtered in Middle Age... until I was smart enough to think about the fact I have had cats all of my life. I was one of those who liked the theories of spacetime, dimensional and supradimensional realities and entities... I'm more skeptical and rationnal now and always open-minded.

In my bedroom or in the basement but rarely. Differents kind of cats. I remember one had a diety appearance and it was easy to interract with and was a vivid hallucination. Of course, those cats are usually black shadow. Maybe that's why they say black cats bring bad fortune!

I see shadow people still and it all started when i first started using MDMA i used it A LOT when i did it
like twice a week but now i haven't done it in 2 months and i still see shadow people all the time
and i sometimes so cats also
but mostly i see like the walls/other things breathing...
only at night or looking out of the windshield in the car.

We used to call them the "Meth Ninjas" because every time you would turn your head to look, they would be gone.

It really seems that this is more prominent in stimulant use than anything else.

Yeah I'd be inclined to consider this more of a symptom of temporary psychosis as opposed to psychedelic phenomena. I've only experienced anything like this after amphetamine abuse.

the other day i was smoking a jeezy in my room and i passed it to the Shadow Person next to me without thinking much of it and then i am like man pass that shit...i look at the shadow person and *PoOf* the motherfucker straight up dissapeared...thats the last time i pass my weed to a dam Shadow Person...

i binged on crack for like 60+ hours beforehand...so IDK if that has any effect on it but i am pretty sure that shadow person ran of with my joint...watch out for them dam MethNinja-ShadowPeople they are some sneaky mothereffers!

dont' disrespect the paranormal peeps. I am convinced their is evidence of paranormal entities who generate & then feed off of negative emotions/energy. SkinWalker Ranch it seems may also produce some sort of scientific evidence towards that. Acknowledge their place in the universe & then move on also please Send some unconditional love & white light if your in the position too,

When much younger a few others & myself had a group experience & witnessed the same occurrence which no one spoke during.

On the other hand in the past I've binged out with a large amount of crack cocaine & heroin(come down) for 3+ days prior to seeing "shadow people" pacing my yard(it was night) I resorted to barricading Every entrance to my haven & ended sleeping with a large, sharp shank.

Sleeping next to a pile of crack is a rather pleasant but taxing experience; Smoking til black out just to awake to smoke to black out point again, repeat a handful of times, what do you know its been a week & now you see shadow people outside your house as well, welcome to psychosis.

Last edited:
visual noise = onset of hppd (Hallucinogen persisting perception disorder) or one of the effects that hppd has on the ocular part of the brain. Can be brought on by hallucinagenic drug use, and or stimulant or opiod abuse. Shadow people is your paroid amphetamined out brain combining your paranioa with your hppd. HPPD does not have to progress into you having all signs and symptoms of it. Some people get only 1-2 of the symptoms ever and still qualify for having hppd.

- just a note i do believe in the paranormal and the spirtual sides of life. And i have also seen black cats but only after awaking from sleep and in dreams.

Hmm sounds like something that used to happen to me a couple years ago a few times. Mostly it was really really late at night, but I was useing the tv, comp, and playing games fora long amount of time. Two of the times I saw them running, one that walked across my room when I glanced at the open doorway and another time walking up the stairs on seperate occasions.
On wiki it says they never stand still, but the final time I spun around in my chair in a full circle and saw what appeared as a young girl (8-10) standing in my hallway, but also could not see thier face parts and stuff. The moment I looked back she was gone. Would you call these visits from shadow people?

i've got shadow people in blue with talki walkies and shadow dogs crawling round my house!!!!

I like that theory. The only time I have been seriously confronted with Shadow People was when I unknowingly took a lot of methamphetamine (thinking to be only MDMA), nitrous oxide, and salvia. I was so delirious though when the shadow people appeared it manifested in me as severe confusion instead of paranoia. Occasional apparitions would appear when I was alone at night in large spaces. All gone now. Thanks.