The Bluelight Blogs Megathread

LiLc

Ex-Bluelighter
Do all comments require moderator approval?

I Ask because I just posted a comment on a friends blog and it has a little check mark next to it saying "Moderated Comment"

This might be a dumb question :\

It's an option for the blogger to have comments moderated or not when they post their entry. The default is set so comments aren't moderated.

Well, that's also a good bit of info for any of our curious members. Maybe we ought to start a Mega-BLOG FAQ in SUPPORT similar to the one we have for GALLERY?

tis done and here we are. :)

i just started my own blog, so i could maybe even answer some questions on the whole thing.

Give me another week and I'll add another stupid question to this thread.

email notification of comments on your (my) blog doesn't appear to be working...

Alright BL,

This Blog is very strange and new to me.

so pardon my developmentally disabled comments ->

I just want to say that at first - I had no idea where the blogs were. So for those who have blogg-y shyness or been out of the loop from work like me.

Click on Quick Links.

hehe.

:)

cheers WV. it might be an idea for this thread to become a 'Blogging Tips' thread, similar to the 'Bluelight Tips' thread. so i would definitely welcome any other observations people have made that would help others get to grips with this new feature.

for example, i have discovered:

if you use the 'Publish By' option, and specify a date - you can decide what date an entry is listed by. obviously. but this means you can specify the exact order entries are posted in, and insert entries retrospectively. which is extremely useful if you're as shit at keeping a diary as me! :)

Moderating comments option not functioning.

I have checked Moderate comments before posting - or to some effect like that..

I wasn't prompted to approve the comments before they were posted publicly and wondered if there was something I did wrong?

Thanks for your help.

:)

^^^
Sorry for any inconsistencies over the past week, we've been experimenting with the settings"

It's an option for the blogger to have comments moderated or not when they post their entry. The default is set so comments aren't moderated.

Settings as they now exist are
  • Bluelighters
    - When you create (or edit) your BLOG entry, you have checkboxes to a) allow people to post comments and b ) to moderate those comments. If you set it for 'Moderated' that means the comments WILL NOT show to the public until you approve them, but they will always be visible to YOU since you own the BLOG.
    - You cannot edit or delete anyone's comments to your BLOG. Once approved, you cannot unapprove them.

• Greenlighters
    - Can reply to other people's BLOGs (if they allow comments)
    - Cannot have your own BLOG just yet - this is something the Admin are still kicking around, but hope to have an answer on shortly.

• Staff
    - smods and admin will not be moderated, their posts will automatically be approved. They can also comment to BLOG entries which do not allow for comments (essentially we can override the system)

Like I said - it's a work in progress, but that's where we are at this point.

Last edited:
**With newer members frequently having their posts closed and being told their offering ought to be taken to JOURNAL ... BLOG...

GLers now have the same permission and ability as BLers.

I see the link to 'Approve Comments' but am unable to approve them. I am simply taken to the unapproved comment with no option to approve. Am I missing something?

I'm not positive on if it's the same for you or not, but there should be a check box with the comment. Check the box and then below your comments there's a moderation drop-down menu. You should be able to approve comments from there.

Yeah I don't have a dropdown or checkbox option. No biggie. I just set it so comments don't need to be moderated. There is only one comment that I can't approve

Thanks spork!

I'm almost positive ANYBODY who sets there own blog comments to be moderated can approve them, I've had no problems.

^^That's how it is supposed to work - if you can set it to moderated, you ought to have the power to approve the comments. I'll try to check this out again in the coming week (you know I'm not actually going to do any BL work on my 4 day weekend, right?)

hmm, I am actually experiencing the same thing. I am unable to approve a comment that was made to my bloggy (no check box or any option to approve).

What a lemon!

I am un-checking moderate comments for now, but if a mod would be so lovely as to allow the comment on "plain and simple politics" to be approved I would surely appreciate the attention.

Thank you!

xox