• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Veg. for a week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liltokerboy

Bluelighter
I have decided to try and go vegetarian for a week. I know this may not seem like much, but I am someone who really enjoys eating meat. I plan on doing this as an act of self discipline and control. I thought about fasting for a short period of time, but I'm really not able to do that at this point in time. I was curious as to whether or not anyone out there had any good recipes for the new vegetarian type, or had any tips for this particular situation.

I like meat too but the difference between you and me is that when I decide something I try to stick to it.
New recipe will not work for you much unless you have control on your nerve.

What type of vegetarian are you looking to be? Will you still eat fish, eggs, dairy? If you're including any of the above it's really easy to frame your diet around using those as primary fat/protein sources. If you're doing a week as a vegan you're going to have a really hard time-- but using beans, nuts, seeds, and legumes for protein allows for a lot of easy fiber in your diet so you can eat snack-type foods (provided they don't have animal products).

I'm planning on just going vegetarian, not vegan. Just no meat, keeping the dairy and whatnot. I was just looking for some tips from people who have done this before, or are vegetarians themselves :)

Vegetarian threads tend to get derailed pretty quickly, let's see if we can stick to the point on this one.

First of all, in my experience making as big a change as removing meat from your diet doesn't work well if you try to do it drastically. For some it may, but what I found worked for me was slowly weaning myself off meat over a long period. It allowed my habits to slowly change, my cooking repertoire to adjust itself, and made it so that I've pretty well never missed meat since.

But if you're just doing this as a trial thing, then a meatless week should be easy. Use the time to play around in the kitchen a bit. Find a fun vegetarian cookbook and work your way through it. Or play around and find ways to adopt your omnivorous recipes for a vegetarian diet. Just avoid the fake meat products that are surprisingly abundant. They tend to be heavily processed, artificially flavoured, and not particularly good for you.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions, and good luck!

Ps. After re-reading your original thread I had one last thing to mention: you do know that this won't really be much like a fast right? Well, unless your setting it up to be an ascetic's veg diet. A well-made vegetarian meal is just as filling as an omnivorous one IME.

Theres so much yummy stuff out there that isnt meat. Meat is just an overrated thing if you ask me. I eat it because its put infront of me all the time, but if it wasn't I would never think of it.

I find it to be a crude food. What a waste of energy... Many many brilliant and down to earth doctors will say its totally not necessary.

I'm planning on just going vegetarian, not vegan. Just no meat, keeping the dairy and whatnot. I was just looking for some tips from people who have done this before, or are vegetarians themselves :)

The big thing I'd suggest is to make sure that each meal (especially breakkie) has plenty of protein and that you aren't just loading up on junk. Since it's a temp thing and not a lifestyle change, I'd plan on eggs and toast type breakfasts and indulge in lots of fish and pasta for dinner. Oh, and salads-- some hard boiled egg and cheese make any salad a lot more filling and yummy. Read labels, too-- you'd be surprised how much protein is in a lot of traditional "carb" foods like whole grain breads and bagels.

I switched from a regular meat-eating diet to vegetarian like the flip of a switch. I didn't have a problem at all with it. Suppliment with B12, though- as it's hard to find non-meat sources. I didn't for the first year, but I imagine it hurt me a little. One week won't hurt anything, some people don't eat anything for weeks at a time (not that they're "healthy").

^^Vegetarian diet usually doesn't include fish :) Use soy products for protein.

Protein is not exactly an essential nutrient. Unless you are just eating lettuce, you will get your necessary ounce or so of protein per day.

Not to mention that overreliance on soy protein can cause serious hormonal issues, even worse than those from excess consumption of hormone treated meat.

When i first tried going vegetarian ( no meat and no milk) I did just a one day fast and the days after..took some probiotics, digestive enzymes, and lots of fiber and lots of cellfood in my water. The next few days i was shitting so much ..more than what i was eating.. felt like i was clearing all the leftover meat and whatnot out of my colon.

Sometimes it is hard to avoid meat because humans have been eating it for so long and it's very high in protein. I just stopped eating meat and milk for a month and i could noticeably discern the difference in my body. I felt lighter and cleaner, and overall more healthful.

To replace the nutrients i would normally get from meat and dairy milk..i looked towards different protein sources like whey,egg protein, pea protein, hemp protein, nuts & seeds, legumes, whole grains. I made sure i had enough anti-oxidants, vitamins, and minerals from numerous foods and supplements.

here is a plan i had when i first started..
breakfast- oatmeal+hemp milk - coconut oil, egg & hemp protein, cinnamon, almond butter, flaxseed, chia seed( huge bowl but kept me full till midday)

lunchtime- hemp butter with sprouted whole grain bread(Ezekiel 4:9) +whey shake..this really fills me up)
sometimes I'll just eat some fruits and berries in protein shake

dinner- salad with vegetables, black beans, brown rice, Pea protein shake with superfood greens formula powder

Night- sometimes peanutbutter sandwich or straight butter with casein shake + fishoil,borage oil or avocado oil

I only did this for a month because i was running out of resources to keep it up(money :\). I settled for less expensive foods and easier methods..like a hunk of meat and some rice. When i went back to eating meat i would feel an uneasy body anxiety. Like an intuitive feeling that it didn't want to be in my body after i eat it...but i soon got used to it again.

Going vegetarian expanded my awareness about all the different types of foods and different diets there are. I find it fun and healthy to buy all kinds of organic whole foods, but i also found myself with less money. so until then, I eat as healthy as i can ,while supplementing to fill in the nutrients I feel i need.

I'm not saying being a vegetarian is better than being a omnivore , but from my experience, I can honestly recommend ...anyways..just wanted to share;)

^^Vegetarian diet usually doesn't include fish :) Use soy products for protein.

There's something called "Pesco-Vegetarianism" and "Pesco-Ovo" and "Pesco-Ovo" and "Ovo" and "Lacto" and all kinds of variants of "vegetarian" diet.

I actually try to stay away from soy foods for reasons stated above. I already smoke cannabis, I don't need other chemicals making my body think it's female.

It's not like I eat fish often-enough anyhow. I usually rely on fish oil to get what I find really useful in fish (Omega 3s).

Protein is not exactly an essential nutrient. Unless you are just eating lettuce, you will get your necessary ounce or so of protein per day.
protein (and fat) are essential for good health. I think you are thinking of carbohydrates? (those can be entirely left out of a diet and you can still maintain good health because your body has mechanisms to convert protein and fat into simple sugars).

protein (and fat) are essential for good health. I think you are thinking of carbohydrates? (those can be entirely left out of a diet and you can still maintain good health because your body has mechanisms to convert protein and fat into simple sugars).

I'm saying it's almost physically impossible to not eat enough protein daily. The average person can get by with 20-30 grams of protein a day. There's that much protein in 6 slices of bread.

No matter how you add up your 1500 or 2500 or whatever calories each day, unless you're just eating a single low-protein grain or vegetable by itself, you're going to get the necessary protein your body needs.

You will run into people who say otherwise, especially on Bluelight, but they probably ended up in the Healthy Living forum by way of the Steroid Discussion forum, and their perspective is skewed by years of body building.

^+1.
You have to eat so shittily to get insufficient protein that you'd likely have to do so on purpose. If you include something protein-rich at every meal (eg, a legume, a type of nut, an egg or dairy thing), you'll be fine. When I analyzed my own diet (as a v-gun), I was only sightly defficient in zinc...and likely coulda used additional omega-3s.

As for recipies, the BL cook book has a couple of decent veggo recipies (some of which are mine), www.vegweb.com is good, as is www.veggieboards.com's food sections.

ebola

perhaps eat at vegan restaurants? they have some dishes that really taste close to their meat counterparts but not quite.

Status
Not open for further replies.