View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

How Google Maps will help you score heroin, with help from the gov't

phr

Ex-Bluelighter
Natalie's Law will reveal the locations of heroin arrests
The Southampton Press

The Suffolk County Legislature this week passed what has been called “Natalie’s Law” under which the county would set up a website to provide information about the location of all arrests involving heroin. It did so despite the argument of Legislator Thomas Barraga of West Islip that it was a “feel-good bill” that would help drug dealers and addicts.

The measure is named after Natalie Ciappa, an 18-year-old from Massapequa, in neighboring Nassau County, who died of a heroin overdose in June. On Monday, a day before the Suffolk Legislature acted, Nassau passed a similar Natalie’s Law.

Its sponsor in Suffolk was Legislator Wayne Horsley of Lindenhurst who described it as “the most effective ... legislation possible.” It would not “defeat the emerging heroin epidemic in suburbia, but Natalie’s Law does constitute a necessary tool allowing law enforcement and families to identify who we are fighting and where they are.”

But Mr. Barraga, as the legislature met Tuesday in Hauppauge, said that “drug dealers are not dumb, they’re shrewd, and drug addicts are shrewd and desperate for a fix” and that he expected that they would be the main people using the website. They would do that to make sure they don’t engage in heroin dealing in locations that come up on the website because of the attention the areas could be expected to be given. Thus Natalie’s Law would not only engender a “false sense of security,” said Mr. Barraga, but guide drug dealers “on the move.”

However, Legislator Kate Browning of Shirley said “parents in my district” commonly look at a website created as part of Megan’s Law—aimed at registered sex offenders—and she believed they would keep watch on the website that would be constructed for Natalie’s Law. However, she said “I would like to see it expanded” to cover arrests for other drugs, especially OxyContin.

Mr. Horsley, in response to the Barraga criticism, called the measure “the first step in tackling a scourge.”

The vote on the bill was 17-1. Mr. Barraga cast the lone dissent.

The bill now goes to County Executive Steve Levy for his consideration.

Link!

Wow. So for the kids out there who would normally never come across dope, they can on a whim look up where the latest arrests have been and take a ride down to the seedier areas of their county/state to cop their first fix. Better yet, the family and friends of junkies can make their way down to these spots and yell at the drug dealer who ruined their loved one's life! Sounds like a completely logical and safe idea.

I should add though that in Chicago, there is a website that lists all the crimes that have occurred and where in a certain time frame. The will list something like "possession of controlled substance--X block of X street." I'll admit that I've looked at it a couple times to see where the most deals are getting busted but mainly to see how close they were to my tips.

^
A lot of cities have those. But typically they don't list the exact substance and it doesn't get updated that often.

This is crazy and I would assume most people already involved in heroin would have a pretty good idea where to pick it up.

^
A lot of cities have those. But typically they don't list the exact substance and it doesn't get updated that often.

The one I go to DOES tell you the substance. It's about a week or so behind real time, but it's interesting to look at. Like I said, I have my tips, I just look as research.

Interesting. I wonder who many times that has helped people cop?

Cosmic charlie makes a good point. I wouldn't be worried about this being used by people deep in the scene already. I'd be more worried about naive users, who are most likely to get into trouble.

This is crazy and I would assume most people already involved in heroin would have a pretty good idea where to pick it up.

And now the people who don't know, but want to know where to buy it can know too! From the comfort of their own home in fact!

this will work out great. ive been trying to find either heroin or oxys for years now- legitimately trying, too. Thank you google!

Absolutely moronic idea.
This accomplishes nothing. Let's look at who it could help:

Law Enforcement? - already have the stats and they know where the drugs are so no help to them. Will just put more pressure on them to make more small/easy arrests of users and small time dealers.

Dealers? Serious Users? - helps them see what areas are hot.....which most already know

Noobs looking to try/find drugs? - gives them a virtual road map of where to find them which many would never have found otherwise

Residents of Drug Areas? - destroys value of their homes and attracts more drug seekers. Also invites other types of crime to the area.

So, who does this help? Just gives politicians & relatives of victims a false sense of security/accomplishment and gives people who don't know where to find drugs a detailed map. Will also attract even more of a criminal element to these areas. Carjackers, stick-up kids and rip-off dealers now know there will be an influx of stupid suburban kids to these areas loking for drugs.

^
Well said. I can't even think of how this will be helpful for the victims and relatives of people who have abused those drugs. It doesn't change the past and I don't see it helping with the road to recovery.

The War on Drugs has spawned some horrible initiatives, but this has to be one of the worst, if not the worst.

ba haha hahahahahaaaaaaaaa....awww man, u serious? *facepalm* Not a good look peeps. Reminds me of a few years ago when the Bergen Record (NJ) printed a several week long ongoin story on the open air drug trade in Paterson. they had a whole section on the Dawgg Pound (Aka Alabama Projects aka the Alexander Hamilton Homes) which was on fire at the time. they closed the pound down this year as they was gradualy evacuatin ppl out of there over the course of a few yrs but at that time shit was runnin like clockwork. So wat did they do. They wrote the location street address and that it was swarmin with dope as well as a bunch of other dope spots in the area COMPLETE WITH A MAP OF PATERSON HIGHLIGHTING THE DOPE SPOTS. Ahhh, dumb naieve bergen county kids gettin busted, and served, since you know they cant get em all. that was one of the dumbest things ever published. i remember they had some thing like this girl from wayne or some other rich town like "O yea i just roll up with a crowbar in my lexus incase they try to rob me " or sum dumb shit like that. i am willin to bet one hunned % that that series of articles was responsible for at least a handful of brand spankin new NJ dopeheads.

all these dealers refusing to hook us middle class people with heroin cuz its "too strong" and "i dont fuck with that shit" and "dont fuck w that shit mang", when theyll give us any pill imaginable, including hydromorphone and oxymorphone and oxies and u name it

FINALLY i will be able to try the opiate father! i will just look for the "shops" on this website, and voila! :)

Conspiracy

1) In the name of safety, enact a plan to make heroin more accessible to people who don't know how to get it (suburban teens who just got a drivers license and like the media image, they've never seen the real thing before)

1 effect) Increase the heroin problem
1.a effect) bring it into areas where parents are likely to create a huge outcry
1.b effect) Country terrified as parents Everywhere realize that heroin is striking the heart of the country

Result A) Parents Hysterical, easily manipulated by politician's drug talk
Result B) Drug hysteria provides talking point cover for any economic woes, corruption, anything politicians Should be taking care of
Result C) Drug hysteria provides 'reason' for increased military expenditure on drug war
Result D) Increased prison terms, increased prison population