• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction I think I shot heroin into an artery

Jesus christ, djsim said it all in the FIRST post, why you still stuck around is beyond me, I really hope you are on your way to or in the ER right now.

lol djsim needs a custom title under his name that says "i'm a doctor listen to me!"

Anyways, I Hope everything goes well, OP Please keep us updated.

This happened to me today. I went to the ER. Seeing that the nurse didn't have the same urgency as I did, I left. As someone who doesn't have medical insurance, I wouldn't want a lecture to "be safe" and get a bill for $5,000 or whatever.

The swelling has decreased substantially but I still have a tingle or two on my extremities. It's getting better though. And given that I shot less than 10cc, mostly diluted, I doubt whatever really happened could be that serious.

I have done an artery-shot once with amphetamine sulphate, this was with pretty musch water also like 3 ml total but nothing happned... lucky me cause i was so fucked up on benzos so i couldnt walk straight. When i think of it now im like, WTF was i doing? Risking life and limb for a little rush?

Go to the ER or family doc!

Not to downplay the situation but I've missed shots plenty of times. It burned A LOT, no matter where I missed the shot and it swelled up extremely. I just waited awhile and the swelling went down. I would advise listening to most of these people and goto the ER because what I did was probably extremely stupid.

if the swelling moves up your arm go to the er immediately

Can someone explain the difference between shooting in a Vein versus Artery?

My best guess is that with an artery, the blood moves towards the cells to distribute Oxygen, but brings with H and all the other crap with it, getting it stuck in cells and capillaries.

But what happens with a vein? The blood is pumped back through the heart, to the lung, and then throughout the body and brain? Does that extra few seconds give the H time to a absorb into something better? Just curious

Hey thread.post,

Can you give us an update on your condition from last month? I just read that .pdf and it concerns me.

My best guess is that with an artery, the blood moves towards the cells to distribute Oxygen, but brings with H and all the other crap with it, getting it stuck in cells and capillaries.

But what happens with a vein? The blood is pumped back through the heart, to the lung, and then throughout the body and brain? Does that extra few seconds give the H time to a absorb into something better? Just curious

Check out this safer injecting website - it's fairly comprehensive.

Basically - arteries carry blood away from your heart, into progressively smaller blood vessels that can be easily blocked by particles in your injecting mix - this is what leads to gangrene 8o

You can tell the difference between veins and arteries as follows:
Arteries have a pulse; veins don't. SO don't inject into anything with a pulse
Arteries have nerves; veins don't. SO stop injecting if you feel pain when you inject - particularly if the pain heads away from your heart (eg down towards your fingers if injecting into your arm) - note also that pain when you inject can also indicate you've fallen out of the vein.
Arterial blood is bright red and under pressure; venous blood is darker and not under pressure. SO you can sometimes tell if you've hit an artery (depending on how big it is) by signs like: frothy bright red blood comes into syringe, plunger pushed back from pressure.

If you think you have started to inject into an artery, STOP immediately, withdraw the needle and apply firm pressure to the spot you injected for at least 5 minutes. If you can't get the bleeding to stop (for example if you hit the femoral artery with a 23g needle) - get to a hospital. And of course same goes for swelling/pain from arterial injection - losing your fingers sucks (particualrly if you play guitar and are not Django Reinhardt or Tony Iommi)

If you shot directly into an artery, what would the doctors do to fix it? Does it cause a blood-clot? If so, do they give you low volume Heparin injections to thin the blood just like if you had a deep vein thrombosis?

just thoguht i would bring it to people attention... this was weeks ago... if hes not going to the emergency room by now... would deffinitly like an update from the OP though.
Also I think we were a little hard on the OP. It's honestly a little hard to make rational decisions when you are that worried, amybe he was sorta in shock and as knowledgable as djsm sounds, maybe the OP didn't know he is medically trained...
Hope hes alright...
-Spaz-

you guys wont get an update, his last profile activity was the date this thread was made.

Wow, I was under the impression that shooting into an artery was a disaster that required immediate medical attention.

A lot of people here are making it sound like no big deal, claiming they haev done it lots of times.

Maybe not all of the artery shots were actually artery shots?

i guess it depends on the artery. I have done it many many times in my arm. never lasted but 15 minutes, swells up, heart races, think im gonna die etc. Just recenty it was the worse i ever done it. I almost lost conciousnous cause i was so tired and heart beating so fast. but it all subsided. thank God!

I hope

Ummm duh!!

Firstly I would like to point out that for all u ppl who use so much, u do miss a shit load of times, so first advise STOP USING ur wasting the gear for the rest of them!!!

Secondly majority of u who "hit an artery" sounds to us like u merely missed, ALOT!!! So either learn how to do it properly & as safely as is possible OR as Ive already said GIVE IT UP, silly ammatures. I mean seriously if u shoot its for the rush so why would u risk missing out on it by not knowing how to do it properly, get urself a using buddy.

& one last thing for everyone waiting for an update on this bloke, u wont get one aside from it being written 4yrs ago, as was stated by a few ppl, he probably got gangrene & lost his figures leaving him unable to type..

So to all of u that so called "hit ur arteries" (I think just missed ur viens) u should learn from this guys mistake & learn how to shoot cause not only may u lose ur fingers, hands, arms, feet or whatever but that means ur druggie selves wont be able to use anymore 8o & ya'll dont want they hey, too many rushes to be missed by missing viens, isnt there???

Several lbs of pressure on the walls. Arteries, have oxogen filled blood that rams against the walls with good deal of energy, which is why if u nick certain arteries it is possible to bleed out in record time. Shooting into one means no less oxogen to ones hand, alot of blood fucking everywhere, lots of blood loss and a good risk of infection in the oxygen rich blood.

Most people in the thread sound like they just missed shots, shotting through the arterial wall is much worse and requires immediate medical attencion.

If you THINK you did....then you probably did my man. When you hit an artery for example on your wrist, yes i have been there before myself, you get somewhat of an electric burn or tingling (extremely upleasant) down from where you injected....the procedure is as soon as you realize its an artery, REMOVE the needle and apply pressure to stop the bleeding. and since your hands gonna swell up like a balloon (depending where you hit) its good to elevate or keep it above your heart to decrease throbbing, the only real cure is time..

If it makes you feel better.... I shit you not this is a true story... I tried to fix on my left wrist and BOOM hit an artery my hand swell up like krusty the clown from the simpsons and I was so fucking pissed... I tried (fumbling with my swollen fingers) to hit my other hand/wrist...and HIT ANOTHER ARTERY....BOTH of my hands were swollen like balloons for 24 hours plus....to this day I have not met a single other user who has hit 2 arteries on both hands with one shot.

Happy hunting. remember....if you feel a pulse....GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

I agree with several of the above posts, very common newb mistake that causes no end of missing and IS THE REASON a lot of my veins are gone because noone told me in the beginning that 28Gs were too big (all the needle exchange carried back then) and that it is IMPORTANT after registering and before injecting, to anchor your syringe well (rest the end of the barrel where it turns into the needle against the skin when you are hitting, this preevents the needle from moving sliding in or out or possibly going through back side of the vein when you are trying to inject. For missed shots, warm compresses and epsom salt.

The difference is and the easiest way to tell is that the blood from a vien is DARK and SLOW MOVING, arterial blood is BRIGHT RED and FAST MOVING as in sometimes it can even move the plunger back by its self due to the pressure, when you pull back to register make sure there isnt a big contrast of red to the color of the issue, for example shooting bth once registered it should just fill up the blood and the dope practically look the same color because one the bloods dark and 2 my tolllerance is so high my shots are starting to be like fucking mollases!

im not sure if this was an artery or what but im curious to see if anyone knows. last night i was trying for EVER to find a vein and i ended up shooting up in my finger vein. the blood wasn't bright red but it did rush in very fast. i had a tie on and i couldn't take it off, so i put the whoe shot in and after i took the strap off, it felt like my heart was stopping (it hurt) and i was struggling to breathe. i almost lost all conciousness, and i really thought i was going to die. after all that subsided i was very itchy all over and my legs especially were swollen, my face a little bit swollen but not so much.. and i forgot to mention also i had to recook the h because the blood was clotting in the syringe. so i'm not sure if i shot up a chunk of something or if it was an artery????