• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Fruit with protein?

GETYAGUN!!11

Bluelighter
Okay, is this a fucking myth or what?

Does fruit not digest that well with protein? How long should i wait AFTER i eat FRUIT to have protein? Just a myth?

I practice trophology ( or food combining) and I cannot imagine living any other way. The process of digestion has nine basic rules which describe combinations to avoid, and this is one of them:

Protein + Acid Fruit.

Fruits are under sugars..and are split into the following three categories:
* Acid fruits - tomatoes, citrus (lemons, limes, oranges, pineapples, grapefruits), strawberries, cranberries
* Sub-acid fruits - melons, apples, pears, peaches, plums, grapes, cherries, raspberries, blackberries
* Sweet fruits - dried dates, figs, raisins, bananas, prunes, pawpaw

Just a backgrounder on the rules of food combining:

Proteins are digested by the enzyme pepsin in the stomach, which only works in the presence of hydrochloric acid (HCl). (Note this is different from the acid in acid fruits, which impede protein digestion.) Different concentrated proteins require secretions of very different digestive juices, so one should only eat one kind of protein (and likewise only one starch) at a time. However, since most foods contain small amounts of protein, we ignore it in combinations, the rules for combining foods applying only to the concentrated starches, sugars, fats and proteins.

Starches, on the other hand, require an alkali medium and the amylase in saliva which contains ptyalin, an enzyme which breaks down starch into maltose. The process continues in the small intestine, where more amylase further breaks down the maltose into simple glucose, fructose and galactose. These are absorbed into the bloodstream, and taken to the liver, which dispenses the energy to whatever cells in the body need it. If there is no immediate requirement, the glucose will be converted to glycogen and stored in the liver, or into fat to be stored in adipose tissue.

So consuming proteins and starches together will result in each being impeded by the other. Similarly, the eating of sugars and acid fruits impede the action of ptyalin and pepsin, reducing the secretion of saliva, and delaying digestion. If insufficient amylase is present in the mouth (due to insufficient chewing, or too much sugar), any starches will not be digested at all in the stomach, instead clogging up the works until amylase in the small intestine can get to work on it.

Fats impede the secretion of digestive juices, and reduce the amount of pepsin and hydrochloric acid, so they should be avoided or used sparingly with protein-rich foods.

Vegetables and salads combine well with all food types.

Acid fruits clash with most things, so are best eaten on their own; melons also, a special case, which should never be combined with other foods. Sub-acid fruits are easier to mix with other types in moderation, but all fruits are digested not in the stomach but the intestine, so will just slow things down (and ferment) until they get there. This is why a purely fruit diet is so beneficial to health (especially when one is ill), there being no starches or proteins to impede the fruits which pass quickly through the stomach to the intestine.

So....to answer your question, maybe it would be best not to eat (especially acidic) fruit AND protein together if you want to properly and thoroughly digest your meal . As for how long after eating protein can one eat fruit...I'm not really sure about that....

Anyway is this a real life or death situation? Must you HAVE fruits with your protein? :\;)

Yep, life or death situation......since everything posted in Healthy Living is a "life or death" situation 8)

Wow....sarcasm is oozing from your pores 8) So what? Is this a valid question and are you really looking for valid, helpful answers or are you just going to post witty remarks all night?

I used to make protein shakes with ice cream, a banana, some dried goji berries, and dried dates...the fat content and fruit never was a problems for me..i do make sure i get some digestive enzymes and fiber in me on a regular basis..

its fine

concentrate on your daily macros to improve your diet and stop worrying about these little meaningless aspects

its all about taking in enough protein, fat, and carbs per day to stimulate growth. It doesn't really matter what form they are in and what they are taken alongside (as long as the proteins are complete proteins, ie mostly meat).

edit: For I am another you

^I do think protein shakes are quite healthy and delicious. Since the milk (protein) and fruit are already liquefied, it would pass through and assimilate in the digestive system a lot quicker and more efficiently. I guess when I read "Fruit + protein" I immediately think of a huge steak and a bowl of strawberries...which is a combination I will definitely not eat! ;)

You don't want to be digesting starch efficiently. You want to slow digestion as much as possible by eating fiber, fat, and protein with every meal.

Wow....sarcasm is oozing from your pores So what? Is this a valid question and are you really looking for valid, helpful answers or are you just going to post witty remarks all night

I responded to you like that because you asked if my question was a "life or death situation"...implying that it didn't really need to be answered? Idk, came off rude at first

There was a ;) face as if that wasn't enough indication. And your response just totally ignored my lengthy post and focused on that? Think about it.
Back on topic guys.

Interesting thread. This trophology is something I want to learn more about.
Mariacallas, so you're saying that combining other things (besides the meat and acid fruit example) is bad. I'm not sure if I completely understand the write-up you posted. Is it saying that combining starches and meats is bad? Would this advise against popular dishes that combine starch and meats like spaghetti and meatballs? or fish and rice?

^ :) When we mix certain foods together they can cause stomach upset and more flatulence than usual i.e. starches + dairy, protein+ acid fruits, etc. I've been practicing food combining for the past two years now and I just feel cleaner and better over all .

It is an established scientific fact in Western medicine that in order to initiate efficient digestion of any concentrated animal protein, the stomach must secrete pepsin. But it is also a well-known fact that pepsin can function only in a highly acidic medium, which must be maintained for several hours for complete digestion of proteins.

It is an equally well established fact of science that when we chew a piece of bread or potato or any other carbohydrate/starch, ptyalin and other alkaline juices are immediately secreted into the food by the saliva in the mouth. When swallowed, the alkalized starches require an alkaline medium in the stomach in order to complete digestion.

Anyone should be able to figure out what therefore happens when you ingest protein and starch together. Acid and alkaline juices are secreted simultaneously in response to the incoming protein and starch, promptly neutralizing one another and leaving a weak, watery solution in the stomach that digests neither protein or starch properly. Instead proteins putrefy and starches ferment owing to the constant presence of bacteria in the digestive tract.

This putrefaction and fermentation are the primary cause of all sorts of digestive stress, including gas, heartburn, cramps, bloating, constipation, foul stools, bleeding piles, colitis, and so forth.

Many so called 'allergies' are also the direct result of improper food combinations; the bloodstream picks up toxins from the putrefied, fermented mess as it passes slowly through the intestines, and these toxins in turn cause rashes, hives, headaches, nausea and other symptoms commonly branded as allergies. The same foods that cause allergic reactions when improperly combines often have no ill side-effects whatsoever when consumed according to the rules of trophology. The final fact of the matter is this: when you immobilize your stomach and impair digestive functions by consuming foods in indiscriminate combination, the bacteria in your alimentary canal have a field day. They get all the nutrients and thrive, while you get all the waste and suffer.

If you do a search you will come up with many resources on food combining.
foodcombining.jpg

Thanks for the info. I will do some reading on this and try it out.

thanks marciallas...and no, i didnt just focus on YOUR sarcastic remark, i focused on ur answer, 4 sure, which basically confirmed this "myth".....except it is just with "acid" fruits, which happen to be what i eat most :(....

Pineapple!!!Doesn't it have bromeilan which helps trasport protein to muscles? SOooooo culd u eat THAT acid fruit with protein?

maybe if you have a sensitive digestive system

but if you're pounding 4k calories a day this shit really doesn't make a difference, bro

^^ I tried ur method yesterday gaian...and ate everything in sight that had alot of protein, fat, and carbs

Dude, i did SO much better on my workout today (more reps, better pumps, etc)

EXCEPT, Ive been taking shits like non stop all day and yesterday, like liquid BURNING STINGING shits....and i DO eat alot of fiber and other shit....

It's just coming as a shock to your digestive system is all. You'll get used to it.

yeah your body will adjust and your bowel movements will become regular (one LARGE bowel movement per day is regular although some people take two a day, just depends on your personal biochemistry and metabolism).

if you're trying to lift hard then definitely focus on eating above maintenance and forget about these little aspects which will only throw off your total calorie intake. Leave the yogic food combining hocus pocus to the 100 pound girls :)