• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Fruit with protein?

PROTEIN-
It is not helpful for me because of the high level of uric acid in my blood.

When I was 100 pounds, I ate everything in sight to try to get un-skinny, but that didn't work then :/

While I do not have the breadth of knowledge and patience that MC has on food combining, I do have several practices that are of the sort.

I eat some things that combine proteins with starches (particularly desserts that are sweet but have beans or whatnot). I believe that as long as you do not do this in large amounts, you will be fine.

I also do not eat a purely bean-rice tandem, because I find it causes gas. I still eat them together, though, but I try to make my meal mostly greens.

Last edited:
Flatulence is a sign of intestinal fortitude and good health.

^^Well, idk about EXCESSIVE flatulence.....

AND MARIACALLAS- TRUST ME!!!! U DO NOT WANT TO BE 100 lbs...

lol skinny girls are GGRRROOOSSSEEE...just not healthy...get some meat on ur bones for real!

^Hahaha don't worry , I'm far from 100 lbs =D I've always had some meat on my bones !

This question is in response to Getyaguns' post and Dtergents' post about eating everything in sight and combining proteins and starches. Getyagun mentions that he does better on workouts when he does this, but trophology sounds like it advises against this because it impairs digestion and can cause health problems. So if you were to eat your starches, then wait an hour or so fo rthem to digest, then eat proteisn, would you do even better on a workout?

I'm assuming that since you separate proteins and starches, each one digests quicker and more efficiently. The result would be that you have even more energy for a workout and better digestion.

^You could experiment with that!

I didn't want to delve into the "rules" since it would derail the thread a bit, but I eat things based on personal rules that I can apply by taking into consideration the food's characteristics. I also learned a lot from watching things decompose in nature (searching for good compost methodologies) and seeing them react with digestive enzymes. Again, it's up to everyone to discover what is food dogma and not.

E.g.
I don't eat heavy food with light food. For instance, heavy whole-grain breads with light fruit. Along these lines, it would be most agreeable to have a thinnish slice of meat with some light bread, and some fiber thingies like pickles to move it along.

I eat fruit before the meal. Raw, light fruit goes through really fast in my stomach. Sometimes after less than an hour, I'm crapping it out (there are some easily identifiable fruits). When you eat this after your heavy meal, you might find some unpleasant mucus/bad-smelling saliva forming-- because the fruit will already be digested but it is not passing through, held back by heavier food.

I try to eat desserts before the meal. This is because these are tougher on the system than my veg meals (especially sugary ones), with more fermentation, and also use more enzymes. And also, I find that beginning the meal with a sweet thing (or even a sour siding) helps me deal better with spicy things later on. Perhaps it forms an unctuous coating in my system? I've read things that suggest this.

I eat salads (especially bitter ones) after a meal, just like I would have thick cacao. The bitter/astringent properties can decrease appetite (and digestion).

Again, these things I follow, because throughout the day, I'm not engaging in warrior-like activities, and therefore I need to make some effort that my body will have an easier time digesting. I have friends who do a lot of gymming and eat everything that they want, and that goes right through.

While I generally follow these principles, I do not allow myself to be held back or controlled by them. Yep, I go for multi-course meals that don't follow these patterns. This is because, ultimately, I trust food cultures more than nutritionism. While we can isolate some nutrients and examine them, a meal is more than the sum of its parts. Thousands of years of evolution and improvements from anecdotes/patterns... you can't beat that. We don't want to be pedants-- it takes the fun out of eating!

And my general tenet is, just don't have too much of everything.

Sorry for the derailment.

Again, it's up to everyone to discover what is food dogma and not.

Agreed! :D After all, we are all different..we have to find out what works best for our bodies and our individual make-up.

This question is in response to Getyaguns' post and Dtergents' post about eating everything in sight and combining proteins and starches. Getyagun mentions that he does better on workouts when he does this, but trophology sounds like it advises against this because it impairs digestion and can cause health problems. So if you were to eat your starches, then wait an hour or so fo rthem to digest, then eat proteisn, would you do even better on a workout?

I'm assuming that since you separate proteins and starches, each one digests quicker and more efficiently. The result would be that you have even more energy for a workout and better digestion.

Why would you want your food to digest quicker? That is not necessarily a good thing.

It depends on when/why you are eating. For instance, immediately after a workout when protein uptake into muscle fibers is high, then you want a fast releasing protein (with minimal fats to slow absorption and simple sugars to help 'carry' the protein to the muscle fibers) - ie like whey and gatorade. But, if you're going to sleep after a hard work day and a lifting day, then you want very slow releasing foods, lots of fats, some complex carbs, and good slow-releasing proteins (like cheese protein).

You want your digestion and resulting insulin release to be as slow as possible except for the window of time 60 minutes before to 60 minutes after a workout. Speedy digestion of carbohydrates leads to insulin resistance.

This isn't just advice for body builders or something. This is basic human metabolism, but not very widespread knowledge yet.

nods and what does eating a bunch of fruit without protein (to slow down absorption) do? Blunts future insulin responses.

I think a bunch of the yogic food combining stuff is just a crock...its from old/outdated ideas that ignore very basic and simple mechanisms in the body.

but like somebody said in this thread, by all means experiment and find what works for you (psychologically even).

^I'm pretty certain we can put forward our beliefs without dismissing others' as "a crock" or saying some diets or for who you construe to be pansies.

Also be aware that mainstream Western nutritionism isn't the end-all of health paradigms, whether in terms of methodology or conclusions (of which there are countless opposing ones, actually).

I am grateful for this thread, I have wondered about food combining principles in nutrition and different takes on what is involved. I don't have to much experience with having an intentional diet though, because I've been a lifelong dietary opportunist (eating whatever is easily available-a scavenger, sort of). The most I've done so far on a consistent basis is to chew starchy foods thoroughly. Starches really need salivary enzymes to digest well.

I suspect that a more systematic diet could help some people with miscellaneous health problems related to leaky gut syndrome. I realize that many people don't think there is such a thing. I do believe that slight digestive imbalances can come to effect the whole system in a fairly profound way. Now if I could just exercise the discipline to act in accordance with my belief:!

^Glad this thread could be of help to you :)

Sometimes the biggest hurdle is not physiological but psychological...It's a fact of life that people find it much easier to believe something they've heard a thousand times than a viewpoint they've never heard before. What's most important is to unlearn all the bad dietary habits instilled since early childhood , then familiarize oneself with the real facts concerning diet and nutrition. And there is no need to take anyone else's word about all this....just simply follow what you think is best for you and your body will provide all the evidence you need.

^I'm pretty certain we can put forward our beliefs without dismissing others' as "a crock" or saying some diets or for who you construe to be pansies.

Also be aware that mainstream Western nutritionism isn't the end-all of health paradigms, whether in terms of methodology or conclusions (of which there are countless opposing ones, actually).

Exactly. The Healthy Living forum prides itself in having members who share their experiences and beliefs about many issues, and those who have the decency to "agree to disagree" in a tactful manner (without resulting to insults or dismissive "bunch of crock" remarks) have my highest respect.

^ eh whatever...if you don't have a thick skin discussions are borderline useless.

well eastern yogic traditions should be taken with a whopping grain of salt (but not too much you'll get bloated!)...I've personally felt the wrath of their principles upon my neuroendocrinological system. Yeah its real smart to fast and eat 'sattvic' all the time 8)

That's your opinion. 8) Who said anything about a thick skin? One should still have a modicum of decency and respect when discussing issues here, which doesn't render it borderline "useless". You've stated your opinion so lets leave at that. No need to bash others repeatedly in every other thread when you disagree with something.

Seriously back on topic now. :p

yes back to the discussion on yogic food combining with no underlying verifiable principles supporting it :D

Why would you want your food to digest quicker? That is not necessarily a good thing.

It depends on when/why you are eating. For instance, immediately after a workout when protein uptake into muscle fibers is high, then you want a fast releasing protein (with minimal fats to slow absorption and simple sugars to help 'carry' the protein to the muscle fibers) - ie like whey and gatorade. But, if you're going to sleep after a hard work day and a lifting day, then you want very slow releasing foods, lots of fats, some complex carbs, and good slow-releasing proteins (like cheese protein).
You and Coolio make some good points. The comment about after-workout food is interesting too.
What I have in mind, for example, is to try eating complex carbs like whole grains which digest slowly. And afterwards, eat some fish or meat. I wouldn't eat some highly refined flour or drink a Coke by themselves because of the insulin spike, as you mention.
One reason I'm interested in this is because I have some problems with digestion sometimes. And Mariacallas' struck a nerve in an earlier post about certain food meal combinations digesting in succession and putrifying and fermenting in the gut when eaten together. It looks like there is a scientific basis for this. The toxins released and the stress on the digestive system can't be good for you. This is something I'm going to research and see what there is to it.

Different food classes (from whats-their-face's chart) require different enzymes and thusly different ph's to digest best. Sugars make proteins ferment.

Look up the different enzymes that work in your stomach and look at their different ph preference.