• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Addicted and need help??? Click here

There are some great ideas/links in this thread. Glad so many people are willing to share their stories and help each other. I fully agree that there are two components to quitting: stopping the use/abuse of the drug, AND increasing positive habits, positive thoughts, and positive goals. Those who have been addicted for a long time may find that they've alienated any number of their friends who don't use, that they've given up more positive habits and goals, and that they've distanced themselves, or stopped thinking about, career goals. So it's quite easy to feel as though all you have is the drug. It's more difficult to see how setting aside the drug allows you to regain what you've lost, and to drive forward to better things. But, of course, as you set aside the drug, you CAN learn to either heal old friendships and or make new ones; to repair career/educational damage, and to forge ahead towards new achievements; and to discover or re-discover a variety of positive experiences and habits in life that you've been missing.

Someone above said that if you really want to quit, then you are able to quit on your own; willpower is enough. The contrapositive to this rule is: if you cannot quit on your own, then you do not really want to quit.

That's simply wrong.

It depends on the individual. Some find themselves able to taper and leave on their own, but for those deep in addiction, I think the weight of the empirical evidence is that willpower and desire aren't enough by themselves.

Willpower and desire to quit ARE enough, though, to allow an addict to get some access to tools to quit, and to discover what tools work best for them. For some it might be NA. For others it might be rehab. Different tools will work for different people.

Imo an individual trying to quit should, if able, find a good therapist, who focuses on a cognitive therapy approach to substance abuse, and, in conjunction with that, try the different approaches to quitting that are available, such as NA, such as rehab. The therapist will be able to provide you with feedback on your choices, how you're approaching your decisions, the progress you're making, how you're handling setbacks (everyone has them; they're normal) and will have access to information and tools that you may not have discovered on your own. That individual will function as a guide, whom you will be able to use both to end the abuse of the drugs and to achieve more positive goals in your life (career, relationship, health, athletic, etc.).

There is nothing shameful or weak about using tools, like cognitive therapy, like NA, like rehab, to achieve your goal. Frankly, it is a far greater sign of weakness to NOT seek out those tools, and use them. We wouldn't get very far as individuals or a species if we didn't seek the help and knowledge of others to advance ourselves. Can you imagine the early modern human being, depressed and discouraged after his group had another losing encounter with a tiger or mastodon, deciding that it would be "shameful" to figure out how to use spears to solve the problem? Or the contemporary human being who thought his bone should really be strong enough to heal the fracture on its own, without medical assistance?

People get addicted for a variety of reasons. There's nothing shameful in it. There is a residual effect in our society, deriving from an outmoded view of human nature which thought any sickness, disease, etc., to be the result of an inherent "bad character," which encourages us to be ashamed of being addicted. This view applied with special force to mental ailments. We still feel its effects. It's annoying, it's archaic, and when it stops people from using the tools we've developed to heal problems, it's harmful.

Good luck to everyone out there fighting to heal and drive forward. The tools are there, and the goals are achievable. Do not get discouraged by setbacks. They happen to everyone, and they occur in every human endeavor, whether it's going to the moon or quitting a habit. They can be a catalyst for greater progress if you use them. Learn from the setback, and move forward.

Anyone that lives in the southeastern U.S. I know of a great rehab that really helped me, if you are interested then just PM me because I'm not sure if it's allowed to post a specific rehab facility.

Everyone who works there is a recovering addict, from the janitors all the way to the doctors. It's a quiet location and is a great place IME. The food is great, all of the counselors have crazy ass stories, and it's a great place to just get away to think.

I'll post the link to their website if the mods tell me it's alright to do. Oh yea, wouldn't it be a good idea for those with addiction stories to post them and how they got clean or how they are trying to do just that?

I've gotten clean many times! ;) AAAlllllllllll on my own. No brainwashing necessary. Will power people. Regulation. Rehab may help some, but it has really fucked up a lot of my people. Also, statistically the relapse rate is huge. I think its time for the 12 steps to die. But, thats just my opinion.

leftwing

I know what it's like to have to suffer through WD's, that's why I found suboxone to really help me through my addiction.

I don't have chronic pain, but I find that there are mild analgesic effects to buprenorphine.

Opiates are the Bad-Fun. Its a love affair but its like having a love affair with a model with Aids, sure it's fun but sooner or later your gonna get sick and/or Die.

All I can say to those people out there suffering, you can do it, I did, tho its only been a couple weeks but I feel better now that I have in the entire time I was using, my self esteem has returned, every day I feel better and better about not using.

But to those who are addicted to Opiates, I was doing 300mg of oral morphine daily for a year, and also about as many blue roxi's as I could get my hands on. if I could do it without getting on done and without getting on a regular supply of Subs (I did use two)
this was my detox plan.

Day 1. Tramadol as much as needed but not over 400mg. I chew two and eat to 50mg pills.
Day 2. Tramadol same story
day 3. Tramadol but reduced intake by 25% down to three pills one chewed two swallowed.
Day 4. Relapse!! yea its part of recovery 1 morphine 100mg time release get your sleep your gonna need it.
Day 5. Nothing you had morphine yesterday you dont deserve anything till bedtime, take one tramadol and any muscle relaxers ect sleep aides u want.
Day 6. down to one tramadol but feel a bit edgy.
Day 7. Relapse!! Hey its part of recovery and I did not have anthing all day wait till evening if you can. 1 morphine 100mg time release chewed up.
Day 8. I feel fine cuz I used yesterday, allowed one tramadol at bedtime.
Day 9. Limit to one tramadol all day.
Day 10. Time to be clean. do not use all day.
day 11. I had 1/4th of a 8mg suboxone. I take a tiny tiny line out of it about half of the quarter of the pill. rail it down and BAMM!!! it makes me HIGH as Morphine...
Day 12. feeling fine decide to rail down teh rest of the quarter of pill in the evening before bed.
Day. 13 woke up feeling great did not use.
Day 14. No withdrawls so not using today either.
Day 15. here I am and feeling great, at this point I feel soo good about not using that the self satisfaction is as good as any pill. never looking back Life has meanign once more.

I've gotten clean many times! ;) AAAlllllllllll on my own. No brainwashing necessary. Will power people. Regulation. Rehab may help some, but it has really fucked up a lot of my people. Also, statistically the relapse rate is huge. I think its time for the 12 steps to die. But, thats just my opinion.

I totally agree, the 12 steps are BS to me, I think they are desigend for 50+ year old Burn outs who need to believe that somthign greater then themselves is at work.

My theory is you got yourself addicted you can get unaddicted.
never underestemate teh power of your mind, if you set your mind to it you can do anything.

Its easy to fail when you think yourself powerless against your addiction, I see it the exact opposite, I am like alright your a fucking solder! you can hold your own in battle, Heck you call Point! So bring it on is some fucking pill gonna get the best of you, Fuck no aint how things roll. Muscle up mother fucker its time to move out.:X thats my mantra when I get down, look at the drugs like they are your worst enemy for which you have NO love!

i have a question

my dr. whom i was seeing for 3 years is retiring , so i had to find a new one. the problem is that it is hard to find a dr. around here or anywhere that would give me the same meds or the quantity that i use to get. he was prescribing me methadone 10 mg. 2 pills 4 times a day which i was taking 360 a month and also was taking 90 - 10 mg. loratab a month. well my new dr. took away my loratab and only gave me 120 methadone a month so i am taking 10 mg 4 times a day. i didn't think i would experience any withdraws but i feel like crap and hurt like hell. does anyone know of anything that would help me i would appreciate it. don't ever live in the state of michigan if you are on pain meds cause you will not find a dr. that will help at all.

Those are effects worth discussing with your doctor Barrysgirl, but I think going back to loratab is a bad idea. The pain and feeling like crap is in all likelihood temporary, and you'll start feeling better. If there's some underlying condition causing those feelings, there are better treatments available.

What you're going through is difficult, but hang in there. Others have walked the same trails you have, and they've come out the other side. So will you.

I'm new here, and I don't THINK this is out of line based on the posted guidelines (apologies if it is), but why not keep us posted on this thread about how you're doing with the change, or any other questions you have?

leftwing

I know what it's like to have to suffer through WD's, that's why I found suboxone to really help me through my addiction.

I don't have chronic pain, but I find that there are mild analgesic effects to buprenorphine.

definitely, i was prescribed slow release transdermal buprenorphine patches for a year for my pain and was greatly happy with it. if it werent for the skin reactions in relation to the silicone on the patches i would still be on buprenorphine.

here's what the bad boys look like.

bupepatches.jpg

barrysgirl said:
my dr. whom i was seeing for 3 years is retiring , so i had to find a new one. the problem is that it is hard to find a dr. around here or anywhere that would give me the same meds or the quantity that i use to get. he was prescribing me methadone 10 mg. 2 pills 4 times a day which i was taking 360 a month and also was taking 90 - 10 mg. loratab a month. well my new dr. took away my loratab and only gave me 120 methadone a month so i am taking 10 mg 4 times a day. i didn't think i would experience any withdraws but i feel like crap and hurt like hell. does anyone know of anything that would help me i would appreciate it. don't ever live in the state of michigan if you are on pain meds cause you will not find a dr. that will help at all.

Click on the mega merged link in my signature to this post, then click on the link for the guide to narcotic withdrawal thread. The sort of post you made really belongs in there rather then here, as this thread is more about getting help for an addiction rather then the actual meds we can use to deal with it.

You definitely should talk to your doctor and let him know that by lowering your dose like that he put you into WD. If it's not an adequate dose to treat your pain, let him know.

I really don't think that codeine is very high potential for addiction, at least for me. It's something that you do once in a while, but really don't seek to use it that often.

You could say that almost every drug has very high potential for addiction, except cannabis and hallucinogens (deleriants, psychedelics and dissociatives), if you use them for running away from you problems (be it anything).

^ Here in Oz, we have had codeine addiction publicized a bit recently since it's OTC. I've had my problems with it, but I was surprised to find out a lot of codeine addicts just take the tablets as is out of the pack and don't know what a CWE is.

Check out the psychedelics forum as well; it's relatively rare, but people do have problems with using psychedelic drugs as an escape. And I've seen more then a few people admit they have problems with cannabis. Any substance that can help you to feel better can become a problem if it interferes with your life.

I agree with your post sonic. I was addicted to opiates long before I first went through withdrawals. I first started using once every month. Soon it became once every two weeks, then once every week, and so on. I eventually started using every day and didn't think anything about it. I went through withdrawals from 40mg methadone daily and didn't think I was addicted or had any problem. One of the worst things about being an addict is the fact that you can basically bullshit yourself into believing pretty much anything. I would tell myself that I'm not going to get high until the weekend and I would end up taking pills every day. I didn't realize I was an addict until I overdosed twice at the age of 17.

Addicts are stubborn as fuck and even after I overdosed I didn't think I had any problem. I thought I just messed up and I knew it wasn't going to happen again but I was wrong. Long story short, I mixed methadone with benzos and booze and was found the next morning unconscious, blue lips, and wasn't breathing at all. I literally was dead for a few minutes. I had to be shocked twice with a defibrillator to make my heart start beating again along with a shot of Narcan. I went into cardiac and respiratory arrest. I was having seizures. I asphyxiated and had a severe case of pneumonia as well. As a result of the lack of oxygen to my body, my organs basically shut down and to this day I have heart damage from the overdose.

I woke up from the coma in the intensive care unit and tried to speak but I couldn't because of the respirator tube running down my throat. I looked at my family and tried to get them to give me a dry erase board to write on and they found one so I wrote, "Am I dying?" and all my family could do was cry. I actually was dying, the doctor's thought I was going to need a liver transplant and dialysis just to stay on life support. A doctor later told me that she wouldn't bet ten dollars that I would have actually lived. That was over a year ago now though.

Those who are reading this don't think that you are too smart to let this happen to you because it can. Anything can happen to anyone. You can be the smartest fucking person in the world and end up becoming an addict and/or overdosing.

^^^^^^^^^TRUE THAT!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I too, did the same exact thing (methadone, benzos, alc.) and just about died.
Nice eye-opening post!!8o

Anyone that lives in the southeastern U.S. I know of a great rehab that really helped me, if you are interested then just PM me because I'm not sure if it's allowed to post a specific rehab facility.

Everyone who works there is a recovering addict, from the janitors all the way to the doctors. It's a quiet location and is a great place IME. The food is great, all of the counselors have crazy ass stories, and it's a great place to just get away to think.

I'll post the link to their website if the mods tell me it's alright to do. Oh yea, wouldn't it be a good idea for those with addiction stories to post them and how they got clean or how they are trying to do just that?

did you go to cornerstone of recovery?

its just too easy to get clean on your own. rehab? naw. i dont think many of us intended to be stuck with this monkey, but never fear, you can kick it, you will live. just do your research and always be prepared.

I am addicted to Oxycodone and it sucks! I just wrote so much but it got screwed up. Anyways, stay away from the stuff. It will cause you pure he##.

hey guys sorry im really freakin out here, i have like 10 valiums left and i really want to get high off them today but i cant because i have to save them for when my nan gets here shes annoying as hell. and I am running low on my script aswell, any suggestions? should I just take some sleeping pills and sleep all day so i dont gota go through the withdraws?

^ I've been there before, and back, and then back to the bottom then back up again. It's on the rebounds that I realize it's not completely hopeless, I just never grab the chance to completely pull my way up. I will someday. I'm sure a lot of us will.