• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Grapefruit Enhances Adderall for Me

Scarletta

Bluelighter
I've found that grapefruit juice makes my adderall seem more potent. This is despite the fact that it is a citric acid. I've read that grapefruit is actually an alkalyzer. If so, that would explain it. Is this true? Has anyone else had the same experience?

Interesting, did it potentiate the effects and make the duration longer? How much did you take?

I drank about 8 oz of fresh grapefruit juice about half an hour before taking 30 mg Adderall IR. It seemed to energize me more and give me more of a sense of euphoria, and i am pretty tolerant. 30 mg of Adderall alone would give me focus but not euphoria. So I attribute it to the grapefruit.

A search of the web reveals a lot of information that grapefruit juice is an alkalizing agent, which the Rx lists for dextroamphetamine state are the same as baking soda, antacids, etc.

This is very fascinating, I guess Grapefruit juice is the best enhancer of benzos/opiates, to go along with stimulants? Take any vitamins to decrease tolerance? I.E Magnesium.

I haven't been taking anything and no I did not use baking soda or anything else.

I believe amphetamine is also metabolized by some of the enzymes GFJ inhibits which would explain it potentiation. This will extend the duration along with increasing the intensity so beware if you want to sleep without eating handfuls of benzos.

theWorldWithin said:
I believe amphetamine is also metabolized by some of the enzymes GFJ inhibits which would explain it potentiation. This will extend the duration along with increasing the intensity so beware if you want to sleep without eating handfuls of benzos.

But the majority of amphetamines consumed are excreted unmetabolized, so I don't know if this would have much of an effect.

Placebo?

^I'm guessing its placebo...everything I could find says that amphetamine is metabolized by the cyp2d enzyme group, and GFJ inhibits 3a4, so there you go.

Guessing, i don't see why not, since it does for the xanax.

Bad guess, there are SO many metabolic pathways and biochemical reactions it's not even funny. Substrates react to different enzymes in very complex ways.

Anyway I've never felt potentiation of any amphetamine using a 2d6 inhibitor. I know I've used them before when I used to IV meth and sulfate, don't recall any significant difference (but I wasn't really looking for one either).

Could guinea pig myself with some dexamp I have, but I'm too lazy. I vote for chalking this one up to placebo.

^Like someone above said, most amphetamine is passed unmetabolized. When I looked up the metabolism, all i could find was that the 2d group would metabolize some of it. But the amount of metabolism could be so low that a 2d6 inhibitor wouldnt really matter.

Does anyone know if cirtic acid affects the absorbtion of the pro-drug Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine) like it does with dexamphetamine? I take both Vyvanse 50mg and dextroamphetamine 30mg. I have been eating antacids before taking the dex and that seems to make it feel more potent (placebo?).

Yes, that's very plausible. Decreasing acidity in order to enhance absorption of amphetamines is probably the most popular way of potentiation (think baking soda). I actually like to take antacids before most drugs, especially the ones very susceptible to deterioration from low stomach pH.

could it be about the p-gp system? gfj also afects the p-gp system.

I've been doing some research and grapefruit, along with other citrus fruits, is actually a urine alkalizer, which keeps the amphetamine in your body for longer.

The following substances are urine alkilizers:
most fruits
most vegetables
Bananas
Chocolate
Figs
Mineral water
Orange juice
Potatoes
Spinach
Watermelon
Dandelion Greens
antibiotics
mineral supplements (including potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium)
antacids
hard water

I also found through testing that I have an acidic body- a pH of 6.0. So I have an acidic body to begin with, so Adderall/amphetamines are not going to be absorbed as well. Alkalizing my urine is the best thing for me.

And that could explain why I felt the grapefruit juice enhancing it. The research I found stated that although citrus fruits are "acidic", they actually basify the body so there should be no problems with medication absorption and in fact just the opposite with citrus fruits.

I tried it again yesterday, and felt enhanced effects. I do believe it is because grapefruit actually alkalizes the urine, and that in my case at least, that offsets any "unabsorption" that the citric acid might cause.

I've found that grapefruit juice makes my adderall seem more potent. This is despite the fact that it is a citric acid. I've read that grapefruit is actually an alkalyzer. If so, that would explain it. Is this true? Has anyone else had the same experience?

citric acid significantly reduces the effects of amphetamine, methamphetamine and methylphenidate. Period. Must be a placebo effet. check it out if you wont take my word for it.

Sorry to bump another dead post, but again seems like the best place for my question. 1) chemvibration you say citric acid is bad for amp n methamp which I've heard (and thru experience believe to be correct) but leaves me curious why OJ is soooo good for an MDMA roll? Does it have to do with the fact it's mostly consumed during the roll after ingestion? 2) normally 2x 30mg adderall Xr will get me going pretty well. I waited 2 hrs after initial 2 and dosed another. It's been approx 90min since last dose and I feel next to nothing. I'm not inclined to believe it's tolerance due to my usage (frequency, previous dosages etc) but since I woke up I've drank 2-3 glasses of orange tangerine juicy juice (lol) could that be the culprit? Thanks for any input and I apologize 4 bringing up another dead subject lol.

so i have a theory.. after reading this (sorry for being 18months later).. grapefruit does make certain drugs metabolize slower causing their effect to be more intense and last longer, and it is acidic-as any citric fruit is- which causes your body to react in a alkaline response: making urine more alkaline- so.. if consuming something like adderall WITH an acidic stomach it may tear through the adderall, but if consumed separately it may increase it due to the ph change in urine. if taking something like vyvanse it would not have the destructive effect since it is a prodrug and is metabolized later in digestion- which would only increase effects of vyvanse. ..also aspirin it's own specific effect reducing your body's mechanism in which it tries to suppress energy and stimulants- so taking a NORMAL dose of aspirin may potentiate both as well. DO NOT TAKE MORE THAN NORMAL DOSES OF ASPIRIN- this can cause very nonlinear and complicated effects- including liver/kidney damage and bleeding at any site in your body. hope that helps; and please respond with any corrections/criticism.