• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

I wonder...Am I the only History Major?

I'm sure if you're thread title weren't so ambigious, you may have had a few responses here from other history majors.

I'm sure if you're thread title weren't so ambigious, you may have had a few responses here from other history majors.
+1.

Ambiguous threads titles are counterproductive, I wonder when people will learn that.

Last year you wouldn't have been. I just graduated with my BA in History last year. :)

I absolutely love learning history and would probably have a blast majoring in it, but I decided not to due to the lack of career paths.

<---- History major.

You know, it's funny...my profs did their damnedest to convince me to go into history graduate work, and I blew it off for reasons like I want to shop around, I'm not sure I want to make this an actual career yet, and so on. This was a few years ago...yet I recently came to the chilling conclusion that when it comes to nonfiction, I read more history books than any other subject by a huge margin. I've read four in the past month, am working on another, and three of the four books on my Christmas wish list are history books. Like George C. Scott's Patton: "I love it. God help me I do love it so..."

Ta da! Here's a history major. I I like politics, philosophy, literature, and just about everything on the right side of the brain, and by studying history I'm studying the practice of all those things. I'm concentrating on East Asia, because trying to decipher such enigmatic cultures (enigmatic to us westerners, anyway) is incredibly fascinating. I like Western history too, but what fascinates me the most about Asia is the incredibly different modes of thought that have developed.

Not a History Major, but Human Rights and Philosophy, Human Rights is very much so history/developing history based, though of course it is focused on one particular subject of history, and mostly has to do with the past 100 years. Still, I love history, will be taking many history courses during uni, as Human Rights and Philosophy do not require too many compulsory courses to get the degree, history courses and possibly psychology will be my electives.

World history is awesome. I prefer ancient history (pre-1800's). I got an A in history when I had to take it. I loved learning it, but I didn't know what on earth I could do with a PhD in history other than teach. LOL

World history is awesome. I prefer ancient history (pre-1800's). I got an A in history when I had to take it. I loved learning it, but I didn't know what on earth I could do with a PhD in history other than teach. LOL

I want to join the Civil Service with mine.
Its very much the old boys network where everyone's a silver tongued Latin speaking history quoting know-it-all.

Archive work, hell major corporations hire historians as consultants for the backround of any symbolic move undertaken in advertizing.

So in general, how selective is graduate school for history?

I will be doing History and Politics, joint honours, in September :) I can't wait :D