Help, I've made a big mistake

Simply Gone

Greenlighter
While I was strung out on Ambien I apparently purchased 4 gray huacaya alpacas by posting a listing on this site and then ironing out a private deal which involved using my moms credit card and lots of money ( http://www.agriseek.com/buy/e/Farm-Animals/Alpacas/)

Help! What does it take to raise alpacas? And can I turn a profit off them maybe? Would disputing the charges do anything? Are alpacas friendly? I already have 2 border collies that roam the backyard, would this be a problem if i were to keep the alpacas?

What does it take to raise alpacas?

Alpacas need space to roam, first of all. They will need regular veterinary checkups (expensive) and lots of food (expensive). They also need love and care. You better hope mommy lets you keep using that credit card, because your massive money spending has just begun.

And can I turn a profit off them maybe?

In your case not really, after you've raised them for years and years you can potentially breed them (assuming you have a male and female) and then sell the offspring, but after all the money you spent raising them you couldn't even break even. You need a larger Alpaca operation to turn any profit.

Would disputing the charges do anything?

Eh, maybe. Try it.

Are alpacas friendly?

They all have a different disposition. Some are very friendly and some are downright mean, just like people.

I already have 2 border collies that roam the backyard, would this be a problem if i were to keep the alpacas?

Depends if you can train your dogs to leave them the hell alone. Well after the first time a dog gets kicked in the face by an Alpaca it will probably learn that anyway.

So I'm curious... what made you think anyone would know anything about Alpacas here?

---> Dark Side? 8)

I cant help but rofl, help I bought some alpacas while buzzed on ambien :D

brainslookfunny said:
So I'm curious... what made you think anyone would know anything about Alpacas here?

Well I didn't really, but I don't really belong to any message boards that are centered around raising alpacas. And at least by posting here I wouldn't have to distort my story about how I ended up buying alpacas without actually knowing anything about them.

Best of bluelight material here....

Seriously, I NEED to know- why alpacas? Do you normally like them?

But yeah, I doubt your doggies is gonna like them.

btw- stillnox (as ambien is known as in Australia) has been 'responsible' for all sorts of weirdness, painting doors/eating/driving when asleep. Intoxication on zolpidem is actually probably a fair reason for this.....:)

swilow said:
Best of bluelight material here....

Seriously, I NEED to know- why alpacas? Do you normally like them?

But yeah, I doubt your doggies is gonna like them.

Well honestly not really, but there was this commercial that always played in my area about the joys and benefits of raising alpacas, it cited some website but I can't remember the name of it. Well anyway I'm pretty sure I saw that commercial when I was strung out and it all went down hill from their.

you "apparently" purchased some alpacas?
how does that work out haha!

Hahaha.

I seriously cant tell if the poster is kidding or not. I have a "feeling" its probably a joke, especially since OP has 5 posts, but maybe it isnt.

Either way its not Basic material.. lol. Hey Second Opinion, Im gonna throw this over there but feel FREE to close it if you think its troll. I dont think we've ever dumped our threads on you anyway, so this will be our first =D

But its pretty funny if its real. Alpacas? Wtf?

new packet warning on zolpidem products:

May cause user to purchase hairy South American mammals online while medically asleep.

Hey Simply Gone, I'm going to close this. It just seems like trolling to me. Feel free to PM me if this is indeed legit and you would like it reopened though.

brainslookfunny posted some info that you're looking for and you can check out Google as well.

i'm gonna re-open and move this to the lounge; hope you're ok with that sporkles. i just feel there's a lot more advice which can be given on the subject ;)

Strung out on ambien huh?

What were they all out of banana peels and nutmeg?

your border collies are herding dogs, so they will have a field day with your new alpacas.

I think alpacas spit though, so watch out.

The Alpaca (Vicugna pacos) is a domesticated species of South American camelid. It resembles a small llama in superficial appearance.

Alpacas are kept in herds that graze on the level heights of the Andes of Ecuador, southern Peru, northern Bolivia, and northern Chile at an altitude of 3500 to 5000 meters above sea-level, throughout the year.

Alpacas are considerably smaller than llamas, and unlike them are not used as beasts of burden but are valued only for their fiber. Alpaca fiber is used for making knitted and woven items, much as sheep's wool is. These items include blankets, sweaters, hats, gloves, scarves, a wide variety of textiles and ponchos in South America, and sweaters, socks, coats and bedding in other parts of the world.

The fiber comes in more than 52 natural colors as classified in Peru, 12 as classified in Australia and 22 as classified in the United States.

Alpacas and llamas differ in that alpacas have straight ears and llamas have banana-shaped ears. Aside from these differences, llamas are on average 1-2 feet taller and proportionally bigger than alpacas.

alpaca1cj.jpg

you can also play football and rugby with them.