Bluelight Funding - 2008 (final push)

TheLoveBandit

Indefinite break from BL - contact other admin
Bluelight has historically been fortunate that all funding requirements were met by our generous benefactor. It was his stated intent to fund the site long after his lifetime, but due to the quick onset of his condition, we have been left without any assurance that his estate will provide for us. In order to sustain this site going forward, we are forced to find other funding sources. The breadth and scope of these will continue to evolve, but for now we have instituted a PayPal donation link. We are asking our members (and lurkers) to donate whatever they might be comfortable offering in return for the information and community they have found here. No donation is too small, or too large ;) , and we will continue to add other ways in which you can help us out as we go forward. Thank you for your support.

link---> OUR DONATIONS PAGE <---link​

A few quick FAQs up front:

Where does the money go?
Bluelight has historically been staffed on a volunteer basis - this will not change. All Moderators, Sr. Mods, and Admins give their time freely in an effort to sustain the site and help it thrive. The actual account into which the funds will go is owned and accessed solely by the owner of Bluelight, johnboy. He also owns and operates PillReports.com (shared on our server) and Enlighten.org, two of our sister sites.

Why Paypal?
Because it was the quickest and easiest to implement at this time. We are exploring other avenues to receive donations, and we will post them as they come online.

Why are the donations in Euros?
Our servers are in Europe, and while our member base is global, it simplified bill paying for our account to be set in monies that match the billing we receive. If you live outside of the Euro community, your credit card or account will get charged at whatever the conversion rate is at the time of the transaction. For those wishing to donate specific amounts of money in your own currency, we suggest using a conversion calculator to determine the appropriate euro amount. (For example, currently $10 US ~ 6.53 Euros)

What other funding plans does the site have in mind, and when will they become available?
We have several ideas at work, but to express them here may rush them or cause part of the arrangement to become fouled up if they aren't properly put in place before public access is granted. We have a thread in SUPPORT to encourage member suggestions and an open discussion of opportunities as well as why some ideas may not be pursued. However, all final decisions and implementation will be done by the owner and admin team, released as each plan is finalized. Your patience is appreciated.

02 December 2008 update to the 2008 funding campaign:

We are currently roughly half way to our goal, with a month to go until our annual hosting bill is due. Of the €3,890 donated, more than half has come from sponsored surveys and slightly less than half of that amount from member donations. Thank you!

We need your help now more than ever, everyone! If 300 members were to donate €10, we would breathe easier for another year.

Please donate and help keep our Bluelight going.

<3

PLZ forgive me if i don't have the right to post here, i just want to ask something about donation to BL and don't know where else i can ask for it. My question is simple, if i make a donation does others members of BL will know about it ? I mean, donation are anonymous ? Or i can have something writed on the far left ( where the avatar is ) i don't know if i'm clear, sorry my english is very bad..

Donations are not made public at this time, beroshy. In the future, we may introduce a Donating Member for those who wish to see something like that, or Premium Member or similar in conjunction with added privileges. That is still being discussed and is in the early planning stages, however.

Donations are not made public at this time, beroshy. In the future, we may introduce a Donating Member for those who wish to see something like that, or Premium Member or similar in conjunction with added privileges. That is still being discussed and is in the early planning stages, however.

Ok, thanks for all the infos.

What happens if the amount is not reached in time?

I would donate $10.00 from my paypal but would not like to have my name on record for being on this site and for the past use of drugs and my previous experiences... lol.

I mean, just that my name, address and all my details will be recorded.

Is there a way to donate anonymously or some way where all my details won't be recorded?

I suppose I could use a mates PayPal or CC... hmmmm

Will this place ever be pimped out with ads all over the place if whatever quota you have is not met?

What happens if the amount is not reached in time?

We are currently roughly half way to our goal, with a month to go until our annual hosting bill is due.

I took SA's statement as "If BL doesn't raise the money, than the bill wont be paid". I doubt the host will grant leeway:(.

I think you should consider pop up ads for those herbal shops or similar as people will click on them aslong as you tell them to ;)

This sounds like a good idea. I'm sure it'll make more people consider donating, to get a little something in return like a title or whatever. Anyways hope everything works out.

I am of the opinion that having a "Donating Member" title would be not such a great thing.

It's one thing to have an ex mod noted as "crew" in return for time and dedication put in over (in many cases) years but it just seems that shades of elitism might start to creep in if donations were publicly listed.

Then again, if it helps the site achieve it's annual donation goal maybe it is worthwhile?

I'm surprised it has not been hit already tbh. If I could ask, how many regularly active members are there posting on this site - ballpark?

I LOVE this forum. My brain thanks it, my liver thanks it, my lungs thank it, every damn organ in my body thanks it. And So do the bodies of many around me who have never even heard of bluelight..

VIVA LA BLUELIGHT!!!!!!

Peace,
JJ

:)

I think you should consider pop up ads for those herbal shops or similar as people will click on them aslong as you tell them to ;)

I think we would rather keep BL ad free, which is why there is a final push.

We should all give $10. Even if you're broke, $10 or even $5 is not that much. That's probably how much money we have sitting in our change jars. Considering how much time a lot of us spend here, we have to do our part. Mods & Administrators are already doing their part for free. We don't want annoying ads taking up half the space here. If it helps, giving a donating star to people who donate, would be a good idea. It would motivate people to give.

Everyone donate at least $5 NOW!!

I'm donating my part now and don't want to feel like my $ is going to waste. It took me less than 1 minute to do it.

If u got $ for drugs u got $ to help BL! Everyone do it now !!!

All they need now is about 500 people to give $10. Common people. We don't wan to BL to close.

Last edited:
i threw down, i'm broke as hell but i know i'd just spend it on something stupid anyway... o_O really hope you guys meet your goal, i'll round up my change after i finish xmas shopping and see if i can help out more... i wish i could afford to make a real dent in it but hopefully someone out there with the means, or just enough people who give 5 or 10, will come around in time!

Im having issues using my paypal account it just tells me to add a new credit card.. why doesnt the only one i have work:S?

^Make sure the CC u have is not expired and works, just a suggestion. Maybe e-mail the people at paypal to see what the problem is. I have my bank account attached to paypal cuz I sell stuff on ebay and other sites and that works the best.

..... Payment sent! Please note im a broke piece o' shit but am still willing to pay for a site im on everyday. Its like public television , i would feel guilty if i didnt contribute. Ill be in on the next go-round as well.:)

Bl has educated me about harm prevention since i was a 17 year old know-nothing , know-it-all & just a lurker.

I could never even begin to express my feelings about BL to xtxxtc for this site sent from the gods.....:D
^ hearing about him passing was very sad.:|:!
Heaven only knows how many people have been saved , helped & @ very least entertained by the goofs on this site:) Some of the funniest things ive ever heard in my life has been posted on BL.