Best "Opiate" Songs

listen to Alice in Chains - JUNKHEAD!

its killer.. esp. for us dope fiends.

This is my favorite songs about dope.
The Delinquents
"Pretty Dope Fiend"
[video]https://youtu.be/CBm_DD7Izd4 [/video]

Last edited:
This is an old song and I'm getting to be an old lady (well not that old yet lol)

I am a rock by Simon and garfunkel

If you don't know it Google the lyrics. Beautiful song

^ that's interesting - i'd never considered that interpretation.
Seems to me that listeners tend to project themes - especially drug themes, for some reason - onto songs.
Given the relationship that exists between popular music and intoxicants, i suppose this isn't surprising; and frankly, i think listeners' readings of song lyrics are often as valid as anything intended by the writer.

Was it Lou Reed that said "just because i wrote the song, doesn't mean i know what it means" (or words to that effect?)

^ that's interesting - i'd never considered that interpretation.
Seems to me that listeners tend to project themes - especially drug themes, for some reason - onto songs.
Given the relationship that exists between popular music and intoxicants, i suppose this isn't surprising; and frankly, i think listeners' readings of song lyrics are often as valid as anything intended by the writer.

Was it Lou Reed that said "just because i wrote the song, doesn't mean i know what it means" (or words to that effect?)

I agree with you.

I'm assuming you know that song. Back when I was using Percocet that's what I used it for and that's the feeling I achieved. Numb no feeling. No one could hurt me. I had no reason to cry and I felt no pain

Yeah, it's a good song - i grew up listening to them.
And i have to admit to having had a soft spot for Simon and Garfunkel when i was using opiates as well.
So dreamy, smooth, melodic. I can totally relate to that :)

I remember listening to their song "at the zoo" on acid once as well, and the melody and texture of the music and vocal harmonies really blew my mind. Haha

Ok so seriously I wasn't even stoned one night and I listened to Title Fight's album Hyperview and it made me feel the same as if I was. Seriouuussllyyy check this out. I made an account just to post this... You won't regret it.

For a light 3 minute pop song, neither drug anthem nor cautionary tale, the Lemonheads' "Drug Buddy" (It's A Shame About Ray, 1992) provides a briefly but vividly sketched anecdote of junkie life, the sort of thing where, IMO anyway, if you've been there, you are instantly taken in, but yet the haunting refrain of "I'm too much with myself ... I wanna be someone else ..." leads the mind to the darker side of the life.

Absolutely - that's a classic, SKL.
I love Juliana Hatfield's vocals as well. Great track.

^ another Velvets fan, welcome.

'Sweet Nothing,' in fact, is a pretty good opiate song, musically and, although less explicitly, the case could be made that it's present in the lyrics too ....

Grateful Dead - Help on the Way ... for when your nose is running, but you have the stuff to make it all better in your hand (but not in your vein, yet).
The Black Crowes - Remedy
I'll post some more as the occurr.

Anything by Pity Sex really.

[video=youtube_share;A7qhrdOxaRc]http://youtu.be/A7qhrdOxaRc[/video]

[video=youtube_share;XC3r3Jc44LQ]http://youtu.be/XC3r3Jc44LQ[/video]

Last edited: