• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Are video games getting too easy?

Anyway, as to the original topic. Lately a lot of games lean towards the "cinematic" experience. You're just running from point A to B with a few things to interact with in between then the story advances with a movie or discussion or whatever.
Spot on. This is the reason why this thread exists.

I think the general drive towards realism in games has naturally merged the film and gaming genres. People want an 'experience' and so making it difficult is a bit like telling someone they can't watch the rest of the film unless they pass an exam.

What amazed me was that i was still stuck on some of the same parts(if anyone remembers the racing levels in battletoads).

Damn dude, that's some shit, because I remember playing that game as a kid and always getting stuck on that same part! I had only borrowed the game from a friend so I never did beat it.

You are spot on when you say video games are getting easier. Like Kul69 said, most games these days are just running from one point to another, not doing too much of anything and watching movies and cut scenes to move the story along.

The perfect example of this is that Fable 2 game. Not only was it easy as hell since you technically can't die and have unlimited magic, but every objective was just running along from point to point while doing a bit of fighting along the way. At the end, you don't even have to fight the final boss, it's just one long ass cut scene to show you how much time of your life you wasted playing this piece of shit.

Another example is Gears of War 2. Now, maybe I'm just buggin' out, but the original Gears was ten times harder than this load of crap. The only saving grace for this game is the multiplayer, which takes forever to get into a game.

There are still plenty of games out there that offer a stiff challenge, but I believe most games these days are easier compared to the games of yesteryear.

I have to disagree with BeatleBot. I think it is an accomplishment, albeit a minor one.

It doesn't matter what you're doing, if you work hard and FINALLY accomplish that goal, it feels great. You're not gonna brag about it, it's kinda you're own little thing.

I remember a lot of the difficulty of old NES games was the shitty controls, or that fact that one hit killed you, the old games played a lot like arcade games (I guess a lot of them if not all of them were arcade ports), so they had that built in difficulty to keep you pumping in coins (or time). Todays games by and large aren't built for the arcade so the goal isn't to keep you playing as long as possible. I think the changing market philosophy behind games has changed drastically. These days if a game is too hard people give up and move on to one of the other million games available. Somtimes I miss the simplicity and stupid fun of some of the old 80s and early 90s games.