• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What are you learning about these days?

I'm relearning how to play my flute.

And I'm learning and re-learning CRITCAL THINKING over and over again...

I'm relearning how to play my flute.

That's great hun!! My mum has my flute, she plays as well. Every now and then when I'm over there I'll pick it up and have a play. I'm pretty rusty but it sounds okay :D
How long have you been playing for?

That's great hun!! My mum has my flute, she plays as well. Every now and then when I'm over there I'll pick it up and have a play. I'm pretty rusty but it sounds okay :D
How long have you been playing for?
Since the 6th grade man! :) Gotta love school band.

In philosophy -

Learning about Habermas' theories on the public sphere n trying to link them in to modern politics and the state etc....

Various philosophy of art stuff, Danto etc

Sociology -

Trying to write an essay on ecofeminism, gender and the environment, which is quite interesting as an area to ramble about! Not done fuck all work though, need to get reeet into it.

Should do some reading up on critical theory too, either doing an essay on Marcuse or the Frankfurt school or possibly will have to get learnin' about the Will to Power and Foucault (links in with my philosophy so might be helpful).

I have a fucking shitload to write in 5 different essays. :( :|

I)I"Perfecting my Cebuano (Bisaya language, of the Philippines, predominant language on the eastern half of Mindinao and the Visayan Island chain to the north)." I speak it passably but wish to speak as fluently as possible. I also want to learn
Higaon-an, a small tribal language of the same named tribe, on Mindinao.

II) "Goat Husbandry." I am initiating a new business venture, the exporting of goats to Brunei, Malaysia and Indonesia.

III) "Synthesis of 7-Hydroxy Mitragynine." I am hoping to expand on another business venture, my wholesale distribution of "Kratom" leaf. 7-Hydroxy is an alkaloid in miniscule concentrations (.10 to .25% of content) and a true opioid (as opposed to reast of the plant's alakloids, which are analgesic indoles).

My main goal in this endeavour is to find a simple route that can be effected at little cost for mass production. SE Asia, despite its proximity to major opium production, has a dearth of opiates/opioids so that many poor people are dying and otherwise suffering in horrible pain (morphine is very rare in the Philippines and only the wealthy can afford it when they can even find it).

IV) "Pre-Hispanic Philippine History." I am fascinated with how prolonged contact with Europeans has shaped the various tribes and ethnic groups in the Philippines. It is also a bit subjective because I plan on having children with a Filipina and wish to be able to edcuate these children about both heritages (their mom's and mine).

V) "Talmud-Torah." I always study Scripture. Although I am far from "Observant," I was raised very traditionally and have found that my Jewish Education has been my best asset thus far.

(Edited for spelling)

Last edited:
I continue to study history, now the pendulum is swinging more toward medieval Europe and a survey of Balkan history.

Basically, now that I have a more-or-less complete and reliable world-map in my head, I am trying to create a very basic chronology to apply to this map.

Thus my current focus is to build a "timeline" of widely-accepted events and personalities (generally between Alexander's death and up until the 16th century, for now, glossing over the the period until circa 3rd c. CE), without focusing too much on the nitty-gritty of their interpretations or the meta-historical analyses just yet. Basically, I am reviving what I should have learnt back in school but, like most kids, have forgotten ;)

I am also learning how to set up a bibliographic database online. This may become of some relevance to some BLers when it goes into motion!

What am I not learning about?

Maybe I am learning something about YOU.

^ I'm sorry. :)

These days, I'm learning a ton about yoga. I'll be certified to teach it in a week and a half. Still doing flute, still playing with chemistry, and also learning some high business mumbo jumbo, modelling (sci/eng stuff, not Zoolander style) and vegan nutrition (with an ayurevedic twist).

Learning = fun!

love reading these!

i'm up to nothing that cool:

organic chemistry...yum =9

physics...ew

spanish literature...si!

yoga...love it and love my cute tiny teacher

olympic lifting...ahhHHH so hard bc i have no hand eye coordination to speak of and i'm a spaz

traditional nutrition ala weston a price/nourishing traditions

how to give my kombucha a nice fizz

I'm doing a double degree in Law/Arts, and I love my Arts major: Sociology. I'm second year, and it's getting really interesting. My subject I just finished this semester was on making modern identities, and we covered shit like the Mcdonalidization of society, human secularisation, racism, meritocracy etc. It was fascinating.

I'm working on my Taiwan Mandarin.
Cuz that's where I'm from. Moved to the states when I was little so now I have the vocabulary of a 6 year old.

And, mindfulness. Helps with anxiety! Which I do get pretty bad sometimes. But practicing some basic mindfulness, while hard for me, distracts me into thinking about what I'm doing NOW instead of letting me think of all the shit that's freaking me out that might not even happen.

I am always reading about security exploits to computers Via software, virus, trojans, spy/malware, backdoors, keyloggers and other things a computer network engineer would like to read

I've learned how therapeutic it can be to just g
Code:
[CODE]
[/CODE]o for a long walk, or a hike. Also I have learned how much it helps to talk to random people when stressed. Also, if your gut tells you not to trust someones, listen to it.

cutecute: kombucha = win! If you've got sturdy bottles (I used Grolsch-style homebrew beer bottles), just add a couple of drops of sugar solution (syrup, nectar or what not) after bottling, and let it sit for a couple more days. Not only will it be delightfully fizzy, but the organisms will be healthy and happy when you drink them. Just don't let them sit for too long-- if they stay anaerobic past a certain point, you might run the risk of 'other' metabolic products. More ethanol at the very least, and weird higher alcohols/other junk at worst, depending on the exact nature of your strain.

I had forgotten to add: I'm learning about homebrewing beer. I started off with Kombucha, and made a successful Bavarian ale (from a kit the first time around) in spring. My home is a disaster zone right now, but once I have that sorted I'm going to play with an IPA kit, and start researching a nice autumn beer to brew from scratch. Mmmmm.

cutecute: kombucha = win! If you've got sturdy bottles (I used Grolsch-style homebrew beer bottles), just add a couple of drops of sugar solution (syrup, nectar or what not) after bottling, and let it sit for a couple more days. Not only will it be delightfully fizzy, but the organisms will be healthy and happy when you drink them. Just don't let them sit for too long-- if they stay anaerobic past a certain point, you might run the risk of 'other' metabolic products. More ethanol at the very least, and weird higher alcohols/other junk at worst, depending on the exact nature of your strain.

I had forgotten to add: I'm learning about homebrewing beer. I started off with Kombucha, and made a successful Bavarian ale (from a kit the first time around) in spring. My home is a disaster zone right now, but once I have that sorted I'm going to play with an IPA kit, and start researching a nice autumn beer to brew from scratch. Mmmmm.

Thanks Dave! I already do the secondary bottling using reused glass bottles, using fruit, combined with a bit of sugar if it's not a sugary type of fruit. The flavors you can make with fruit/herbs/spices are incredible. My kombucha is pretty fizzy but nothing that would explode if you open it. I continuously brew so I'm trying to adjust using some of this stuff.

And congrats on your brewing, some of the best brews I've tasted have been from my friends' experiments.