• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What are you learning about these days?

Interesting thread...such varying interests you all have!

I have been learning about the subjective effects of the many psychedelic compounds for a number of years, and to a lesser degree, the chemistry of these substances (my boyfriend is more the expert in that area). I'm also interested in holistic medicines (right now I'm focusing on plant essential oils), growing plants & vegetables, self-sustainability, DMT extraction, psilocybin mushroom growing, quantum physics, Cultures of various times and places of the world, 2012 and the theories of things that may happen in the coming years, outdoorsy stuff (I live in the Canadian Rockies - lots to learn)....yeah...I'm all over the place.

Contracts that deal with the selling of goods (UCC) vs. Contracts that deal with services (Common Law) vs. Contracts that deal with International Trade (CISG). :|

Just recently learning Russian. I'm finally getting a good handle of the Cyrillic alphabet.

^ I found the Cyrillic alphabet incredibly easy to learn (compared to other non-roman alphabets I had/tried to learn). It may seem difficult at first, but just practice reading a few words everyday for a week and you should have it down pat.

Math, math, and more math.

I'm finally done with my semester form hell. My graduate apps are almost finished, all the finals that matter to me are over, and the long winter break is ahead. I also somehow got an A in my graduate alegbra course.

I'm going to graduate school next fall the get my doctorate in Mathematics. So much to learn but damn is it fun. I look forward to devoting my life to those wonderful little questions that have nothing to do with the physical world.

Now that finals are over I'm learning how to get drunk regularly and actually have a life again. It's a steep learning curve.

my obsession currently has been all things modern design, mainly furniture design. im not sure if i have said that yet.

i am soon going to be looking into some history, such as the interactions b/t turkic and germanic tribes in the early middle ages and the history of malta. thanks again jam for the suggestions. :)

In medicine there is etiology and pathogenesis, there is a distinction, I get squared away on the distinction sometimes but it never sticks.

The etiology is the ultimate cause of the disease or dysfunction. The pathogenesis is the mechanism by which the etiology leads to the disease. Think of it this way: say somebody gets buried under an avalanche. The guy yodeling too loudly is the etiology. The longitudinal sound waves disturbing the delicate balance of snow on the hill, causing it to cascade down and bury the guy is the pathogenesis. The burial itself is the disease.

Enki said:
Similarly there is a real difference between hermeneutics and exegesis. I have looked up which is which a couple dozen times.

Hermeneutics, as I understand it, is meta-exegesis. It's the interpretation of textual interpretation. Or, one can think of it as the development or analysis of a rubric or methodology for interpreting a religious, philosophical, or literary (usually mythological) text.

Exegesis is the interpretive act itself. One can practice exegesis without practicing hermeneutics, but the results are likely to be hit-or-miss, without the socio-contextual grounding that hermeneutics provides. 'Authorial intent' is a popular phrase nowadays in hermeneutics and literary theory, I've found; scholars argue that attempting to piece together the life and likely mindset of the probable author sheds much light on what he was trying to say.

Enki said:
I really have no idea what producers do in movies a television.

The producer is a businessman, plain and simple. Due to the high-risk-high-return nature of investing in entertainment, you'll find most media producers are extremely GOOD businessmen, who are utterly cold in their assessment of gigs pitched to them -- either they'll sell, or they won't, and if they won't, GTFO of my office, because time is money! In some countries media producers commonly have ties to organized crime, either to borrow the money they need, and/or to squirrel away the money they make from the taxman.

A writer (or writer-director) pitching a script to a producer is one of the most extreme examples you'll find of a tense encounter between a dreamer and a realist.

Last edited:
^ Hmm, my understanding of Hermeneutics is slightly different, at least the way I understood it in my Comparative Literature classes (unless I misunderstood you).

Simply put, an exegesis is a critical analysis of a single work (or a single author, although I hesitate to say that).

Hermeneutics is the critical analysis of several texts and authors to come up with common themes, common differences, patterns, archetypes...etc. I don't think this is what you meant to say, or is it?

-----

My learning subjects have shifted a little.

(In order of intensity):

- In-depth travel-research for SE Asia and the Indian Subcontinent
- Gemology and Gemlore/crystal healing (the latter of which I'm already sick of)
- History in general, with focus on American history.
- Languages: Thai, French, Swahili (for shits and giggles). The others seem to have taken a break.
- Representations of (plagiarized ;)) mythology in SE Asian art and Architecture, especially Burmese.
- Tea: Classification, history, brewing techniques
- Body cleansing products and light cosmetics =D (I know already that this will be dropped in a few days)

-----

JV: Always a pleasure to help, I'm so happy to hear that you've found my info useful. Don't hesitate to contact me again any time :).

I wanna revive this thread as I've been enjoying following the replies intently.

My interests have changed somewhat... here is what I've been learning about recently (in order of most to least intensity).

- Travel literature and practicalities - contemporary and historical
- Gemmology (of course) and beadwork
- History and Politics (focusing on the Mediterranean, USSR, and silk road)
- Languages (Portuguese, French, Thai, Hindi - at differing paces in that order)
- Antiques - especially rugs and silk, as well as their restoration.

In a couple of weeks I'm starting a diploma in Health Counselling.
It'll be great to start studying again, very much looking forward to it :)

chemistry, biology, mathematics, literary analysis, war, history, music, society and social relationships.

pursuing my interest in the culinary arts pretty strongly; having worked in restaurants for the past few years on and off, i am finally taking Culinary Courses at school. taking courses in a field of interest has really helped me to become motivated. anyone else cook around here?

also have a huge amount of interest in other cultures and am trying to find a way to travel in the near future. . .

always trying to learn more in other realms as well

justinw: "Just recently learning Russian. I'm finally getting a good handle of the Cyrillic alphabet. " - i studied russian for two years and unfortunately barely remember any of it; wish i had applied myself a bit more. i loved the alphabet though and found it surprisingly easy to pick up. i think i still know it. . .

Hi-speed-internet mechanics and how to fix their many problems.

The Thai language (baffling, and I'm a polyglot who majored in Linguistics for 2 years).

Also immersing myself in in-depth study of Zen and Tibetan Buddhism. I'm thinking of joining a Buddhist monastery in Thailand in a couple years. Need to get away from this world for a while.

Oh, and also, perfecting the perfect ayahuasca recipe (for me). :)

biopsychological theories of addiction

and I'm also independently working on a reductio against Nagel's conception of objectivity

I've been less interested in absorbing new information than working through what I've learned thus far.

I've been thinking a fair bit about my regular social interactions, at work and at play....been trying to rethink my approach to various difficult situations....been trying my hardest to practice more positive and effective strategies in my interpersonal life.

And I think I have been making progress, one baby step at a time.

:)

- Criminal Procedure
- Civil Procedure
- Constitutional Law
- Contracts
- Legal Writing and Analysis

I don't really have time for anything else. I spend too much time on bluelight. :\

^ You were supposed to send me info on that Plimseur thing or whatever. Also, what's the deal with your latest plans viv-a-vis LOS? Damn, every post of yours bashes the Thais more and more mercilessly. PM me!

- Criminal Procedure
- Civil Procedure
- Constitutional Law
- Contracts
- Legal Writing and Analysis

I suppose it can be assumed you are in law school? ;)

I got accepted and almost went to law school a few years back. Thank god I decided against it. I would be fucking miserable now if I had, I'm pretty sure. :\