• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Simplest molecule filling morphine rule?

Scratch my last comment, I made it even simpler...

simplest.png

Btw, this one looks really cool in 3d...

What on earth?? Stability much??

Hehehe... I'm not saying it would be stabile. I was just playing with the idea of making the most simple (least atoms) molecule... in theory.

Now the real challenge is for one of you chemists to make this chemical...

I would generally say that the 4 hexane/benzene rings that morphine has is optimal for receptor binding, tons of hydrophobic interactions for induced fit into the active site... and also as it is well known that modifying those 2 hydroxyl groups on morphine to something more lipophylic (i.e. acetyl groups [heroin]) increases the Km value for binding

Well mates if what we're doing here is simply "playing with words" then i guess my molecule is a winner:

"Wattafakamine" (C7HN)

wattafakamine.jpg

It has an aromatic benzene ring (red)
It has a quaternary carbon (green)
It has a tertiary amine (blue)
And finnally
It has a 2 carbon chain (yellow) between the amine and the quaternary carbon (never said it had to be an unbranched saturated alkane :p)

:D :D :D

we have a winner!

although, if anyone could ever make such a chemical, the benzene would be so twisted it would probably lose it's aromaticity...

blaaha.gif

Last edited:
It wouldn't be stable, it'd break before the benzene would twist, I believe. Nay?

Perhaps it could be stable if kept in absolute zero temperature?

in theory...

Scratch my last comment, I made it even simpler...

simplest.png

Btw, this one looks really cool in 3d...

As a chemist, this is an interesting compound though pretty much impossible to make. Tetrahedrane (C4H4) is a theorectical compound that possesses extreme angle strain. But, a derivative with tert-butyl group at each apex has actually been synthesized!

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrahedrane

As far as simple opiates.....Levorphanol

I know extremely little about chemistry, nigh nil, but reading about 'nanoparticles', could those somehow potentially make things work in ways that a 'regular' size particle in a molecule wouldn't normally: to make something usually unstable, stable?

Sorry, but the last couple of structure suggestions are plain nonsense. No use talking about 'the smallest molecule filling the morphine rule' if the suggestion are totally devoid of any chemical significance.

This thread is turning towards insignificance.

- Murphy

Sorry, but the last couple of structure suggestions are plain nonsense. No use talking about 'the smallest molecule filling the morphine rule' if the suggestion are totally devoid of any chemical significance.

This thread is turning towards insignificance.

- Murphy

Agreed in terms of opiate activity, no chance!

Well a little brain-storming is usually a good thing,and some practice in mental flexability also!
Who knows what comes out ;)

Though not especially simple, this one in interesting (known as ethoheptazine). It sort of looks like a DRI (like MPH):

200px-Ethoheptazine.png

No pethedine has a piperidine ring at it's heart. Add a carbon atom into the ring & you get ethoheptazine

Why not just say "looks like a pethidine with a 1 carbon larger heterocycle"

it would leave no room for confusion ;)

it's a schedule 5 drug, while proheptazine is c-I. I wonder if it has
appreciable DAT affinity.