• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Trouble selecting a major....

LiLc

Ex-Bluelighter
Im bout' to start college in January, i will be taking a business administration course but im having trouble declaring my major what i really want to do is open my own restaurant one day as well as venture out into many other smalls business oportunities im thinking hospitality might be the way to go but its not going to show me the ins and outs of business law and everything else related to business do you guys think this is the best road to take?

Do you HAVE to choose a major right now? As this is your first semester in college, I would get through your first semester (or even a year) before formally deciding your major, if possible.

FWIW, I've changed mine three times. Music performance/education to chemistry and now geology.

No I don't have to choose my major right now, but it would be nice to know what im going to focus on.

Personally, I'd finish your first semester, and then decide in the summer. You've already registered for your classes, correct?

Im starting in Jan. also. I was actually thinking about taking the Hotel/Hospitality route. But after re-analyzing Im going to major in Dietetics with a minor in Community.

I think you should probably focus on small business ownership as opposed to Hotel/Hospitality mgt.

I register for my class's on the 9th and they say try to have a idea of the major you would like to pursue.

ahhh. have you spoke to an advisor about what you would like to do or maybe have them help you?

Yes i did, its not a traditional college that you might be thinking of though they're more hands on with there students and don't get 100's of students coming to them a day, i thought i told you awhile back that it was DeVry I'm going to not DePaul lol.

Yes i did, its not a traditional college that you might be thinking of though they're more hands on with there students and don't get 100's of students coming to them a day, i thought i told you awhile back that it was DeVry I'm going to not DePaul lol.

i know, but surely they have advisors there that can help you. i mean, you can always choose a major and change it later, if you want. but, if you do that, that's why i suggested speaking to an advisor simply because there may be a little overlap in required courses, which will help should you decide to switch.

I register for my class's on the 9th and they say try to have a idea of the major you would like to pursue.

Cool, what school? is it in chicago?

Probably Harper College in Palatine. I actually took a few classes @ Devry & quit because i changed my desired career path away from Computers.

its cool i liked the campus & everything. But its not an accredited school & they lied & told me it was. & its a definite sausage fest.....but thats not why youre there anyway......

lol thats funny, it most def is a accredited school according to the illinois board of education.

Take a few courses from everything your interested and choose your major later based on what you like.

so many kids predetermin there major select all their courses for that major get to school hate their chosen major and quit.

lol thats funny, it most def is a accredited school according to the illinois board of education.

Really? A financial aid goon @ Harper told me Devry isnt accredited & im sure they wouldnt lie just to get me to sign up.. 8) -lol

^ (SARCASM)

^ naw i was gonna go to Harper anyway because like i said , im shifting my interests towards Dietetics & helping my community & other communities.