• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Healthy nails

delta_9

Bluelighter
Quick question, what kind of supplements can aid in nail growth or just generaly healthy nails?

i know fish oil helps strengthen hair and nails which helps them grow faster. there are also clear nail polishes made to help nails grow faster.

Well, I have some Natrol "skin, hair, nails" but it has a lot of vits and stuff I already get in my daily multivitamin, so I guess I'd rather just isolate exactly what in these pills is for nails.
I definately have bottles of fish oil though.

Many different deficiencies can affect nail health. The sulpher based amino acids cysteine and methionine are nail builders. Biotin and MSM are also often mentioned for positive effects on nails. I took MSM for other reasons and noticed stronger nails.

Oddly enough, I've had better luck kicking my dope habit than kicking my nail biting one.

Although if heroin grew in endless abundance on my fingertips, I'd be rightly fucked. *drools*

For your nails to be healthy your diet should include a lot of fruits and raw vegetables so that they get the required vitamins, minerals and enzymes. Eat food that is rich in silicon like broccoli, fish and onions. Eat foods rich in biotins like whole grains. Drink plenty of water and other fruit juices. Food rich in zinc and vitamin B will strengthen your nails. Fresh carrot juice rich in calcium and phosphorous is perfect for strengthening nails. In addition remember the following things:

* Lack of vitamin A and calcium in your body causes dryness and brittleness.
* Lack of protein, folic acid and vitamin C causes hangnails.
* White bands across the nails are a result of protein deficiency.
* A lack of sufficient hydrochloric acid can cause splitting nails.
* Lack of vitamin B12 can lead to dryness, very rounded and curved ends and darkening of nails.
* Insufficient zinc can cause development of white spots on the nails.
* Cuts and cracks in the nails may indicate a need for more liquids.
* Red skin around your cuticles can be caused by poor metabolism of essential fatty acids.

Perpetual Indulgence said:
White bands across the nails are a result of protein deficiency.
White bands can also indicate heavy metal poisoning or other problems, banding in the nails should be pointed out to a physician or other competent health care professional.

Knox Gelatin packets, in hot water or tea (as directed) I know a couple of people (my Mom and a female friend specifically) who corrected brittle nails using this method...it may be animal by product, not sure (for the vegetarians) but it may be worth the research (or try)...