• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

methadone not working as strong

wildman713

Greenlighter
hello ,i have been on methadone for 5 weeks, i keep having to mave up on the dosage. i started at 30mg now at 75mg. will i allways have to keep moving up to feel as good as i did the first week?? is there anything i can take to increase euphoric feeling?? like drinking white grape fruit and taking tagement helps hydrocodone work better................so is there anything for methadone?? because i dont want to keep moving up on dosage.8)

The first week or 10 days of methadone were relatively euphoric for me... And when I'd mix it with a small dose of clonazepam, I'd totally get the nods and would feel great. But again, this was only during the first 7 or 10 day or so. After that, my 60mg dose merely kept me from feeling any withdrawal. I never quite figured out how to make that same 60mg dose provide any noticeable degree of "positive side-effects."

It's tolerance. The only thing you can do is keep bumping up the dose, or try and use DXM to keep the tolerance at bay a little, or take a break.

^
good point , when the day has come you will want to get clean it will bite you in the ass , and of course at a certain point you won't be able to up your dose anymore , so best thing to do to feel good is taper down , take breaks and then double or triple dose , but then expect to feel normal the day after if you can't consider suboxxone it's a good med cause it won't make you feel high it will make you feel good if you catch my drift

well i dont want to take any benzos, i here of deaths when mixed with illegal substances, i just was looking for something that would block the chemicals in my body that break down and push the methadone out of my body. ya know what im sayen?????

-Tagamet and Grapefruit Juice, as suggested by others can make Methadone last longer, but in my experience it doesn't make the effects stronger.
-Cat's Claw is an OTCsupplement that is said to be a good Methadone potentiator.
-DXM helps preventing tolerance and prevent addiction. Use ~60mg/day.
-antihistamines such as Diphenhydramine or Promethazine can really intensify Methadone, if you like to nod and watch TV...

The other options are other drugs, such as benzos... And I cannot advise you on this forum to take benzos with your Methadone....

will i allways have to keep moving up to feel as good as i did the first week??

It is very common to increase the Methadone dosages during the first weeks, to reach the level where you feel NORMAL.

But know that the 1st week on Methadone is for many a special weeks, many persons (especially when you start at 40-60mg) experience pleasure and euphoria during this first "honeymoon" week on Methadone.

It would be a step back to increase the dosages until you reach the euphoria of the beginning again.
You have to forget this (seeking that way to get pleasure and relief) if you want to successfully get off Opiates or live happily on Methadone Maintenance (that's why you're on Methadone, or is there another reason?)

Last edited:
your just going to have to accept that tolerance is inevitable and decreases in euphoria and your feeling of well being will decrease with that and theres not a whole lot you can do about it:\

^
exactly , it's not natural to feel euphoric all the time and pretty much impossible , try working out really makes you feel better (and higher imo natural endorphin rush) if you want to feel euphoric find a nice girl to fall in love with

well im getting off-topic here but you get the point

yea, i get your drift guys, thanx, helpful as usual my friends. i think ima be alright . i have accepted the fact that i wont feel euphoric all day every day. i am on methadone for opiate addiction . i am going to take it as prescribed, accept 4 on saturdays. on sat ima take extra 10 mg out of take home and have some me time.lol, yall be safe, peace

Fucking with your take homes can make things much, much worse. Plus, upping the dose like that won't make it anymore euphoric. After a point, even dose increases do not make a difference in how it 'feels'. The point is to get to a dose where you no longer crave opioids for 24 hours. Taking your morning dose on an empty stomach is a good way to get a slight warmth from your daily dose. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

It's tolerance. The only thing you can do is keep bumping up the dose, or try and use DXM to keep the tolerance at bay a little, or take a break.

I'd be very wary about using DXM to keep the tolerance at bay, just because methadone has NMDA antagonist properties much like DXM, and I could imagine some pretty weird stuff happening mentally when combining the two. Even if you kept the dose of DXM pretty small, combining it daily with methadone could potentially lead to some bizarre dissociative-esque cognitive processes, or worse.

If you must potentiate, I'd go with tagamet or grapefruit juice. But even then, you might end up building tolerance to the euphoria of methadone pretty quickly. Most people I know who have been in methadone maintenance programs tell me that after 1-3 weeks, their daily dose might give them alot of the "high" type effects of opiates, but without the euphoria...they informed me that this wasn't a very pleasant feeling.

yea, ever since i started taking it i got a lil cough, so i take robotussion dm max non drowsey w/out alcohol. prolly the weed i smoke making me cough too. i tried to cut back, it helps methadone work actually(the bud)

Most people have a misconception that all opaites/opioids offer the same physical and psychoactive feects. Methadone of course does not, it is not a euphoric opiate/opioid but to each their own.

Increasing your dosage WILL increase physical and psychoactive effects TO A POINT. Once you climb above a certain threshold though it really makes no difference. Then there is the dual issue of major tolerance which will adversely effect you in the long term per other opiates/opioid usage if and when you abstain from methadone. So carefully consider your choices.

Dxm

Ive been on methadone for a while I can can definately say 100% hands down the best potentiator without a doubt for methadone is DXM. Its rediculous how it increases the euphoria, and high. The best way to do it is to have a 2nd plateau trip the night before your dose, and when you are in that come down shitty feeling mode, dose your methadone. You will start feeling hardcore opiate activity. The first time I did it, I felt a rushing oxymorphone like feeling nearly the whole day.. Another good potentiator is Coricden Cold and Cough.. Not that much tho... Take about 3 of them (90mg dxm) a half hour before your meth dose and youll be floating. Always use hydroxyzine, and cimetidine.
I cant believe I havent read more supporting dxm potentiating methadone on the internet. It works every single time and for the better. Some times the euphoria is so intense I wonder why the whole world doesnt know about this. .Enjoy and be careful.
ps- clonazepam goes fantastic with methadone.
sp0r
8o8o8o8o8o8o8o

Orly?

^^ Thats what I hear but for some reason I believe it is urban legend. There are so many much more dangerous drugs that interact with methaedone, while the benzo-methadone interaction is mostly listed as mild to moderate. I take upwards of 10 klonopin + a day and if anything it wakes me out of the fog a little. Anyways some of the drugs that have sever reactions are trycyclics
like sinequan and chlorpromethazine. Here is the problems that can occur:
methadone and doxepin (Major Drug-Drug)
MONITOR CLOSELY: Methadone may cause dose-related prolongation of the QT interval. Coadministration with other agents that can prolong the QT interval may result in elevated risk of ventricular arrhythmias, including ventricular tachycardia and torsade de pointes, because of additive arrhythmogenic potential related to their effects on cardiac conduction. High dosages of methadone alone have been associated with QT interval prolongation and torsade de pointes. In a retrospective study of 17 methadone-treated patients who developed torsade de pointes, the mean daily dose was approximately 400 mg (range 65 to 1000 mg) and the mean corrected QT (QTc) interval on presentation was 615 msec. The daily methadone dose correlated positively with the QTc interval. Fourteen patients had at least one predisposing risk factor for arrhythmia (hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia, concomitant use of a medication known to prolong the QT interval or inhibit the metabolism of methadone, and structural heart disease), but these were not predictive of QTc interval. It is not known if any of the patients had congenital long QT syndrome.

MANAGEMENT: Caution is recommended when methadone is administered concomitantly with drugs that prolong the QT interval, particularly in the setting of chronic pain management or methadone maintenance for opioid dependency where high dosages may be employed, or if administered to patients with underlying risk factors. Patients should be advised to seek medical attention if they experience symptoms that could indicate the occurrence of torsade de pointes such as dizziness, palpitations, or syncope. If taking drugs that also cause central nervous system and/or hypotensive effects (e.g., psychotropic drugs like tricyclic antidepressants, phenothiazines, and neuroleptics), patients should be made aware of the possibility of additive effects with methadone and counseled to avoid activities requiring mental alertness until they know how these agents affect them.

Benzos however just add to cns depression wchih can be done by drugs like alcohol, diphenhydramine, and well just about anything. Here is the warning you would get for mixing with klonopin:
methadone and clonazepam (Moderate Drug-Drug)
MONITOR: Central nervous system- and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased in patients taking multiple drugs that cause these effects, especially in elderly or debilitated patients.

MANAGEMENT: During concomitant use of these drugs, patients should be monitored for potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring complete mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

A great page to check for drug interactions is here http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

Also I would just like to poinot out that a relatively low dose of nyquil has my opiate buzzz zingin. I luve it. Although I promised id never come on meth again because of the withdrawl but thats another subject.

sp0r

hi.........what is dxm? i need something to go with the methadone; been on a large dose for a long time and it doesn't do anything anymore. very bummed..................ps

hi.........what is dxm? i need something to go with the methadone; been on a large dose for a long time and it doesn't do anything anymore. very bummed..................ps

use the search engine. If you need something to potentiate methadone I'd also look up information on DLPA (d,l-phenylalanine), that potentiates methadone pretty well for me.