• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

methadone not working as strong

hi.........what is dxm? i need something to go with the methadone; been on a large dose for a long time and it doesn't do anything anymore. very bummed..................ps

C'mon, how is it easier posting a question in a forum when you can Google it and get an answer in 3 seconds?

Just to add, like Palli mentioned, the combination of Methadone (in the course of MMT maintenance treatment especially) and DXM (Dextromethorphan) results in a potentiation of the DXM, not the Methadone (most likely from additional NMDA Antagonism as Pallidamors mentioned, and possibly Sigma activity).

This could result in a very uncomfortable experience (nausea, hallucinations, etc) compared to what you were expecting.

^
exactly , it's not natural to feel euphoric all the time and pretty much impossible , try working out really makes you feel better (and higher imo natural endorphin rush) IF YOU WANT TO FEEL EUPHORIC FIND A NICE GIRL TO FALL IN LOVE WITH

well im getting off-topic here but you get the point

the bit of the quote i capitals is SO fuckin true ,

i had one girl in my life at one point this year that made me feel better than any drug that could possibly ever be synthesized/grown/wateva

here is an interesting tibit i learned today:

methadone is a fully synthetic opoid whereas bupe is a semi synthetic. i would have thought vice versa since bupe is a partial agonist. knowledge is power (cue sappy music).

I have to add this as someone who has been on methadone since 1999.
I too was like that wanting that buzz and kept taking my dose up as often as possible (after the first 2 weeks it can be difficult at some clinics to get increases unless they do a blood level on ya)

Anyway i got up to 160
Talk about a miserable person when i got off
It was a heck of a fight.

Yea i know ya ain't trying to hear this cause I did not want to either but I had to add it.

Oh and the kicker i got off for 2 years only to be put back on for pain issues
LOL still not feeling that euphoria but i can function again both my back pain and I think mentally too in all honesty

I am adamant though about keeping that dose down this time for just my pain
frankly that was a heck of a fight took me over a year to do a SLOW detox and even then i felt like crap for months.

i been on methadone almost a yr i take 135mg evry morn i tried all the things ppl say like tagament grapefruit juice n all that the only thing i found to amp up the buzz u tryn for is takin more methadone like the 10mg pills like 5 at a time a couple times a day added to my normal daily dose or takin xanax or ativan but i been takin opiates 6yrs solid n my tolerance is crazy high when i dnt have the cash to buy shit other than my maitence dose frm the clinic its bs i dnt even feel my dose anymore but i sure notice when i dnt have it it hurts like hell n im sick as shit so i dnt take my weekend doses all in one day anymore i cant find anyway to make my dose last longer or stronger it sucks so bad i wish it was like when i started taking it all nodding out n shit now nothin unless add more or benzos =# it sucks

Past a certain point, increasing your dose won't even get you buzzed. At my clinic they do 10mg increases (5mg for some). Think about it, when you in thirty milligrams, adding ten mg is like adding a third of your dose, so you get pretty stoned. At forty, it's like adding 1/4th. The higher you go, the additional dosage first off becomes incrementally smaller, and past 90mg, you really don't even feel a difference. Im on 40mg now, and in the last I've been on 100+mg. I get a more euphoric effect at 40 than I ever did at dosages above 70mg, I would even venture to say I get a bit stoned for a few hours in the morning after my dosage, plus, it still holds me for 24 hours. Chasing that initial buzz though is a losing battle. It always is, but especially with Methadone.

^^^^ Yes, it is a losing battle to chase a methadone high. It is like that for everyone. The first month or so is good, but after that you kinda jus level out and feel normal. Especially when you are taking it every day. If you space out your doses more than im sure you could drag it out a bit more, but even still you will eventually jus level out and all the euphoric properties of the drug will basically cease. Oh well its better than feeling like complete shit.

Sorry to bump this old post, but this post is the only one of its kind that hits on the obvious ultimate outcome of potentiating methadone durung MMT. Whether or not GFJ works is inconsequential to the most important point... By potentiating methadone via ANY means is not "enhancing" your high, it's merely just using another medium by which you are inreasing the efficiency and efficacy of the methadone. In other words, all you are doing is slightly upping your dose. And particularly for someone on an MMT, isn't this just futile? One of two things will happen; 1) You will need to eventually ask for another dose increase to mitigate your tolerance level (aka chasing the high), or 2) You've crawled up to such a high dose that you will eventually be denied a dose increase, because the MMT doc believes you are maxed out (in which case, you have keep taking the GFJ (or any other potentiation mediums) until you begin your taper... In which case, all you've essentially done is found a way to make Methadone Maintenance expensive.

-AlanJ

I know it's a just a little late to respond to this thread, but I had to say something about this one. I really hope you didn't chase a methadone high because let me tell you, (and unfortunately I know from experience), that is one of the dumbest things you could have done because, like I had seen some others saying, your never going to be able to get that feeling from when you first began on it. Essentially you are just digging yourself into a deeper and deeper hole that when you finally decide you want to get out of, is going to be a huge pain in the ass. My advice to you would have been to take a few mins to really think about what your doing and hopefully realize how foolish it would be. Hope you didn't keep increasing and hope all is well bro! P.s. Life gets sooo much better when you finally decide enough is enough and get off of all of that crap brotha, again best of luck to you man! Some of the greatest things have happened to me since my dose was lowered to forty and life is great

^^^^ Yes, it is a losing battle to chase a methadone high. It is like that for everyone. The first month or so is good, but after that you kinda jus level out and feel normal. Especially when you are taking it every day. If you space out your doses more than im sure you could drag it out a bit more, but even still you will eventually jus level out and all the euphoric properties of the drug will basically cease. Oh well its better than feeling like complete shit.

I'd be careful with methadone. It can be really tough to quit it.

^
good point , when the day has come you will want to get clean it will bite you in the ass , and of course at a certain point you won't be able to up your dose anymore , so best thing to do to feel good is taper down , take breaks and then double or triple dose , but then expect to feel normal the day after if you can't consider suboxxone it's a good med cause it won't make you feel high it will make you feel good if you catch my drift

Without very specific clarification, this post could kill someone. Mods, can you please remove this, as the advice given here could easily result in overdose to the point of being outright lethal - especially considering the advice is to "double or triple dose" without even specifying how much time between cutting back and massively dosing there "should" be?

Most people have a misconception that all opaites/opioids offer the same physical and psychoactive feects. Methadone of course does not, it is not a euphoric opiate/opioid but to each their own.

Increasing your dosage WILL increase physical and psychoactive effects TO A POINT. Once you climb above a certain threshold though it really makes no difference. Then there is the dual issue of major tolerance which will adversely effect you in the long term per other opiates/opioid usage if and when you abstain from methadone. So carefully consider your choices.

Yeah, this is just blatantly false, in case anybody is still interested.

The only way that you can maintain any sort of continual euphoria from methadone is to not raise your dose higher and higher but to instead keep yourself at 40mg or less. IIMEmy body metabolizes enough of the methadone in my system over a 24 hour time period that when I'd dose I'd feel a noticeable boost of eenergy and I'd be all talkative. Don't mistake me, its not gonna be like a shot of heroin but IT'S satisfying. Only issue is that 40mg and under is usually not enough to hold someone with a real habit 24 hours.