• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Looking For Philosophy Books

In The Open

Greenlighter
I've been interested in philosophy for a little while now, and now I'd like to get some books on it.

A friend linked me to this article:

http://deoxy.org/egofalse.htm

And I thought it was really interesting. I tried searching for the book it's from but it's realllyyy hard to get.

I enjoyed this too:

http://deoxy.org/w_nature.htm

I thought I'd link those just to show you the type of stuff I'd be interested in reading.

So yea, any suggestions would be great, thanks :)

Philosophy is embarassing to me. Im self studied. Im confident in too. You ought to buy L. Ron Hubbard books. The vocabulary is inclusive.

Yea I mean you would'nt mind ( if noone is looking) could I shove my penis in your mouf'

Last edited:
You see, I made a parallel, or used the metaphor. Something simular to that polished question "if a tree falls and noone is around does it make a noise"

I also used LRH technolgy and saved myself time and stress.
I know that you and yours are still struggling and trying to manage a few words about effort.

Last edited:
^ Philosophy explores different ways in which to frame existence and the ways in which they evolve from previous writings. Scientology imposes a fixed frame, so why suggest that in the first place if you're not flagrantly prosthetylising your cult?

I'd suggest Sophie's World

All that ever EVER needs to be said about Scientology is this quote by Ron L. Hubbard himself:

"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion. "

Now think about how many times you have to give money to Scientology in order to receive "guidance". What a joke.

hey guise!
It might be more useful to talk about the original topic here.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values (Robert M. Pirsig)

I was a philosophy major during undergrad and have a library full of books...u can come hang out with me

will try to think of something soon...

To echo: Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is amazing.

The problem with reading philosophy is that some of the "best" philosophers are terrible writers. I'd recommend Thus Spoke Zarathustra and Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche. He's only one philosopher, so you won't get the broadest view of philosophy from just that, but he's one of the more readable and engaging philosophers you'll find.

As far as I can tell, you appear to be interested in metaphysics and philosophy of mind. The work that has influenced me the most is

Experience and Nature -- John Dewey. This is poorly written, but the ideas are great.

I'd also look at the Dao De Jing by Lao Tzu (sorry...don't have a rec' for a translation).

ebola

imho the best way to approach philosophy is to recognize which era sophists belonged to and begin at the start. when you work your way through the ages you see clearly where the influences originated from and have a framework for your own ideas. you can also plot themes you want to follow so that you read mostly about what interests you once you've digested the classical texts.

having said that, i consider primers on presocratics a nice starting point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presocratics

I prefer the 5-Gospels of Jesus-Christ, the Logos/logic (includes Thomas).
Jesus (if he existed) was a radical revolutionary, wonderful guru!
The so-called "miracles" were all metaphores . . . he didn't really walk on water and it is ur faith (in logos/logic) that makes U whole (saved).

This is a list of usual suspects:

David Hume - A Treatise of Human Nature and An Enquiry Concerning the Principal of Human Understanding.

Immanuel Kant - A Critique of Pure Reason and A Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Morality.

Martin Heidegger - Being and Time and Time and Being (there is much posthumous scholarship on his works if you are interested in him).

Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel - I do not have any specific works of his that come to mind.

Ayn Rand - An Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology; she has many other works, including literay novels based on her philosophy such as The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.

My grouping of these philosophers doesn't reflect any consistent philosophy between them, those are just a few people who came to mind.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Dg...&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=8&ct=result

Neitzsche - Beyond Good and Evil

Really easy to understand, amazingly brilliant. Some parts, like his critique of Kant, may be hard to understand if you don't know the background, but it's all just bullet points so skip stuff. A couple paragraphs per topic. A large portion of the book is just aphorisms, or single-line statements.

P.S. Don't read Kant, he's a douche :p Neiztsche complete owns him in Beyond Good and Evil, and Kant is really hard to understand. Just look up what the whole Hume-Kant thing was about.