• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Looking For Philosophy Books

if ur anywhere near the Chicagoland area u can come pick up some of my books since I'm looking to get rid of some in order to make more space at home.

Does anyone have anything on the pre presocratics, babylonian and north african philosophy?

By "north African," which ethnic group are we talking about? This could include anything from St. Augustine to Ptolmy to Hermes Thrismagestus to Camus...

You've missed that i was trying to locate the philosophies of a specific time and place, not all north african and babylonian philosophy ever. In fact Augustine came nearly 1000 years after the presocratics, as did Hermes (c400 years) and Ptolemy (c600yrs).

It may help if I add that democracy, philosophy didn't just magically appear in greece, it built on the developments in the middle east and north africa. Given that does anybody have any info on the prepresocratic philosophy.

I've been interested in philosophy for a little while now, and now I'd like to get some books on it.

A friend linked me to this article:

http://deoxy.org/egofalse.htm

And I thought it was really interesting. I tried searching for the book it's from but it's realllyyy hard to get.

I enjoyed this too:

http://deoxy.org/w_nature.htm

I thought I'd link those just to show you the type of stuff I'd be interested in reading.

So yea, any suggestions would be great, thanks :)

I also found these two articles you've linked interesting.

To quote LRH
"Id like to start a religion. Thats where the money is."

- L. Ron Hubbard to Lloyd Eshbach, in 1949; quoted by Eshbach in OVER MY SHOULDER: REFLECTIONS ON A SCIENCE FICTION ERA, Donald M. Grant Publisher. 1983
and
MAKE MONEY. MAKE MORE MONEY. MAKE OTHER PEOPLE PRODUCE SO AS TO MAKE MORE MONEY."

- L. Ron Hubbard, Hubbard Communications Office Policy Letter, 9 March 1972, MS OEC 384

The International Associates of Scientology mission is Planetary Salvage, and their doing it.
L Ron Hubbards material is very high quality and gives you descriptions of what the philosopher is apt to do in his attempt. What I was trying to do is say that L Ron Hubbard gives definitions and an overview that encompasses philosophy and its counterpart criticism.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I've decided to ask for these for Christmas:

The Oxford Dictionary of Philosophy by Simon Blackburn

Think: A Compelling Introduction to Philosophy by Simon Blackburn

The Meaning of Things: Applying Philosophy to Life by A.C. Grayling

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values by Robert M. Pirsig

Judging by what I've read about them, they seem like starter books to philosophy. More of an overview, as opposed to anything specific, which is what I want right now. I'm going to take a look back at this thread after I've read them, and then go for some more specific stuff.

philosophy and its counterpart criticism.

To individuate and oppose these two concepts is as useless as it is intellectually dishonest. Philosophy is criticism.

And LRH's 'material' is not high quality - it is poorly structured and conceived thought masked by rather pithy attempts at obfuscation.

....all written while 'consuming a large quantity of pinks and blues'

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values (Robert M. Pirsig)

Tootally. I read this book in spurts, a little bit everyday until I finished it in about a month. I absolutely love it.

I prefer the 5-Gospels of Jesus-Christ, the Logos/logic (includes Thomas).
Jesus (if he existed) was a radical revolutionary, wonderful guru!
The so-called "miracles" were all metaphores . . . he didn't really walk on water and it is ur faith (in logos/logic) that makes U whole (saved).

No I think the miracles were certainly real, he must have done something pretty spectacular to have had his following and become the most eminent human of all time.

There is of course a metaphorical meaning behind the miracles he performed, but he still performed them.

I am currently reading Spinoza's Ethics, it is a chore to read but he make some hefty assertions and backs them with solid reasoning.

Tootally. I read this book in spurts, a little bit everyday until I finished it in about a month. I absolutely love it.

a slow digester it most certainly is, both times i've gone through it.

*now considering a third*

Does anyone have anything on the pre presocratics, babylonian and north african philosophy?

Read about a presocratic named Heraclitus. My textbook A Presocratics Reader edited by Patricia Curd is a pretty good primer on them. Heraclitus formulated the idea of logos which forms alot of the premise of Western thought.

LRH's 'material' is not high quality - it is poorly structured and conceived thought masked by rather pithy attempts at obfuscation.
by zorb

Don't be an ass.
-- MDAO

Last edited by a moderator:
'Beyond Good & Evil' - Nietzsche

'Existentialism & Humanism' - Sartre

'The Republic' - Plato...alot of this is SEVERELY dated (well it would be wouldn't it), but his analogies ar every insightful and there's alot of good content here.

If you're interested in political/natural law philosophy - I would suggest reading 'On Liberty' - Mill.

I haven't had anymore time to read others ill their entirety yet, but will post up when I have :D

Never read anything by L Ron Hubbard! lol
There are much more "self-improvement" philosophies you can read about without having to stoop to that level.

I dont know if itll help you at all, but im finding vast amounts of insight in the Tibetian Book of the Dead.