Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Phenethylamines [Mescaline Subthread] Storage & Stability

Billyrubin

Greenlighter
Back to main mescaline thread

This thread is meant for discussion of storage and stability of mescaline or cacti. There may be one or two things to be said about keeping cactus but since this thread will already contain a lot of redundancies:

Mescaline is an extremely stable molecule! Long time storage or boiling heat (no, not up to like 1000 degrees) will not significantly degrade it.
Cactus is a living organism, that's another subject.

[original post:]

Hey,

A friend is considering getting a mescaline tincture sometime soon, but not ingesting it till two months time. Is anyone able to enlighten me on whether or not the mescaline should still be active at this point? Should it be stored in specific conditions, eg out of light, refrigerated etc?

Would appreciate any help offered :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mescaline is an extremely stable molecule... dry, it should outlast all of us.

However, a tincture is by definition decidedly not dry. So I recommend storing it in a cold dark place away from air... standard procedure for storing chemicals. It's in an alcohol if it's a tincture so it won't grow any organic contaminants.

Kept in proper conditions I'm sure it would last for many years.

Mescaline tincture? Does he mean 2 month old cactus snot?

Enjoy! :D

Heh, I thought you meant, "Is it best to take Mescaline tincture before going on a date?"

Are you sure its not something like DOC or 2CE?

Either way as long as its stored away from light, heat and whatnot I reckon it will be just fine.

The idea of a tincture of a drug which requires such large doses does not sound quite right...

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Think he is going to produce tincture himself, using alcohol to extract mescaline, so don't fear, it's not a shaft!

I positively LOVE this interpretation
Ataraxis5 said:
Heh, I thought you meant, "Is it best to take Mescaline tincture before going on a date?"
Interesting idea though!

Thanks again.

It's a quick & cheerful way to do an alkaloid extraction. It also extracts certain sugars & a load of chlorophyll, but it's still infinitely preferable to elephant snot! :)

You could always evaporate the alcohol extract to produce a green powder that'll go into capsules (you can get a dose in about four 00 size capsules)

The other week on drugs-forum some guy was asking about taking DXM before a first date!

Thanks for clearing that up, I may just have decided what to do with all those cactus chips that've been tucked away for a rainy day...

lol I heard about that guy ^^^

and for the record, as long as you both take it, mescaline can make for an AMAZING date. Go ride bikes!

By alcohol extraction, do you mean something like this? I read it in the Big and Dandy thread on mescaline...

Step 1] Cut your cactus up into small pieces, allowing them to dry completely. Once dry, either use a blender, mortar and pestle, or your method of choice to pulverize it into a fine powder.

Step 2] Place the cactus powder in Jar A. Slowly add the Isopropyl to the jar, doubling the volume.

Step 3] Turn the jar over gently 50 to 100 times in order to begin the extraction process (by avoiding vigorous shaking, you prevent an emulsion layer from forming). After the turning/mixing has been completed, allow the mixture to sit undisturbed until it has become greenish-black in color.

Step 4] Proceed to pour the mixture into Jar B, using coffee filters, tee-shirt, or cheese cloth to filter the liquid.

Step 5] Place the left-over solid contents (now strained of the alkaloid-containing alchohol into Jar B) back into Jar A, and repeat the initial steps, adding more Isopropyl to double the volume again. Repeat the further steps twice more, or until satisfied with the extraction. Each time, the color of the alchohol will be lighter green.

Step 6] Take the alkaloid-containing alchohol of Jar B, and slowly pour into a large glass/stainless steel pan for to allow for evaporation. This can be achieved by leaving a fan blowing over the pan, or allowing the pan to sit on a dish of boiling water. Be extremely careful, as the evaporating alchohol is extremely flamable.

Step 7] Once the alchohol has evaporated, a flaky black residue will be left over to be scraped up. You must be sure to smell the mixture, as you do not want any of the Isoprpyl to be contained in it whatsoever. It should have no alchoholic smell whatsoever. To be safe, you may wish to gently heat the mixture under 122 F for a while, to enure that all of the remnants have evaporated out of the flaky remains.

Step 8] Proceed to scrape the mixture up, which can then be ground up into a powder for consumption how you see fit.

Or by tincture do you mean he won't evaporate the alcohol at all, but instead store it as a liquid and drink it? Your friend would have to be using drinkable ethanol, not isopropyl like in the above tek, in that case?

Xorkoth said:
Mescaline is an extremely stable molecule... dry, it should outlast all of us.

However, a tincture is by definition decidedly not dry. So I recommend storing it in a cold dark place away from air... standard procedure for storing chemicals. It's in an alcohol if it's a tincture so it won't grow any organic contaminants.

Kept in proper conditions I'm sure it would last for many years.

So that could be why my mescaline went bad. Maybe some air in the ziplock made it go bad. And I thought I could keep it forever :(

Aw, that sure it disappointing Aeon Psyche. :(

To those saying a tincture sounds suspicious, I disagree, at least in theory. I don't know the solubility of mescalaline, but other somewhat-related compounds (2C-E for example) can be dissolved at up to 50mg/mL in water... I would think similar in alcohol. So it seems entirely possible and it would be a great way to avoid nasty cactus tea.

jozza said:
By alcohol extraction, do you mean something like this? I read it in the Big and Dandy thread on mescaline...

Or by tincture do you mean he won't evaporate the alcohol at all, but instead store it as a liquid and drink it? Your friend would have to be using drinkable ethanol, not isopropyl like in the above tek, in that case?

Yeah that a rough & ready extraction like I was talking about. BTW, isopropyl alcohol isn't that bad - it doesn't matter if there's a little left (isopropanol is about twice the toxicity of ethanol)

First time I've UTFSE and had great success!

OT (but I don't want to start a new thread and the answer to my question seems to be above this post)

I went to go get rubbing alcohol to turn my left over fent patches into something useful. When I looked at the ingredient it said isopropyl alcohol. So would a tot of isopropyl alcohol not be too terrible if drunk? Obviously diluted about 30:1.

I plan on letting the old patches lie in for a few days and then dilute the solution and drink very small amounts at first to determine the concentration. Also, do to the principle of diffusion, this should ensure that my solution has an equal concentration. Won't it? If you have information to the contrary, please let me know but I'd also like to know the mechanism that will cause diffusion to fail. Obviously I don't want to drink 1cc of a 100cc solution and get the entire dose of fent in that ml. Although my tolerance is such that I shouldn't OD off the extra 1mg of fent left in the used patch, but nevertheless. This is in the interest of harm reduction.

Back OT:

Also coincidentally I have 35g of ground up powdered T. Peruvianus that I was using to fill gel caps. I think I'll do the above mentioned extraction rather. Thanks for the heads up!

storage question: I brewed up some tea 4 days ago and put it in my fridge, in an air-tight tupperware and covered with aluminum foil- will there be much potency loss?