• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

2008-09 NCAA College Hoops Thread... The official one!

Oklahoma over Michigan State in the finals...sorry Big East and ACC teams:)
ESPN analysts are so anti-Big Ten...Is it because of the Big Ten Network?
Minnesota will beat Duke in the second round....that's my bold pick for the tourney.

No, it's because Big Ten basketball sucks

^Stop listening to what people on ESPN say and assume they are bad just because they dont score 80 points a game...
Big Ten plays plays defense like no other conference and just because they don' have 'big name' NBA prospects doesn't mean shit. I think the Big East will flop in the tourney, as usual.

The only sport which (largely because of so many of the premier players now play 0-2 years of NCAA ball, when in the past, NEARLY EVERYONE stayed for their Senior Season) has actually DETERIORATED over the past 25 years.

for once, I completely agree with you. it is so difficult to feel any sort of team unity when the faces are changing and gone in one year. what irks me is that players who are not even THAT GOOD will just up and leave.

No, it's because Big Ten basketball sucks

Big Ten basketball is far from the elite of college hoops, but I wouldn't say it sucks. I mean it isn't like SEC bad or anything. I think that Michigan State, Illinois, and Purdue will do some March Madness damage.

speaking of the Big Ten - how did Ohio State almost win the Big Ten tourney? they really aren't that great of a team and had no place being runner-up and stunning MSU with that upset defeat. however, they all of a sudden figured out how to play solid defense and they got hot on their three point shots - and that's all you really need in college hoops.

^ I don't think it's all you need. It helps but in order to win championships you have to have solid free throw stats as well (in general).

This is the year of the Big East, too many talented teams for the conference to choke it up completely. Probably at least 4 Big East teams in the Elite Eight.

So who's in everyone's Final Four?

I have:

Wake
Memphis
Pitt
UNC

^ I don't think it's all you need. It helps but in order to win championships you have to have solid free throw stats as well (in general).

good point, I suppose I should have said shooting percentages. not just three point stats.

I am about to do my bracket tomorrow. I have a feeling Pitt is going to take it this year. I just hope the Big East doesn't pull another choke artist. they have really screwed me in the past.

me too!

i haven't had much luck with my brackets since high school, but i have a better feeling about them this year. i did two at work, one with memphis winning and one with oklahoma (which i'm relying on ty lawson to not be 100% and griffin to dominate... hopefully). so far i have 19 of 24 in both polls. could be better, but not in a bad spot yet. i didn't pick a whole lot of upsets this year.

me too!

i haven't had much luck with my brackets since high school, but i have a better feeling about them this year. i did two at work, one with memphis winning and one with oklahoma (which i'm relying on ty lawson to not be 100% and griffin to dominate... hopefully). so far i have 19 of 24 in both polls. could be better, but not in a bad spot yet. i didn't pick a whole lot of upsets this year.

Griffin is nasty, but OU has poor guard play compared to many teams left in the tourney.

well i'm certainly not gonna pretend i know more than i do about college hoops, i really don't follow the teams all that closely until march (sad i know), so though i have a decent understanding of who's good and why, i don't know the details as well as most people who i'm in the pool with. the main reason i have oklahoma winning it is because (as i said) i'm relying on ty lawson to not be 100%. naturally this is only assuming my bracket plays out as i'm hoping which would put UNC and oklahoma in the elite 8 against each other. oklahoma squeaking one out on UNC then since i don't know much about pitt, i've got oklahoma beating them in the final four to meet kansas in the final where i have oklahoma winning 79-73.

like i said, i don't claim to know a ton about college hoops so i'm not gonna say i sat there and analyzed every game i chose, but i'm just hoping i got this one bagged. :D

well i'm certainly not gonna pretend i know more than i do about college hoops, i really don't follow the teams all that closely until march (sad i know), so though i have a decent understanding of who's good and why, i don't know the details as well as most people who i'm in the pool with. the main reason i have oklahoma winning it is because (as i said) i'm relying on ty lawson to not be 100%. naturally this is only assuming my bracket plays out as i'm hoping which would put UNC and oklahoma in the elite 8 against each other. oklahoma squeaking one out on UNC then since i don't know much about pitt, i've got oklahoma beating them in the final four to meet kansas in the final where i have oklahoma winning 79-73.

like i said, i don't claim to know a ton about college hoops so i'm not gonna say i sat there and analyzed every game i chose, but i'm just hoping i got this one bagged. :D

I hear ya; still, though, a 70% Ty Lawson is better than OUs guards.

I have Pitt winning it all; I think if OU plays Pitt DeJuan Blair and Griffin basically cancel each other out, as long as Blair stays out of foul trouble that is, and then you have Fields and Young on the perimeter giving the Panthers an advantage. I think that game will depend on how many fouls Blair racks up. They are undefeated when he doesn't foul out, 0-3 when he does.

OVER FOUR HOURS since the Sweet Sixteen tipped off, and NOT one single solitary post in this thread about it - UNTIL THIS ONE!

Where have you gone, MJ, Sampson, Phi Slamma Jamma, Ewing, Mullin, Duncan, Grant Hill?

The game just ain't the same anymore.

Shame.

just got back from Chapel Hill . . absolutely wonderful getting to see that team play at its full potential.

the rioting was a lot of fun too.

If my team reaches NIT again, and fails...again...Ima puke. :|

Congrats to the 'heels - definitely earned it, IMO. But who wouldathunkit for the Spartans getting to the finals again? Nod to Izzo as well. I respect him, but still hate the school after they beat my Gators in our first shot at the title (as they WERE the better team, I got no grounds....but still :!).

Congrats UNC.