• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Indica vs. Sativa

Temeraroius

Bluelighter
This came up in another thread and I figured it was a question worth asking. Does anyone know the neurochemistry behind what makes an indica strain of marijuana more of a body stone while a sativa strain gives more of a mental high?

just let me be the first to say that this really doesn't belong in ADD.

Well where does it belong? I dont think anyone in the other forums knows enough chemistry and biology to answer the question.

Differing levels of CBD,CBN and THC by strain, etc...

CBD---> more sedating, body high etc

Post this in the cannabis discussion, they could have easily answered this...

Temeraroius said:
Well where does it belong? I dont think anyone in the other forums knows enough chemistry and biology to answer the question.
Never underestimate the stoner's knowledge of weed. ;) I'm sure Cannabis Discussion would know well.

lol buncha memberators in here :D

negrogesic said:
Differing levels of CBD,CBN and THC by strain, etc...

CBD---> more sedating, body high etc

Post this in the cannabis discussion, they could have easily answered this...
I do not believe this is the full picture. CBD is higher percentage in shittier strains of marijuana (poorly grown or just weak genetic strains). Indica strains can be very high grade with low amounts of CBD. Therefore, there must be another factor accounting for the indica type stone vs. the sativa type buzz.

I remember being told that THC was the only canibinoid that really got you high and that the others were fairly inactive. If that is true then other canibinoids couldnt explain it.

THC is really the only psychoactive compound in marijuana.

Bored stoners are insistent on all this weed snobbery with different kinds of "BUBBLE KUSH x BLACK WIDOW x STRAWBERRY DIESEL COUGH" but it really comes down to one single psychoactive ingredient.

CBD and CBN are the two other cannabinoids present in significant concentrations, and they are not psychoactive.

Case in point: Smoke some Spice Gold (which has (1) active ingredient) and tell me it isn't more or less exactly like weed.

^To add...you don't hear tobacco smokers comparing the different "highs" of different brands of smokes. True, there are many different flavors and varieties of tobacco, but they all deliver nicotine, which is what you're after.

wungchow said:
THC is really the only psychoactive compound in marijuana.

Bored stoners are insistent on all this weed snobbery with different kinds of "BUBBLE KUSH x BLACK WIDOW x STRAWBERRY DIESEL COUGH" but it really comes down to one single psychoactive ingredient.

CBD and CBN are the two other cannabinoids present in significant concentrations, and they are not psychoactive.

Case in point: Smoke some Spice Gold (which has (1) active ingredient) and tell me it isn't more or less exactly like weed.
9-delta-THC is also psychoactive (moreso than regular THC).

regular THC = delta-9 THC

The only other psychoactive cannabinoid you'll encounter from cannabis is 11-hydroxy THC which is produced by hepatic metabolism

are you sure about that?

I was told a technique to convert CBD into THC into 9DeltaTHC

if regular THC=9deltaTHC then why would this tek have a step in between the two?

I knew someone would bring up the fact that CBD was not pyschoactive in its own right....

But:

Cannabidiol, a non-psychoactive component of cannabis, has been reported to have interactions with Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol (Delta(9)-THC). However, such interactions have not sufficiently been clear and may have important implications for understanding the pharmacological effects of marijuana. In the present study, we investigated whether cannabidiol modulates the pharmacological effects of Delta(9)-THC on locomotor activity, catalepsy-like immobilisation, rectal temperature and spatial memory in the eight-arm radial maze task in mice. In addition, we measured expression level of cannabinoid CB(1) receptor at striatum, cortex, hippocampus and hypothalamus. Delta(9)-THC (1, 3, 6 and 10 mg/kg) induced hypoactivity, catalepsy-like immobilisation and hypothermia in a dose-dependent manner. In addition, Delta(9)-THC (1, 3 and 6 mg/kg) dose-dependently impaired spatial memory in eight-arm radial maze. On the other hand, cannabidiol (1, 3, 10, 25 and 50 mg/kg) did not affect locomotor activity, catalepsy-like immobilisation, rectal temperature and spatial memory on its own. However, higher dose of cannabidiol (10 or 50 mg/kg) exacerbated pharmacological effects of lower dose of Delta(9)-THC, such as hypoactivity, hypothermia and impairment of spatial memory. Moreover, cannabidiol (50 mg/kg) with Delta(9)-THC (1 mg/kg) enhanced the expression level of CB(1) receptor expression in hippocampus and hypothalamus. Cannabidiol potentiated pharmacological effects of Delta(9)-THC via CB(1) receptor-dependent mechanism. These findings may contribute in setting the basis for interaction of cannabinoids and to find a cannabinoid mechanism in central nervous system. here

So, the presence of CBD does mediate some of the activity of THC (at least, in marijuana), and could explain the difference between strains....

Gaian Planes said:
are you sure about that?

I was told a technique to convert CBD into THC into 9DeltaTHC

if regular THC=9deltaTHC then why would this tek have a step in between the two?
There's one mistake in this thinking:
It's converting CBD into THC (=delta9-THC). Converting "THC" into "delta9-THC" makes no sense. There is no additional step!
If you consider this, the procedure makes sense again. Don't you think? ;)

Peace! Murphy

Temeraroius said:
This came up in another thread and I figured it was a question worth asking. Does anyone know the neurochemistry behind what makes an indica strain of marijuana more of a body stone while a sativa strain gives more of a mental high?

Sorry I can't answer the question directly. However most strains now produced by the professionals such as Rez (Sour Diesel IBL) and DJ Short (True blueberry, F-13, Flo and my favorate Grape Crush) is well known for taking landrush strains (strains that grow in there natural environment) and cross breeding, and back crossing so many times to get a hybrid. Most exhibit both traits (Sativa and Indica) They may lean torwords one way or another. I have a great site for you, however I'm sure thats a violation. Check some of the grower sites, those people know more than they probably should;)
They're all nice and mellow their too...unlike the welcome I got from some people here 8)

%)Dutch

1 has higher levels of THC and lower levels of CBD.
The other has higher levels of CBD and lower levels of THC.

Google it?

CaptainBenzo said:
Sorry I can't answer the question directly. However most strains now produced by the professionals such as Rez (Sour Diesel IBL) and DJ Short (True blueberry, F-13, Flo and my favorate Grape Crush) is well known for taking landrush strains (strains that grow in there natural environment) and cross breeding, and back crossing so many times to get a hybrid. Most exhibit both traits (Sativa and Indica) They may lean torwords one way or another. I have a great site for you, however I'm sure thats a violation. Check some of the grower sites, those people know more than they probably should;)
They're all nice and mellow their too...unlike the welcome I got from some people here 8)

%)Dutch

I know about how it leans towardes one or the other, most high quality seeds you can buy online say a certain percent indica and a certain percent sativa. I actually know a fair amount about growing I have just never done it (I'm 17 so I dont really have a place to do it and it is really too risky for me).

Temeraroius said:
I actually know a fair amount about growing I have just never done it (I'm 17 so I dont really have a place to do it and it is really too risky for me).

Well your never too young to learn botany, hell my little brothers been growing since he was 8

:)Dutch