• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Indica vs. Sativa

^ I'm not sure about the chemicals you listed, but you have your species backwards... Sativa is up, and Indica is down...

I hate to bring up an old thread.. but which strain is said to cause more anxiety side-effects? Thats what Im trying to figure out.

Can anyone help?

Is it possible that the interactions between cannabinoids present in various levels accounts for the difference? Perhaps there is an unexplored metabolic process, or some type of enzyme inhibition going on... Just some random thoughts

Having had lots of experience with pure strains of both sativa and indica, I can say that in terms of high, they are both herb. They both get you stoned like herb and any difference due to something biochemical to me is so subtle as to be un-noticable, if there indeed is a difference.

The difference is more a person's psychology and expectations colouring the experience, in my blunt opinion.

If a person was to take a blind test between the two types, they would more likely be able to tell the difference based on phenotypical characteristics of the plant material than subtle characteristics of the high.

Well, I know I can tell the difference. Sativa is almost stimulating while indica almost knocks me out...

^I don't expect anybody to agree with me. I've gotten into quite a few (too many) arguments over it at this point. ;)

I tend to agree. Your ability to tell the difference, unfortunately, is meaningless. Unless it's done in a double blind manner, any results are mostly useless.

I've been smoking daily for the past 2 and half years, and I've yet to notice a difference between indica/sativa highs. I find that time of day and whether I smoked previously has a much stronger on my mood and energy level than any other factor. For instance, if I smoke in the early afternoon I'm much more energetic, but at the end of the day I'm definitely just stoned and laying around.

I think it's all about the THC, all the other stuff is at best a 2nd order effect, but to first order the high depends on how much THC you smoke, everything else is minor. I'm pretty sure you need THC to get high, and the difference in highs is a placebo effect. The idea that some weed makes you behave differently than others is a bit absurd IMO

Indica has a more 'up' feel to it owing to its higher percentage of 4-(n)-propyl thc.
Sativa has a more 'down' feel to it owing to its higher percentage of 4-(n)-pentyl thc.

Well, these are backwards for one. Indica is considered to be a more sedating high.

Now, assuming that 4-propyl-THC--the terminology I can't find anywhere, and is incorrect by IUPAC standards, as the alkyl chain is located on the 3 carbon-- is the same as THCV which is also known as TetrahydroCannabivarin- which is found in higher quantities in indica strains, then this logic makes absolutely no sense.

THCV (Tetrahydrocannabivarin) will not produce a sedating high. It will not produce any high. It's a CB1 antagonist a la rimonabant, a drug known to cause serious psychiatric problems. However, it's not one that produces an intoxication.

I tried Rimonabant a few times and didn't notice any effect.

I think the days when there was sativa and indica as separate 'species' are long gone, thanks to selective breeding for potencyas well as international movement of seeds, most strains are now mixed sativa-indica, with different amounts of each in the genetic makeup.
nobody really has a clue about the lineage of most strains back more than say 5-10 generations, perhaps because stoned people did the breeding.

^people still grow old Afghanis and Thais. Either is about as pure an Indica or a Sativa as you're going to get, respectively.

Most hash is made of relatively pure indica plants, AFAIK.

You are kidding?

Cigars, pipe tobacco, smokeless tobacco (snuff, swedish 'snus', quids), filter cigarettes, self-rolled, all have different characteristics in the "high", depending on several factors, and smokeless tobacco does not do some of the things tobacco smoke usually do which contributes to the "high". Add to this the possible different qualities of the material, and you've got a wide variety of "highs".

I've found that trying to quit smoking by chewing nicotine gum I feel quite hyperactive and still want to smoke, not for the nicotine, but, i guess, for the carbon monoxide! I doubt any of the other chemicals in tobacco smoke will have much more interesting/desirable effects.

As for weed, it seems conceivable that other cannabinoids could modulate the effects to some extent. I never knew what strain the stuff I've bought was, but I grew some that took ages to flower, so was presumably a sativa, and remember tripping out pretty hard on it, for what that's worth!

I think the days when there was sativa and indica as separate 'species' are long gone, thanks to selective breeding for potencyas well as international movement of seeds, most strains are now mixed sativa-indica, with different amounts of each in the genetic makeup.
nobody really has a clue about the lineage of most strains back more than say 5-10 generations, perhaps because stoned people did the breeding.

A buddy of mine works with pure strains.

And the only shop I ever trusted with "pure strains" in Amsterdam was "The Grey Area" - very hard to find.. but a gold mine. The only place in Amsterdam that sells by 1/8's and 1/4's and OZ... instead of the usual Euro grams and so on.

AND real baggies like the states too.. not fucking fishing lure baggies lol.

Most hash is made of relatively pure indica plants, AFAIK.

Depends where it's from. You can make a good quality and quantity of hash from sativas too, but traditionally, like, in India, Nepal and Afghanistan, the plants grown are of Indica stock. I think, but I'm not sure that Moroccan and Lebanese plants are sativas though, and Moroccan and Lebanese hash is usually a sift-and-press, where Indian etc. hashish is more often rubbed.

I think if it's from North America though, it can just as likely be either-or or from a cross, because people grow all kinds of shit, and people often make hash by sifting trim as a way to deal with it, no matter what genes they grow.

Moroccan's know how to make some GOOOOOOOD hash.
The best hash I ever had was Moroccan and I cant remember the other location. I want to say Afganistan or Lebanese.
But they all hit like that ton of bricks.. like hitting crack.

And.. of course the local bubble hash.

Moroccan is definitely indica though... Lebanese could be sativa.

I tend to agree with vecktor. There's a strong chance any genetic analysis will show that there's no longer any truly pure strains, just varying degrees of purity.

something similar has occurred with falco peregrinus in the United States. DDT effectively wiped the true anatum's out, and the few that may have made their way to cornell are obviously no longer with us. They collected as many F.p. pealei and F.p. tundrius as they could to beef up their stocks, and successfully reintroduced falco peregrinus to the eastern united states. However, anyone today claiming to be selling "true/pure anatums" needs a history lesson. I had a falco pelegrinoides (or falco peregrinus pelegrinoides, depending on who's taxonomy you're partial to) that was poorly bred and whose feet eventually couldn't open to get food to it's face. A terrible way to die, I'm afraid.

Anyway, I suspect that in some traditional communities using seeds that have grown locally for centuries, pure strains could be found, but it's incredibly unlikely for any truly pure strains being commonly used anymore. Everyone who has been making money off of cannabis has been extensively cross breeding for at least two decades.

Given the incredibly scientific methods being used by pot heads, I wouldn't trust any vendors claim. No, the high a strain creates in you isn't a valid way of determining strain...