Bluelight

Thread: Historical info regarding 'Penis Envy' mushrooms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Historical info regarding 'Penis Envy' mushrooms 
    The Penis Envy strain seems to have gained quite a bit of clout in the mushroom community, but there is not much information regarding how this strain came about other than that it was originally from an African mushroom and that it was developed by Terrence Mckenna. Can someone point me in the direction of any first hand material regarding this mushroom, either Mckenna writing on the subject or something similar. All i have found are various versions of the following...

Penis Envy was developed by the famous entheogenic mycologist/enthobotanist and psilonaut Terence McKenna. Besides his wonderful teachings he left behind to fuel our thoughts and imagination, he also left one of the most unique and powerful cubensis mushrooms we have every experienced. Its nick named Penis Envy because they resemble.....well......you guessed it.. a penis. Terence was big on mushrooms and marijuana and he talks a lot of psilocybin mushrooms being a "male" energy and mj being a "female" energy. No wonder he developed a mushroom that looks like a penis.

2. Collapse Details

Go to shroomery...

3. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    This sounds retarded. Mushrooms cannot be "developed", as they are natural. I think this whole post is possibly just stupid?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by psilocybonaut
    This sounds retarded. Mushrooms cannot be "developed", as they are natural. I think this whole post is possibly just stupid?
    You know a lot about mushroom cultivation?

Yeah, isolating substrains by selection of favorable genetics is retarded bullshit, sure... no wonder no one does it to find potent strains of a mushroom species.
    /sarcasm

5. Collapse Details

Bluelighter

domestication of wild plants into modern crops such as corn is "developing" new strains. its just breeding. most the food you eat was "developed"

6. Collapse Details

No need to be rude mate . Mushrooms and indeed pretty much all plants/fungii can be cultivated and have certain features that are favourable and are duplicated; how do you think cannabis strains have been getting better over the years? I won't mention the fact that nearly every major crop in the world is domesticated ie. not found in the wild ie. developed by humans.

EDIT: Also, penis envy cubes would be cultivated from the amazonian strain, not africa.

7. Collapse Details

Is this strain really more potent than classic cubes ?

8. Collapse Details

Go to shroomery...
    I did. thats where the quoted text is from, the shroomery has lots of information regarding cultivation of Penis Envy but no more historical info than what i already posted.

pretty cocky coming from someone who doesn't know what the word developed means, ill just give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your 5

EDIT: Also, penis envy cubes would be cultivated from the amazonian strain, not africa.
    ive heard both, there seems to be a lot hearsay regarding the mushroom thats why i would really like first hand info from Mckenna if it exists.

Is this strain really more potent than classic cubes ?
    thats the word on the street

9. Collapse Details

Do people sell this strain's spores for personal grows

10. Collapse Details

No, spores of any psychoactive mushrooms are sold purely for microscopic study purposes only.

What you actually do with the spores is another story though...

11. Collapse Details

mushrooms can show very strange characteristics/abnormalities at times. i believe the case of PE is an isolation of such an abnormality of it's appearance.

12. Collapse Details

isnt it odd that mckenna supposedly developed this strain but their is no info from him in the matter, wasn't there another mckenna strain making the round at some point as well. i guess im just wondering if this is a weird marketing gimmick???

13. Collapse Details

Who do you think developed it then? Because someone had to do the work of isolating a substrain and reiterating this countless time to stabilize the strain. A strain that gives such constant results of a very distinct shape has to be a result of lots of work, and if McKenna didn't do it I can't see whoever did it letting him take all the credit.

14. Collapse Details

I guess it's not too surprising from the man who brought us "self-transforming machine elves".

15. Collapse Details

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showpost....&postcount=147

This post by MJShroomer has some nice photos and mentions that the boomers are "From the original strain developed by Steven Pollock on Terence McKenna's Amazonian Cubes...".

16. Collapse Details

EDIT: ahh ok^^

i have no doubt someone did it i would just like to read some first hand info on the matter, countless strains of weed and mushrooms have no historical information regarding their breeding etc. all those botanists and mycologists being forgotten by the history books...
    Last edited by hamhurricane; 21-10-2008 at 01:32.

17. Collapse Details

Well what about the guy who created White Widow, Ingmar what's-his-name... he's quite famous

18. Collapse Details

yo can anyone tell me how many amazonian cubes u should take to have a good trip

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by shroomboi420
    yo can anyone tell me how many amazonian cubes u should take to have a good trip
    Don't go by numbers but by weight. Average dose would be between 2 and 3.5 grams dried. Most cubes are about the same potency.

20. Collapse Details

ayyy
    Steven Pollock only has one book in print and as far as i can tell there is no info about Penis Envy.
    still searching...

21. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by hamhurricane
    isnt it odd that mckenna supposedly developed this strain but their is no info from him in the matter, wasn't there another mckenna strain making the round at some point as well. i guess im just wondering if this is a weird marketing gimmick???

Mckenna also supposedly developed a strain called Syzygy. I know someone who happens to have a print of it, too bad my microscope is broken

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by shaman-australis.com/forum
    When Shroom pioneer Terrance McKenna first opened his online store, many years ago, the name of the site was Sysygy… it carried one type of un-named cubensis...
    The original, or actual name or geographic location origins remain a mystery now, as they did then. But… They are McKenna originals.

22. Collapse Details

but everything seems like a dead end i looked for the website on internet archives and could not find it, does anyone know what the url was. now that the info is so hard to find im getting really curious.

someone says mckenna made it but i can not find any info about it
    someone says pollock made it but i cant find any info about it
    now this website that cant be found...

23. Collapse Details

Call him up and interview him

24. Collapse Details

^^^
    i dont know if your joking but he died years ago. i did however contact his brother dennis mckenna who said that he had never heard of a penis envy mushroom and that terrence never sold spore prints for it, he did say that terrence sold prints for an "AMZ" strain, which im assuming stands for amazon.

does anyone know anything about the 1981 DEA raid of stephen pollocks green house? or does anyone have any info from pollock concerning his work with the amazonian mushroom?

this is turning out to be a good mystery.

25. Collapse Details

Is this some strain with mutiple copies of genes (polyploidy), like the cristate & monstrose forms of cacti, or is it just some specially selected form with normal genetics?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast