• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Catacombs, Abandoned Train Stations, Secret Doors...etc

Pander Bear said:
wow, an entire thread without mention of weburbanist.com

http://weburbanist.com/abandoned-buildings-towns-and-cities/

Amazing Abandoned Missile Silos: Believe it or not, there are a great many missile silos in the United States and elsewhere in the world you can visit, break into or even buy. Some people play it safe and take the guided tours, others enter without permission and at potentially grave personal risk and still others have purchased silos and converted them into strange dream homes and other impressive spaces.

holy shit, now i know where i want to live =D

Speaking of Chernobyl..

I find it interesting that a lot of the wildlife in the area have short enough life spans that they never suffer from the radiation. There is in fact a resurgence in wolf populations there because of this combined with the lack of humans.

Makes me wonder if a post-nuclear era would simply be a return to much shorter life spans for humans where we all die of cancer around 20 but overall people can ignore it.

I love explorations of this kind. I have mostly ventured into abandoned hospitals, my favorite of course being the old Merchant Seamen Hospital in San Francisco, CA built in 1931 and closed in the 80's. There is an unmarked cemetary in the back of it filled with hundreds of soldiers. I spent a few hours in there and there was definitely spirits in there.
18322899_bf2af76db0.jpg

last year I got to be a part of a small movement in my town to create an underground art gallery in a local sewer. Most of the other people involved opted out after a while, but my partner and I persisted and when we moved away our work spanned at least a half mile into the tunnel. Our main emphasis was on improv poetry and sound with some visual art by me. In the beginning it was mostly photographers involved, but we did some performance art pieces down there too. My partner and I would spend 5+ hours at a time down there. We felt so at home in that space.

I personally think its important to know where those underground places are in case anything ever happened in your city and you needed a place to run to with your family.

^ Thanks!

Holy Fuck!

The fact that the idiot who bought it scrapped the dishes makes me seethe with anger!

ps. Ali, I never knew about that, very interesting!

ahh, looking at the cave clan's photos, they reminded me how as kids we'd walk or ride our bikes through the canals to get to the swimming centre a couple of suburbs away. we'd have to go under quite a few bridges and small tunnels.

and then there was what we called "the darkies", where there are two side by side completely spherical and enclosed tunnels that run several blocks from near my parents place to the local golf course. we'd get a stick with a rag wrapped around the top, soak it in petrol, light it and walk through.

i'd never do that shit today. too claustrophobic.

Jamshyd said:
*slaps head* How could I forget Byzantium? Of course...

Yerebatan.jpg

I've been to the cistern in Istanbul and I've explored parts of the Paris catacombs.

Jammy if you ever get a chance to do it make sure to take a flashlight. ;) (Obviously right?)

looks like another opportunity to use the fabulous clip on cap light
hatlighttl6.jpg

I am fascinated with the French Catacombs. although You'd never get my butt down in there lol. did you hear about the man who went missing down there and left his camera running. Probably a hoax but still, it makes me wonder.

Rpg