• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tramadol potentiators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tray Dub

Greenlighter
Are there any? I've got access to promethazine and diphenhydramine, would these help?

I bet this has been asked and answered a few times, but I searched the site for a couple minutes and couldn't find anything, so dont give me too much shit :)

Try doing an 'Advanced search' and click 'Search titles only'. I'm almost positive there is a thread on here with the same exact title; "Tramadol Potentiators", try typing that in, and if it doesn't come up than type just 'Tramadol'.

Tramadol used to be my DOC but i never did find any potentiators for it. All the regular things people use to potentiate other opiates didn't seem to work for Tramadol, at least not for me. On the other hand-- Tramadol itself works as a fiarly good potentiator for other opiates, i use it to potentiate Poppy pods and sometimes oxy.. but that's not what you asked.

Good luck.

Promethazine and diphenhydramine both help alot, esp promethazine.

I find marijuana makes getting into a nod easier, with any opiate, but just a moderate amount, you dont want the stoned feeling to overpower the opiate feeling, just a toke or two and it seems to help me catch a nod.

IMO promethazine ruins a perfectly good opiate high, anything does in my book. You're left with this groggy non-euphoric stupor.

BTW, I think grapefruit juce is a potentiatoer, I think I read it somewhere, it is with most other opiates, same with cimetidine.

^ Grapefruit juice will inhibit CYP2D6, the enzyme that metabolizes tramadol into o-desmethyltramadol which provides most of the opioid like effects of the drug. So GFJ is not wanted.

Instead, the OP should try a CYP2D6 inducer, however there are few of these and I don't think any are widely available.

diphenhydramine does help. but take it 2 - 3 hours after taking the tram. you need to wait till the M1 metabolite reaches it's max.

The best potentiator I’ve found is Tegretol. (Soma, Valium, etc. work synergistically with tramadol, but are not actually potentiators).
The concomitant use of Tegretol serves two purposes: 1) Tegretol is an anticonvulsant, so I don’t have to worry about seizures (although I always take diazepam when on tramadol anyway); and 2) most importantly, Tegretol induces tramadol at cytochrome CYP2D6. Although we generally want to take inhibitors, rather than inducers, with our opiates, inducing tramadol facilitates its metabolism into M1, which has many times the affinity for the mu receptor, as has been mentioned above.
I take 400mg tramadol, 200mg in the form of sustained-release tabs and 200mg in the form of IR tabs. I take two 100mg SR tabs at time zero, then take 4 50mg IR tabs over the course of the next 4-8 hours. I take one 200mg Tegretol at time zero, then 2-3 more over the course of the next 4-8 hours. The high starts off as very stimulating. However, by keeping a steady stream in my system and letting the Tegretol faciliate tramadol's metabolism into M1, it eventually becomes quite opiate-like. Technically, St. John’s Wort would be an even more potent inducer, but I’m not willing to risk serotonin syndrome as I’m already on mirtazapine.

Last edited:
LuxEtVeritas sent me a PM, in which he made a compelling point. Unfortunately, the PM disappeared when the site was having problems, and I’m not able to PM him as I don’t have enough posts.
LuxEtVeritas pointed out that “it appears [Tegretol] would be a very potent 3a4 inducer and an almost negligible 2d6 inducer. As such it would only slightly at best aid conversion to M1 and at the expense of too quickly metabolizing both tram and its metabolites as a whole into inactive compounds via 3a4 induction.”

I am far from sure that that the carbamazepine facilitated the conversion of tramadol to M1 and that this made the high more “opiate-like.” In fact, I believe LuxEtVeritas’ hypothesis is not only tenable, but probable.

Why? Because the way I went about it was the antithesis of the scientific method. In order to make such a claim, I would need to remain abstinent from tramadol for a period of time, then take 400mg; then I’d need to remain abstinent for the same period of time, take 400mg plus the Tegretol under similar conditions with a similar mind-state. And even this would be rather weak evidence; I’d need replication.

Another reason that I can’t support my claim is that there were a number of confounds. First and foremost, at the time I made the post, I’d been taking 300-400mg of tramadol a day for the last 4 weeks. Furthermore, it’s known that redosing increases the bioavailability of tramadol, and that the best way to use it recreationally is to space your doses out throughout the day. Although I’d been on a “binge” for 4 weeks, it was not until the last 5 days that I procured tramadol SR. I content that the SR is a more effective way of spacing ones IR doses throughout the day.

Here’s what I can say: The Tegretol definitely changed the subjective experience. However, I cannot state the exact mechanism(s) by which this occurred. It might very well be that as I have a CYP450 chart in my office (thanks Soundpharm!), I expected the experience to be different and thus I perceived it as different. I’ve taken a holiday from tramadol, and thus far have 6 days. Perchance I’ll try the addition of Tegretol in a more scientific manner :)

As has been mentioned previously, ethanol is a potentiator of tramadol in that it’s an inducer at CYP2D6. Carisoprodol (Soma) has been mentioned as a potentiator, but to be more concise it’s actually synergistic, as it doesn’t actually potentiate the tramadol. Baclofen is a crappy muscle relaxant and has little, if any, recreational value on its own; I’ve taken 200mg, and although I definitely felt that my muscles were very relaxed (kind of like jello), there was no euphoria. Furthermore, the baclofen made me feel kinda tired, but not sleepy; yet I ended up sleeping for 12 hours and missing a course after going to bed.

This is a HARM REDUCTION site, so please use extreme caution when mixing depressants, as respiratory depression leading to coma or death are very real possibilities.

That said, here’s my experience:
I took a 6 day sabbatical from tramadol. On day 7, I decided to have some fun. Typically, I only feel the SSRI/SNRI effects as I tend to take it on a regular basis- I don’t get any opiate-like effects or sedation. This is great insofar as I can take tramadol as a “booster” to my atomoxetine (Strattera)- I have AD/HD predominantly inattentive type with sub-clinical hyperactive/impulse features. I’m also enrolled in a doctoral program, and the tramadol truly helps me to focus. However, I wanted to take a “vacation” so that I could enjoy the, albeit weak, opiate-like effects of tramadol.

I’ve taken 400mg of IR tramadol over the last 8 hours. Generally, I wouldn’t take any after 5pm, as it would keep me up all night. However, it’s now 11pm, and I’m not feeling stimulated, but rather somewhat opiated. I’ve taken 100mg of tramadol over the last two hours. Over the last two hours, I’ve also consumed 5 standard drinks (Kentucky bourbon), 1400 mg of carisoprodol, and 75mg of baclofen. I’m feeling rather nice. I think I’ll have another drink over the next hour, then 15mg zolpidem subcutaneously before bed.

Good night all :)

Tramadol is the devil, but at the same time, its awesome if you are a good metabolizer. O-Desmethyl its really strong, I would say, at the peak of the O-Desmethyl, very close to Hydrocodone.
The best potentiators? 1- Benzos, Clonazepam I would suggest, including it lowers the seizure possibility. 2- Carisoprodol.
Nothing more. I wont suggest to mix Tramadol with other opiates nor take any other drug than benzos or Carisoprodol. Not even Diphenhydramine, because of the flood of Serotonin.

yea theirs a thread with the exact same title. i've even posted in it.

^ Grapefruit juice will inhibit CYP2D6, the enzyme that metabolizes tramadol into o-desmethyltramadol which provides most of the opioid like effects of the drug. So GFJ is not wanted.

Instead, the OP should try a CYP2D6 inducer, however there are few of these and I don't think any are widely available.

Ok so, first off, GFJ will NOT inhibit CYP2D6 but the CYP3A4 gene. Then again, Tramadol Hydrochloride gets convereted into its main active metabolite (O-desmethyltramadol) by three isoenzymes named : CYP2D6, CYP3A4 and CYP2B6 and NOT only by CYP2D6, unlike codeine, which gets demethylated and converted into Morphine uniquely by CYP2D6, even though this latter substance DOES get converted into norcodeine as well by CYP3A4 resulting into less Codeine converted into the desirable Morphine. And that's exactly why GFJ IS a fairly good potentiatior: as it inhibits CYP3A4 (the unwanted one when it comes to metabolizing Codeine into Morphine) , hence, when Codeine is converted , it will undergo the hepatic metabolism by mostly CYP2D6, resulting in more moprhine, an optimized conversion and a longer half-life(as it'll take more time to the few CYP3A4 left after being inhibited to break Codeine down into the ineffective/useless Norcodeine).

So the bottom line is: "GFJ actually IS wanted for Codeine" and relatively useful for what concerns the Tramadol conversion.
It all depends on the singular activity of each isoenzyme involved in this conversion process, thus it may help you if your CYP3A4 action is too strong and need to let some space to the CYP2D6 to work as well..so Tramadol CAN be potentiated by GFJ but that's not always the case.

Weed! 100%
Tramadol then weed and you will be high as fuck.
A lot of people think adding Benadryl to Tramadol helps because it makes you even more drowsy.

fuck tramadol

This kind of shit here pisses me off Heres why:

Tramadol may not work for everybody but it does work for quite a few people, including myself. The people whom tramadol does not work for are quick to assume everyone who uses tramadol is an idiot flat out or they bash the drug.

For those of you whom tramadol does not work for, take a look at the big picture... Why is there posts in the forum, quite a few actually about tramadol. Stating that tramadol works for them.

Quit the "Tramadol is stupid, you're an idiot for usin tramadol" bullshit, grow up guys, Everyones body chemistry is different, otherwise if it wasn't we'd all look, think and act the same which we don't.

No he's not, and if you are in the elementary school of opiates, sure tram is great.

But if you get even the slightest tolerance from stronger opiates, you can kiss tramadol's ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.