Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Shrimp

ClubbinGuido

Ex-Bluelighter
I have some shrimp. I know you Aussies love shrimp on the barbie. How do I prepare these fuckers for maximum deliciousness on the barbie?

Sorry to burst you're bubble but the fact of the matter is not many Aussies actually put shrimps on BBQs. I think that is an inaccurate stereotype. Someone correct me if i'm wrong because I don't know anyone who does it.

There's a lot of shrimps in Cairns.

Some of them dress up as people and buy nice apartments on the beachfront so my first suggestion is that you should wash off any real estate they have still clinging to them.

I don't know shrimp but when ever I bbq prawns I make a satay marinade and just cook them. They taste pretty good that way, but I've never had shrimp either.

Im guessing you mean prawns??

I dont know anyone in Australia that calls them shrimp. I shrimp is like a wee little person with small man syndrome.

Anyways, best way to bbq prawns in my opinion is to make a paste of butter and garlic. brush the paste on nice and thick and then throw on the bbq but only for about 30secs each side.

Oh, thats assuming they are pre cooked which means they will be orange........if they are green prawns then boil them fgirst to cook em.

the bbqs job is just to warm them through.

Cant beat garlic prawns.

Hmm I reckon you could still wack em on the barbie even raw....prawns dont take very long to cook at all. Provided your heat is nice and high so they dont go rubbery.

But IMHO prawns are better in a wok cos you can chuck em around a bit.

No one eats SHRIMP in Australia. Pffffttt...bloody Americans ;)

nuh uh, just plain cooked prawns with thousand island dressing - nothing beats it

Prawns don't go all that great on the BBQ IMHO. Just boiled in salt water like Joey says or else in a stir fry is the way to go. And garlic prawns kick ass too but I'd shell them 1st.

Who else tried a prawn head at the Melbourne BL tepanyaki dinner last year? Bloody tasty I thought! Surprisingly.

Don't listen to any of these pretender's CG... they should all hand in their cork rimmed hats. (EE fucking lives in Auckland FFS, he hasn't seen the Sun for months).

The first thing you need is the right hardware....
gardening003.jpg

Hammock for swinging and swigging ones beer is optional.

Leave the pre-cooked prawns for salads and sandwitches. Green prawns only need 2-3 minutes each side on a hot plate... enough time to bowl a few deliveries down the backyard cricket pitch.

Favourite marinade would be Chilli prawns...
Peel and de-bum (remove the back vein) the Green prawns, leaving the tail for a handle.

Then marinade for and hour with...

# 3 small red chillies, deseeded, finely chopped
# 1 tablespoon olive oil
# 4 large limes, juiced
# 1/3 cup grated palm sugar
# 2 tablespoons fish sauce
# 2 garlic cloves, crushed

2 minutes each side on the BBQ and serve with crusty butter bread, washed down with a beer (or a glass of white if you are hosting the Queen).

If you want a bit of Queensland flavour, try adding some mango to the marinade.

I only pity the fools allergic to seafood...:p

Next week on Busty's cooking thread... pig on a spit!

PigSpit.jpg

NickyJ said:
Who else tried a prawn head at the Melbourne BL tepanyaki dinner last year? Bloody tasty I thought! Surprisingly.
^I think I was the first guinea pig from memory.. Fucking muzby can make anyone do anything. :|

I guess you prolly could do green prawns on the bbq.........just never tried it. But I promise i will very soon.

Busty, your recipe sounds great.

Oh and yes of course you should shell the bastards first. Removing the shit string is optional depending on just how bad they are.

I ate a prawn's eye once for a bet that I was never paid. I also just do it sometimes to gross people out.

You put them on the barbie mate and then spit XXXX all over them

Thats the correct technique

De-veining is for whimped ass bitches. There is no time for that shit when there is a shit load of prawns to be eaten :D

If the prawns are cultured then the "poo vein" is of very little consequence anyway as the prawns are purged before harvest.

/Aquacuture nerd