• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Recommend a good new RTS

toa$t

Bluelighter
Looking for something with interesting single player as opposed to online play. I really enjoyed warcraft 3 and the expansion, so something like that would be ideal. Not concerned with a cool storyline or anything like that either. I have also never been huge on the command and conquer/red alert stuff since the very first few, but if there's something really stellar I'd be open to suggestions.

anyone?

edit: for OS X

I've been waiting for starcraft 2 for years now... It's finally here I think, the release date according to gamestop is 12/3/08.

I've been playing Age of Empires III to pass the time, if you really want something sooner.

that release date is apparently bs though. looking forward to that one too. i'll try age of empires

Yeah, never trust game retailer release dates until the developer has announced an official release date.
Then when it comes to Blizzard, don't even believe/trust their official release dates.

Empires III was decent, especially with the expansion packs. I'd def recommend them as you sound about like me when it comes to what to play.

I tried Sins of a Solar Empire, but tbh, I uninstalled it after one game. Yeah, you can zoom in tight for all the graphics, or play from a big-picture perspective, but the game play itself just didn't draw me in that much. :\

Hmmm....I'll have to go home and check what games I've gotten recently (and not had time to play) since it sounds like we'd have similar taste, but I can only comment on the ones I've tried (and perhaps can try a new one this weekend).

^no OS X. I plaed age of mythology a while ago and really liked it then. I just grabbed empires 3 so we'll see how that goes. thx for all the recommendations so far.

If you liked age of myth I'm sure you'll enjoy aoe III. I think it was the worst one in the whole series, but to each their own. I remember playing AOE I & II for at least 10 hours a day on msnzone when I was younger, I would see little people cutting down trees in my sleep lol

toa$t said:
edit: for OS X

1215879779090ui3.jpg

Dawn of war is great too, same with Company of Heroes. I'm more of the resource managing type so I learn towards the age of empires series and before that Red Alert.

You're asking about games on a Mac? I think they might have Tetris these days, that is kind of like RTS.

^^ I REALLY doubt it. Emulation is extremely lacking in graphical areas.

I imagine you could run the same games through emulation that you can run on Linux through emulation which isn't that many and often with a lot of problems. I'm not sure about actual installation of Windows on a Mac but I imagine it will suffer the same problems.

You'll probably hear about Half-Life 2 being run on a Mac and how absolutely great it works. Well, any Valve game I've seen always works cross platform extremely well. However, when it comes to other gaming studios you will pretty much always have some issue.

pardon me, I don't emulate/dual boot on my mac, but i was talking about dual booting windows, not emulating.

tell me more about this dual booting... I read something about boot camp but then also read that it was no longer available unless you shell out $130 for leopard, which I'm not really ready to do. is this what you guys are talking about?

Yup, it refers to two or more OS's (windows, OSX, Unix-like) present on one hard drive and being able to boot any one on startup. May apply to a multi hard drive setup two.

KaliKid said:
If you liked age of myth I'm sure you'll enjoy aoe III. I think it was the worst one in the whole series, but to each their own. I remember playing AOE I & II for at least 10 hours a day on msnzone when I was younger, I would see little people cutting down trees in my sleep lol

Ohhh me too! I mostly played in the custom scenario sections, though. It was made much better with the release of conquerors. I spent so much of my childhood on there and I wouldn't change it if I could!

I was part of the prestigious DKX clan (or at least I thought it was). I bought the game again so I could play online again but they don't even support games on the zone anymore (other than those crappy msn games). It all started going to shit in 2001 when most of the clan (including me) started to play runescape. Now runescape - I spent many hours of my life on that also but, unlike AOE, I would love to change that.