• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Your favorite poker players?

Bill

Bluelight Crew
Don't know if anyone around here likes to play/watch poker but I love both.

So I was just wondering who is your top 3 favorite players and why?

I Am Not A Gambler But I Like To Play Poker But I Hate To Loose Money

I like that fat guy who wears those hypno glasses. There's also this other guy who reminds me of Hunter S. Thompson that I like. Sorry, I don't know names.. maybe you know who I mean.

Stuey Ungar was the man. For being so good, for being a maniac, and for breaking the Texas monopoly in Vegas (oh, and for finishing 9th in the world series despite missing the last day because he was in hospital because he'd done too many drugs).

Kul69 said:
I like that fat guy who wears those hypno glasses. There's also this other guy who reminds me of Hunter S. Thompson that I like. Sorry, I don't know names.. maybe you know who I mean.

The fat guy your thinking of is Greg Raymer.

Infinite Jest said:
Stuey Ungar was the man. For being so good, for being a maniac, and for breaking the Texas monopoly in Vegas (oh, and for finishing 9th in the world series despite missing the last day because he was in hospital because he'd done too many drugs).

Yea they say Stu was the best tournament player ever right, too bad he let his addiction take over his life.

Really enjoy watching Devilfish and Neil Chapman play on UK tv

Daniel Negreanu.

He's incredibly skilled and accomplished, and he still has decades of play left in him.
He's one of the best 'readers' in all of poker. He often calls peoples exact hands.
He's super entertaining to watch. He's funny and always very polite to everybody.
You can just tell he would be a great person to hang out with. Those are some of the reasons that he's my absolute favorite poker player ever.

i used to quite like devilfish but, lately, all i see is a bad loser.

my favourite player is probably allen cunningham. he's not flashy and he lets his poker speak for itself. i've seen him make ridiculously good calls, bluffs and lay downs.

alasdair

alasdairm said:
i used to quite like devilfish but, lately, all i see is a bad loser.

I can definitely agree with the bad loosing recently.

Who would everyone say is the best reader in the game?

i have to be honest... i can't really get into poker... and i can't STAND that it's on tv, but i was warmed up to daniel negraneau when i saw him in that commercial where he likened playing poker to playing ball hockey. when i realized he was a huge hockey fan and started watching a TINY bit of poker on tv... i will admit, it was cool seeing him in some of the obscure junior league jersey's he'd wear. i remember him wearing a rimouski oceanic jersey (the team that sidney crosby played for in juniors). it was kind of refreshing. plus... he really does seem like a cool guy. i know i'd dig hangin out with him if i knew him in person.

ever since then i've been a fan of his despite the fact that i can't tolerate poker being on tv still. :D

^lol yea Daniel is a notorious hockey fan being from Canada I guess it makes sense. And yea as johanneschimpo said he is probably one of the best readers in the game, it's not unusual at all for him to randomly call out a players exact two cards during a hand. Truly sick how good he is at doing that.

As alasdair said Allen Cunningham is another very solid player and is not flashy one bit. I'd definatley put him in my top 3, he has made countless unbelievable lay downs, reads, and calls on tv.

And I can't believe no one has mentioned Phil Ivey yet.

Last edited:
^Wow you sure your not thinking of this Phil?

PhilHellmuth.jpg

^ the histrionics aside, i like phil hellmuth a lot more than i used to.

alasdair

I wonder sometimes though if he's just putting on a show for the camera's...

I'd have to go with Daniel Negreanu as my all time favorite. His reads are deadly accurate. When I first saw him play on TV I quickly was turned off by his aggressive cocky persona. But then after watching him play I understood exactly why he used his table image like that. Because he can. Because its intimidating and it works. He puts opponents under the fire and he does what he does like a true pro. He sweats down others who then give him the tells he needs and executes his next move like no other.

Next on my list would be Gus Hanson. The man is insane aggressive. Holds the perfect loose maniac image. He just controls the table he's at. Its cool as shit to see the expressions on players faces as Gus throws everyone around him on tilt. He does it even to the top pros. I watched a game where Gus would throw all in without even checking his whole cards. The look on Phil Ivey's face was priceless as he went on tilt.

Chris Ferguson definitely deserves to be on that list too. Jesus is like the Ice Man of poker. Its the way he flies. Ice cold, you get board and do something stupid he's got you.
Jesus has truly mastered the game of no limit hold em.

There was a time not to long ago that Stevie Baby might have been in that list but he kind of dropped down a few notches in my eyes with his drunken state.

When Negreanu calls hands, is he really claiming that he knows what they've got? Or is he making an educated guess, and trying to provoke a tell?

760rollz said:
Chris Ferguson definitely deserves to be on that list too. Jesus is like the Ice Man of poker. Its the way he flies. Ice cold, you get board and do something stupid he's got you.
Jesus has truly mastered the game of no limit hold em.

There was a time not to long ago that Stevie Baby might have been in that list but he kind of dropped down a few notches in my eyes with his drunken state.

In my opinion you can never truly master poker, I'm pretty sure its impossible but Ferguson has came very close to it with tournament poker. The play between tournaments and cash games are very different. One player who was one of the best all around in my opinion was Chip Reese.

And I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Scotty baby, he was once one of my favorites too, I too have lost a lot of respect for him ever since his behavior at the 50k HORSE tournament. :\

Bill said:
^Wow you sure your not thinking of this Phil?

PhilHellmuth.jpg
I'm sure.
Hellmuth has consistently had results. Ivey hasn't done anything in the past 3 years except cry when he gets knocked out of tourneys on day one. (Of course, I can't say anything about cash game performances since they aren't televised. I'm sure he does just fine there.)
Hellmuth cries when he gets knocked out as well, but he also posts a lot of results. And he's awesome to watch. Phil "the owl" Ivey is a fag, IMO.

phil1.jpg

i like phil gordon....he's funny.

apparently his nickname is "tiltboy".

lol.