• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Your favorite poker players?

i also like erik lindgren and was happy to see him win his first bracelet this year.

alasdair

I thought Gordon's nickname was "dickboy"... he's really annoying and not even close to funny. I don't think anyone in or out of the poker community likes that guy.

760rollz said:
Next on my list would be Gus Hanson. The man is insane aggressive. Holds the perfect loose maniac image. He just controls the table he's at. Its cool as shit to see the expressions on players faces as Gus throws everyone around him on tilt.

Speaking of Gus, I was railing a high stakes cap limit hold em game online the other night and Gus was just killing it after about an hour or so on this table he built his stack up from 30k to this 8o

gussy441k.jpg

I don't mind a bit of Gus Hansen or Billy Gazes... I'd love to have the insane reading skills of Daniel Negreanu also - but then, who wouldn't :)

johanneschimpo said:
I thought Gordon's nickname was "dickboy"... he's really annoying and not even close to funny. I don't think anyone in or out of the poker community likes that guy.

what?

you must be thinking of some1 else.

but, let's say you're not....

what has he done that's annoying?

and who doesn't like him? i've never heard anyone say anything disparaging about him.

Infinite Jest said:
When Negreanu calls hands, is he really claiming that he knows what they've got? Or is he making an educated guess, and trying to provoke a tell?

poker is about gathering information (bet sizes, bet patterns, physical tell, game theory) and narrowing the hand ranges your opponent could have.

The better you can analyze this info, the better you can narrow down the range. Daniel is pretty good at this, so he's able to make good "guesses"

And also, yes, trying to get a tell is also involved a bit.

alasdairm

Bill said:
Speaking of Gus, I was railing a high stakes cap limit hold em game online the other night and Gus was just killing it after about an hour or so on this table he built his stack up from 30k to this 8o

gussy441k.jpg

congrats on the final table :D

I love watching Hansen also. Ferguson is as cold as ice and actually a really nice guy, I had the pleasure of meeting him in Vegas. I hate Phil helmuth with a passion. With all that he has accomplished its like ya man we know who you are stop plugging books, and just play like everyone else. I love watching him lose big hands that pretentious douchebag.

MaxPowers said:
congrats on the final table :D

Thanks I ended up winning too. :)

And I was thinking about getting a small tourney together maybe like once a week or just whenever for BL'ers. If any of you are interested and play poker online just let me know I think it could be pretty fun.

Look at the amount of money on this table, its so sick these people are throwing up houses and aston marton's all in one hand of online texas hold em.

siiick.jpg

the coverage of this year's main event continues on espn.

i'm struck by phil hellmuth. i really like him as a poker player but he routinely berates people who beat him for being stupid with comments like "i raised preflop and this idiot calls with q/10 off. wtf?", etc.

if everybody playing poker did what they were 'supposed to do' every time, poker wouldn't be nearly as great a game as it is. as a poker player, one of the milestone lessons i learned was that you can't have a poker approach written in stone - you have to learn to adapt to conditions: table conditions; chipstack; position; tournament stage; whatever.

in the bigger picture, poker has changed. there are thousands of maverick, young, somewhat reckless players playing these days and the game has changed. phill hellmuth should know better.

i'd rather be an idiot with your chips than a poker expert with no chips.

alasdair

alasdairm said:
start with $50 and turn it into a grand :)

alasdair

I've done that a few times. :)

And I pretty much agree with everything you said about Helmuth. There is just no excuse for him to be so disrespectful sometimes.

OP BY JOHANNESCHIMPO No one's mentioned Phil Ivey because he's an overrated whiny prima donna bitch crybaby
WTF??....IM SORRY BUT YOU COULENT BE MORE WRONG ! ivey NEVER shows emotion never gets upset thats just 1 of the reasons that he is the top3 poker players on the face of the earth! also because he's fearless, aggressive , has a sick ability to read people , and could lay down a MONSTER when he's beat. another reason why your wrong is those tournys are 1k to 10k wich is shit to him .....he plays regularly in the "big game" which is a 4k/8k limit mix game with the other top players in the world and beats it consistently!

he is truly THE MAN....he beat amarillo slim to win his first bracelet and 200G'S in the first world series event he eve played in(not a bad way to star your pro career out west) and never looked back HE'S NEVER BEEN A "CRY BABY" ONCE (ON T.V) HE HS WON OVER 10,000,000$ PLAYIN POKER and is one of a few players that is a great "cash game" and tourny" palyer

and has the respect of doyle brunson phil hellmuth gus hanson daniel neganou....they have said it MANY TIMES THAT HES TOP 5 IN HE WORLD ..... thats why i think you must be thinking of someone else?? thats the only thing that wouldent sound idiotic....lol

my favs are .......Doyle Brundson,............ the late great STU UNGER (MY FAVORITE) "READ HIS BOOK ONE OF A KIND "...........Phil Ivey ,......... daniel negraonou (but i think he's close homo and has a shit peronality)

poker is about gathering information (bet sizes, bet patterns, physical tell, game theory) and narrowing the hand ranges your opponent could have.

alasdairm

Oh, I know. But he seemed (from the little I've seen) to narrow it down a lot; more than "he re-raised pf after two people called a raise, so there's maybe a 60% chance he has a high pocket pair [etc]" and more "he has queens".

But the last time I watched him was a year or more ago, and I may be misremembering :)

alasdairm

Daniel Negreanu.

Of all the Phil's (there's a fuckload of them) Phil Laak is my fave to watch.